Temporary tags in Mississippi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by terry274
How about a link to the car?

If he's been looking for 4 months, he doesn't want to tip anyone else off who might be looking for the same. It might not even be there by now. Last couple of high option cars I bought, I got within 3 days of them being listed. I always found that after a week or two the rare ones were gone which is why you have to jump on them when you see it. Otherwise it's just another scam by the dealer to get you in the store and they hope you buy something else. They're also good at lying and telling you it's still there even if you ask 2 differnt people. One tip might be them not doing temp tags.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

Already done. They do not issue temp tags, the tags do NOT stay with the car. Maine is a possibility...

If you're serious, all you need is a VIN and proof of insurance. No title, no tax. You need an origin and destination, but IDK if they're only technically valid in state.

You could say you're going from MS to Kittery, just go via RI.
lol.gif

It's really that easy? Go to Maine DMV with the VIN and my insurance cards?

Originally Posted by Wolf359
How about a link to the car?

If he's been looking for 4 months, he doesn't want to tip anyone else off who might be looking for the same. It might not even be there by now. Last couple of high option cars I bought, I got within 3 days of them being listed. I always found that after a week or two the rare ones were gone which is why you have to jump on them when you see it. Otherwise it's just another scam by the dealer to get you in the store and they hope you buy something else. They're also good at lying and telling you it's still there even if you ask 2 differnt people. One tip might be them not doing temp tags.

It's the dealer's policy. They are right on the state line (<10 miles) and the owner "does not want to open Pandora's box".

The car you want to purchase.

I'm also looking at a 2019 Camaro a few states away so I understand. Lots of deals on left over inventory.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Really stupid problem to have isn't it.

Best answer is put insurance on the car right away and don't put plates on.

You're right...I am really stupid. At this point, I am leaning towards just giving up. Everything I do turns to sewage, every choice I make is guaranteed to be wrong. I should be used to it by now.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Really stupid problem to have isn't it.

You're right...I am really stupid. At this point, I am leaning towards just giving up.

I think he meant it's stupid that the individual states make it so difficult to buy a car in another state. But I could be wrong.

Well I didn't think it'd be that hard, but I went to the RI DMV site. What you would probably have to do is go down there and buy the car, fedex the documents to someone in RI who can get the temp tags for you and then have them fedex it to you the next day. Then you have 3-4 days to drive it back and get the vin checked. You'd have to plan the days so you're not doing this on the weekend where Fedex isn't that fast or the DMV is closed. Probably require one or two hotel nights.

Well I didn't think it'd be that hard, but I went to the RI DMV site. What you would probably have to do is go down there and buy the car, fedex the documents to someone in RI who can get the temp tags for you and then have them fedex it to you the next day. Then you have 3-4 days to drive it back and get the vin checked. You'd have to plan the days so you're not doing this on the weekend where Fedex isn't that fast or the DMV is closed. Probably require one or two hotel nights.

Which would probably cost at least $100 (the only viable way would be overnighting the paperwork both ways), plus (at least) an extra night in a hotel.

Is the car a Challenger? With manual transmission?

Of course.

Only other thing about the 5 day temp tags is that you need to present the title, bill of sale and driver's license. So does that mean it has to be the owner who is getting the temp tag or can you just make a copy of your license to have whoever gets the temp plates for you? It really boils down to the fact that RI seems to be a very unfriendly state to buy a car from out of state. Fedex costs and the extra hotel nights are the costs of living in your state.

At least MA, which doesn't even do temp plates, doesn't have a VIN check so you could just do regular plates and not be under the 5 day limit of the temp tag.

Only other thing about the 5 day temp tags is that you need to present the title, bill of sale and driver's license. So does that mean it has to be the owner who is getting the temp tag or can you just make a copy of your license to have whoever gets the temp plates for you? It really boils down to the fact that RI seems to be a very unfriendly state to buy a car from out of state. Fedex costs and the extra hotel nights are the costs of living in your state.

At least MA, which doesn't even do temp plates, doesn't have a VIN check so you could just do regular plates and not be under the 5 day limit of the temp tag.

There is a limited power of attorney that can be used in lieu of a license (you sign one when a dealer tags a car for you), but yes, RI makes everything difficult.

I might be able to get a temp tag from Maine...if so, problem solved. If not, unless I manage to convince the dealer to get me a Mississippi temp, I'm screwed.

This was much easier when I could borrow a dealer plate.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Take plate off Crown Vic and put on the Dodge.
Drive home.
Get tag and insurance.

Why make things soooo complicated ?

That's illegal in many places.

50 different states = 50 different ways this is handled.

OP needs to figure out what the law is in NC.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Drive home.
Get tag and insurance.

Plus the legality of each state he drives through with those plates on it.

Seriously, I would either pay to have it transported, or rent a trailer and haul it home.

It's really that easy? Go to Maine DMV with the VIN and my insurance cards?

Any town hall office (Kittery, Eliot) can help you, but you pay $13 instead of $12.
laugh.gif
The southernmost DMV is in Kennebunk, IIRC.

Ever wonder how come so many 18 wheeler trailers have Maine plates? We're easy.
cool.gif

If you have a date in mind, in the future, you can even have them post-date the plate to start that day (and run out 10 days later.) This way you can get this out of the way in time to use a Plan B if it doesn't work for some reason.

https://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/registration/transit.html

^^ It looks like they will issue permits to an out-of-stater. I don't expect them to ask many questions. Just say "my brother has a place up here".

I would ignore the inspection requirement, it's only enforceable in the state of Maine, where you won't be.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Drive home.
Get tag and insurance.

Its only illegal if he gets caught.
smile.gif
Just kidding.

But seriously, buy vehicle and put it on truck shipped back home. What's an additional few hundred bucks?

I already previously mentioned getting vehicle shipped home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back