Temporarily removing kid whose studying abroad from auto insurance

Kid is doing study abroad this semester. To save a few bucks, I tried talking to my insurance co. about temporarily removing him from our auto policy until he returns in a few months. He won't be doing any driving over there. They said they need a foreign utility bill with his name on it as proof or they can't remove him. He's staying in a school dorm with everything included in the housing fee so that's not possible. I asked if they'd accept a letter from the foreign university and they said no.

Have any of you guys had luck temporarily removing a driver?

I have never done it but what I don't understand is why do this particular insurance company makes it so hard to do it?
If I were you, I will change insurance company.
Don't include him in the quote, add him when he is back.

Yeah, sounds like total BS. Try calling back again and say you need to remove him, he's no longer in the country and you don't think he's coming back. When he comes back you say he changed his mind.

When our daughter went away to Arizona for college, our insurance company WOULD NOT remove her from our car insurance. So I changed insurance companies and save even more money for switching.

When #1 son was away at college, I told USAA to remove him as a driver with no uncertain language, and they did. Had a friend try to do the same with his son, and they refused. He had the supervisor look at all the policies he had with them and told them he would cancel each and every one of them on the spot if they didn't comply. With some grumbling, they did.
Call them back. Tell him he is no longer a driver in the household and to cancel him as a driver. Don't ask. Tell. If they refuse let them know you will be taking your business elsewhere. Then do it if you need to.
Once he is off of your policy, under no circumstance let him drive any of your vehicles without adding him back on.

I have never done it but what I don't understand is why do this particular insurance company makes it so hard to do it?
If I were you, I will change insurance company.
Don't include him in the quote, add him when he is back.
X2 Get a new provider.

I don’t see how dropping insurance for an individual is any different than dropping it for a vehicle that is no longer behind driven.

I think the reason they do that is the "risk" of them in the house using it. They know at anytime she could come back or never go. So they want "what if" money to be in their hands.

Kid is doing study abroad this semester. To save a few bucks, I tried talking to my insurance co. about temporarily removing him from our auto policy until he returns in a few months. He won't be doing any driving over there. They said they need a foreign utility bill with his name on it as proof or they can't remove him. He's staying in a school dorm with everything included in the housing fee so that's not possible. I asked if they'd accept a letter from the foreign university and they said no.

Have any of you guys had luck temporarily removing a driver?
When my son got his license, even though he had no intention of driving, our insurance company almost immediately sent us a new bill in the mail. They had assigned him to our policy as a driver and also assigned him to the newest, most valuable car in our 3 car fleet. With him, we now had 4 licensed drivers and 3 cars. I called the ins. co. and explained that he would not be driving and he only got his license as a form of ID. They sent me a form to complete stating as much and he was removed from the policy. If and when he decides to drive, we'll add him. It was relatively easy. We have Liberty Mutual.

I took my daughter off my policy a number of times with Nationwide when she was in college 400 miles away. No questions asked.

Years ago, USAA refused to remove a child away at school, stating that “the child will be home for school vacations and holidays and will have access to the car”. Which is BS. The child in question was added to my policy during a year off from school, and was going to spend vacations in another state, with my ex. He would not have access to my cars for over a year.

Another reason I left USAA (in addition to their outrageously high rates, egregious service, and substandard repairs.)

This types of BS from insurance companies is good reason to review your policy and maybe change companies all together, often getting lower rates/premiums for being a new client/customer.

Back