Tempted to get a 85" TV this black Friday

I'd worry more about the Tesla spying on you than a TV.
Tesla gives you the option. I don't let it upload general information.

But if something doesn't work right, you can push the button on the right hand side steering wheel, say "bug report" then say what's wrong. Supposedly a short period of (retrospective) information from all the sensors will be uploaded. It gives you written feedback that the information has been received.

Owners have the chance to proactively provide Tesla with information on any problems. And I'm good with that.

I am most definitely considering a Sony. It seems they have implemented the Nextgen on most/all of their TV's

What is the lowest line from Sony that is still made by Sony?

BTW I'm at just a little over 14' from the TV. So not sure if I want a 75" or 85".
I couldn't answer that and be accurate. If I run into something I will let you know.
Its more of a blanket statement of the less expensive sets.

After answering the above I did a quick search, much of all Sony sets are now contracted much like the iPhone I guess. It was more simple but I see a decade has gone by.

I dont know how accurate these stories are but I think reasonably accurate, my previous remarks were based on Consumer Reports from some years ago and I do not know how long its been now. Maybe price wont matter in their case, except we know their Brava line is their upper tier.
USA Sonys it says are made in Mexico, Sony sold their factory there in 2010 to Foxconn and Foxconn produces the Sony sets for the USA.

It maybe the less expensive sets do not have local dimming. I know our X900 has it and the picture at first when we bought it and before we got used to it was almost 3d like .. but I dont want to make believe I know everything on a cost basis.
We just reviewed the model of what we were interested in over and over on the internet and made the decision for the model we bought.
here is a little something https://www.consumerreports.org/tvs/best-tvs-of-the-year-a3862868628/

You can subscribe to Consumer Reports online for $12. They have an EXTENSIVE review of TVs. For $12 I would think it would be worth the price to get an idea of what you are looking at and than once you know that, look for other "reviews" online though take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Short story - Warning to watch the size of the feet on these 85" TVs. I never thought to check and today I learned most media cabinets/TV stands are 16" deep, but the feet on the 85" Sony are 18".

Long story - Costco had an 85" LG in this month's sales flyer for $1099. I have sworn off LG products due to reliability concerns, but it was bundled with an extended warranty that gave it 5 years of coverage and this was too good of a deal to pass up. Get to Costco and I am told they had to pull them from the shelf due to a safety recall :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: but they had an 85" Sony for $1,599 that seemed like a really good deal so I went with that.

Get the Sony home and realize it won't fit on the current stand due to the depth of the feet! So go to the furniture store tonight and buy a new stand, $900. So if you're keeping track, my $1,099 TV has now cost me $2,500 so far.

Current situation -

O9SVyuA.jpg

Last edited:
And from now on you will notice the poor acting, poor special effects and the only thing that you will be able to watch without problems will be old school TV or nature shows.

Well the end result turned out nice, even if it was way more than I planned to spend on a stupid TV. I see why people talk so highly of these Sony sets, they are really nice.
Yeah, I get the cost thing my wife and I, we do a lot of things together but one thing we do not enjoy as much is going to movie theaters because we enjoy our sound system with our TV maybe just as much or more than a theater. So having a good video setup is the cost of entertainment to us and its available to us anyway of the week with no hassle.
What I am saying is, for us the price of admission is no more than if we went to the theater on a regular basis, actually maybe less expensive over the long run.
Great set up there, in another week or two as I am sure you know you will not even think about the cost. Im not much of a brand specific person but when a company exceeds my expectations or meets what I expect, they will have a long term customer as long as things stay that way... right now as you know from my posts Sony will be our brand into the future for now.
Many decades back we did have an issue with a Sony rear projection set and avoided the brand for a long time until just a couple years ago, do to rave reviews we went with the X900 and could not be more happy. (as you know)

Enjoy! Thats an incredible large screen. I am sure you are thrilled. We have a 65 I was torn between the price at the time $1,500 (few years back) and wall space, to the right of that speaker is an archway into the kitchen. Anyway, now we are selling our house and moving to a smaller home near the coast so it might be good only a 65 *LOL* I do think with prices today if I did it over I might push that to a 75, hard to say.

I know many mount above fireplaces but my wife and I prefer eye level and not fans of the look above the fireplace with a big screen.
When we first got it, the picture looked 3d ish. Got used to it now though.
PS, THE PINK POLKA DOT PIG IS OUR BLIND DOG FAVORITE TOY other than empty plastic water bottles. He went blind summer of 2021, amazing dog, just amazing, we got him that pig for Christmas, he never got to see it, but absolutely goes nuts over it. Will play, knock it around and bark at it for an hour. It oinks like a pig *LOL*

IMG_0091.JPG

Last edited:
We didn't connect our TV to the internet. That may be why we don't get those ads. I have no interest in my TV reporting to anyone what is being said in our house. I'm told smart TVs do that. For ad optimization purposes supposedly.

Paranoid? Possibly, but "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you aren't being followed."
Your Tesla does it too on same train of thought….

Your Tesla does it too on same train of thought….
You can allow your Tesla to upload information, or not. And I chose to not let it.

There is a way to report software bugs and I've done that a couple of times. It records what you say and uploads sensor data and control settings from a few minutes before your report until a few minutes after. Finally it gives you confirmation of a successful "bug report".

Back