Ten things gas stations won't tell you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you should have just remained silent. It got some creative replies. Although I initially found it odd, it worked out well.

Wow. Some of those things are laughably misleading. The rest are true, but those are just plain common sense.

I'm not sure whom I pity more: the people who wrote that and thought it was insightful, or the people who read it and think it is insightful.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Well, you should have just remained silent. It got some creative replies. Although I initially found it odd, it worked out well.

I have a big mouth.......it was a good test of people's sense of humor.

I don't endorse anything that I post. I agree with some of what is in the article.

I thorougly enjoyed it. It truly was an lol moment, more than one actually.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
....it was a good test of people's sense of humor.
True that, good stuff.
thumbsup2.gif

As for the article, nothing really surprising. The debit card info is good to know if you use a debit card. As for the credit card, I have a couple that I can use for gas rebate. One 5% on Shell only, one 3% on any brand. Works well if you pay off your balance each month. The savings add up.

Really? A Quart of detergent for every 8000 gallons?

Not buying it.

Quote:
It’s hard to know if you’re getting all the gas you paid for at the pump....
In 2005, 30 percent of the more than 2,000 complaints the department received were valid, and it levied $167,000 in fines.

Fines? And where are those fines going? Definitely not to the citizens who got scammed.

Quote:
Cars run on gasoline—but not all cars need gasoline to run. In fact, 6 million cars on the road today (mostly from U.S. manufacturers and built since 1998) are “flexible fuel” vehicles that can run on E85, a fuel that is 85 percent ethanol and only 15 percent gas. When Minneapolis resident John Schafer bought a car in late 2001, he chose a Chevy Tahoe because it’s a flexible-fuel car. Since then he’s filled up almost exclusively with E85. The big difference he’s noticed: Cars using E85 get about 15 percent fewer miles to the gallon. But it’s a drawback he’s willing to put up with. “I’m committed to the technology,” Schafer says. “With E85, it burns cleaner so it won’t pollute as much.”

33.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That list sounds like something ABC, NBC, CBS would put out on their evening news, but drag it out over 10 days--put out teasers at the beginning of the newscast, then think they are doing some great public service for all the sheeple.

Quote:
Fines? And where are those fines going? Definitely not to the citizens who got scammed.

It's a penalty for not cutting them in on it. Sorta like prosecuting Al Capone for income tax evasion.

This is a fair and just nation. Disorganized crime gets no breaks over organized crime. If you don't fill out the right forms and pay the proper fees, you cannot commit crime and expect to get away with it.

Quote:

It's a penalty for not cutting them in on it. Sorta like prosecuting Al Capone for income tax evasion.

This is a fair and just nation. Disorganized crime gets no breaks over organized crime. If you don't fill out the right forms and pay the proper fees, you cannot commit crime and expect to get away with it.

Spot on!

"Then every four days or so, when she needs to fill up, she checks the prices others have posted in her area. It turned out the Shell station she used to frequent is one of the most expensive in the city. Now she fills up elsewhere. “I really do feel like I’m saving money,” she says."

Duh? Did you not notice your gas station was the most expensive one? You needed the internet to tell you that?
33.gif

I work late shifts and I've noticed gas prices mysteriously drop a bit in the late evening hours at many stations. Can't remember the last time I filled up in daylight. That's my 11th thing gas stations won't tell you.

I think the most important thing they ignore is that the gas may be the same, but many low volume stations have ground water leak that can cause problem to your engine. I've had that before when pumping gas from a low volume "service station" that gave me misfire 2 days in a role in the morning, and throw a CEL until the next tank.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
The debit card info is good to know if you use a debit card. As for the credit card, I have a couple that I can use for gas rebate. One 5% on Shell only, one 3% on any brand. Works well if you pay off your balance each month. The savings add up.

Absolutely! I've managed to burn through more than $1K worth of free Shell gasoline since I got my card. Woo-hoo!

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I think the most important thing they ignore is that the gas may be the same, but many low volume stations have ground water leak that can cause problem to your engine. I've had that before when pumping gas from a low volume "service station" that gave me misfire 2 days in a role in the morning, and throw a CEL until the next tank.

I think this contamination is the primary cause for the problems most people blame on "bad gas". It's poor station maintenance, not the stuff that came out of the delivery truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back