Temporary tags in Mississippi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by JLTD

Originally Posted by oldhp
Contact your DMV see what they have to say. Doesn't sound right that you have to buy 2 plates.

The only temporary tag I can get here is only valid for 5 days. That's not enough time to get to Mississippi, get the car, and get home.

If you fly down to get it you don't have time to drive back?

Maybe then it's time to buy new and local.

Gee, thanks. That was quite helpful. Thank you so much!

Welcome! /snarky

In all seriousness, depending on where you live in New England, it's around 1500 miles one way. Round trip totally doable with a second driver (depending on age of the drivers), and flying down on Southwest would be pretty inexpensive, leaving only the drive back....which could easily be done in 4 days. I honestly don't see the problem.

EDIT: now I see the problem...you don't fly. Cool. Something I didn't see mentioned is calling the Mississippi DMV directly and asking for the temporary tag. You could also ask the seller to meet you part way, reducing your drive....your idea of the train might help facilitate that, stopping short of where the seller is.

And there's also the -kaff kaff- the fact that you wouldn't be the first person to go over slightly on a temporary tag.

Last edited:

I'm in RI now. The car (an extremely difficult model and option list to find) is in Mississippi. I will ship myself LTL freight before I would fly.

Just curious why the extreme aversion to flying?

Depending on what you're buying, I would still talk to Enterprise about renting a tow vehicle-neighbor rented a Dodge Ram (Cummins SRW 1 ton like mine) and a U-Haul trailer one way & hauled a Trans-Am to FL with it-it was CHEAPER than shipping it! Make sure whatever you're buying will fit on the trailer, and make sure the trailer tires are good (don't ask how I know...)!

Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by JimPghPA
Stop by a large notary office in your location and talk to them, and phone a notary in the state your are going to be buying the vehicle from. Verify that a notary near where you will be buying the vehicle will issue the temporary plate and after you buy the vehicle go to that notary (pay attention to what days of the week and hours they are open) and get the temporary plate and take it to the vehicle so you can drive it home.

That won't work in Mississippi like it does in PA. I lived in Mississippi for several years and tags and registrations are issued at the tax assessors office in whatever county you lived in, usually in the courthouse. There is no temp tags at any dealer as it is up to the buyer to register and tag a vehicle within 10 business days. (that and MS does not recognize any temp tag from any other state, you will be penalized)

To the OP, you might contact the tax assessor in the county you found the vehicle. They might be able to assist you and point you in the right direction rather than just speculation around here. Information on those "DMV" sites are vague at best. Be prepared to pay some ridiculous fees: MS likes to charge out the ying-yang for anything automotive.

Bullpuckey. Mississippi issues temporary tags for nonresidents buying cars in MS. Unfortunately, only dealers can get them.

Originally Posted by JLTD

Welcome! /snarky

In all seriousness, depending on where you live in New England, it's around 1500 miles one way. Round trip totally doable with a second driver (depending on age of the drivers), and flying down on Southwest would be pretty inexpensive, leaving only the drive back....which could easily be done in 4 days. I honestly don't see the problem.

EDIT: now I see the problem...you don't fly. Cool. Something I didn't see mentioned is calling the Mississippi DMV directly and asking for the temporary tag. You could also ask the seller to meet you part way, reducing your drive....your idea of the train might help facilitate that, stopping short of where the seller is.

And there's also the -kaff kaff- the fact that you wouldn't be the first person to go over slightly on a temporary tag.

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!

OK, yet again, at least the fourth time: in Mississippi, only dealers can get temporary tags. The dealer in question cannot or will not do so. I absolutely will not drive on an expired tag under any circumstances, because a moving violation of any kind will affect my employment.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Depending on what you're buying, I would still talk to Enterprise about renting a tow vehicle-neighbor rented a Dodge Ram (Cummins SRW 1 ton like mine) and a U-Haul trailer one way & hauled a Trans-Am to FL with it-it was CHEAPER than shipping it! Make sure whatever you're buying will fit on the trailer, and make sure the trailer tires are good (don't ask how I know...)!

Trailer rental is >$200. Truck rental will easily triple that. Enterprise is $400/week, plus that's only 500 miles, 29 cents/mile after that. Car is right at the limit of the trailer's capabilities. Getting it transported here is ~$700.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by e55amgbenz007
AAA.

Last time I checked, AAA only does 200 miles of free towing. It's probably more than 1200 miles from Rhode Island to Mississippi.

OP, sounds like you're stuck.

Either travel down to buy it after looking it over and then have it shipped or just buy it sight unseen and have it shipped.

Getting a trailer and towing it home will probably cost more than having it shipped.

Is this a new car or used? If new, the dealerships should be able to coordinate and get their internal shipping network to deliver the car to you in RI..

If used, try uShip.com and see what the rates are.. Might be decently inexpensive to get it shipped up..

OK, yet again, at least the fourth time: in Mississippi, only dealers can get temporary tags. The dealer in question cannot or will not do so. I absolutely will not drive on an expired tag under any circumstances, because a moving violation of any kind will affect my employment.

It's not rocket science.

Either:
Demand the dealer issue you a temporary tag, or refuse the purchase.
Fly there instead of take a train.
Tow the vehicle back.
Drive with a potentially expired moving permit.
Have it shipped.
Don't buy the vehicle.

People are giving you plenty of alternatives, just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're not viable.
Do your homework. Call the DMV from both states. We're not here to do your work for you and then listen to you complain.

With that said, I believe that Arizona has temporary movement permits which are easily purchased online. Not sure how long they are good for though.

Originally Posted by spavel6
Is this a new car or used? If new, the dealerships should be able to coordinate and get their internal shipping network to deliver the car to you in RI..

If used, try uShip.com and see what the rates are.. Might be decently inexpensive to get it shipped up..

I have looked into shipping...looks to be $600-750.

Originally Posted by heynow

It's not rocket science.

Either:
Demand the dealer issue you a temporary tag, or refuse the purchase.
Fly there instead of take a train.
Tow the vehicle back.
Drive with a potentially expired moving permit.
Have it shipped.
Don't buy the vehicle.

People are giving you plenty of alternatives, just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're not viable.
Do your homework. Call the DMV from both states. We're not here to do your work for you and then listen to you complain.

With that said, I believe that Arizona has temporary movement permits which are easily purchased online. Not sure how long they are good for though.

I have called the DMV. The result of those calls was this thread-because (for the fifth time, now) only dealers can get temp tags in Mississippi, and the 5-day tag available here isn't enough.

The Arizona temp tag might be an option, if I don't need an AZ license.

Simply put- either ship it or look for the car somewhere else. There is too much time and other issues do anything else in this case.

How bad do you want this car? Is driving it worth the hassle/risk?

Don't want to sound know-it'all or snarky- just would rather see your new ride get home safe.
cool.gif

I'm actually looking into the same thing myself- and I plan to include the cost of getting it shipped to me......

It is, literally, the ONLY car I have found optioned the way I am looking for in 4 months of searching.

It is, literally, the ONLY car I have found optioned the way I am looking for in 4 months of searching.

Buy it and have it shipped to your home.

my obligatory experience

It does seem weird to me that Missisippi's DMV won't take your money. Every state is different, obviously. Maine is very chill-- if you claim 30 days' residence they'll give you plates, and don't even check your driver's license.

NC issued temp plates to me, an out-of-stater buying from a private sale.

Maine issues single use, one-way travel cardboard "transit plates." You may need to ask for "transit" vs temp.

edit, it looks like MS is one of the states where plates stay with the car, like California. Maybe see if there are plates already on it, and if they can be transferred to you.

The dealer is there to service you, call them up and ask already. If they're on a border with another state they may be able to arrange a dealer trade with another dealer under less restrictive laws.

Could the dealer be holding out for an extra fee? (bribe) A dealer can usually make things happen if they want to sell badly enough.

Originally Posted by eljefino

edit, it looks like MS is one of the states where plates stay with the car, like California. Maybe see if there are plates already on it, and if they can be transferred to you.

They do not stay with the vehicle. You can transfer your existing tag to your new vehicle, but vehicles do not retain their tag. When you get a new vehicle and transfer the tag you get a credit on what time you had left on the old vehicle and pay the difference on the new vehicle. Did this with several vehicles when I lived there.

Originally Posted by eljefino
my obligatory experience

It does seem weird to me that Missisippi's DMV won't take your money. Every state is different, obviously. Maine is very chill-- if you claim 30 days' residence they'll give you plates, and don't even check your driver's license.

Mississippi temp tags are only issued by dealers, and only to out of state buyers. MS residents do not NEED temp tags.

NC issued temp plates to me, an out-of-stater buying from a private sale.

Maine issues single use, one-way travel cardboard "transit plates." You may need to ask for "transit" vs temp.

The dealer is there to service you, call them up and ask already. If they're on a border with another state they may be able to arrange a dealer trade with another dealer under less restrictive laws.

Already done. They do not issue temp tags, the tags do NOT stay with the car. Maine is a possibility...

Already done. They do not issue temp tags, the tags do NOT stay with the car. Maine is a possibility...

If you're serious, all you need is a VIN and proof of insurance. No title, no tax. You need an origin and destination, but IDK if they're only technically valid in state.

You could say you're going from MS to Kittery, just go via RI.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back