Temp gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all--running my '92 Toyota motorhome with a V-6 engine for the first time in warmer than usual weather. Noticed the temperature gauge seems to ride higher than I remember it doing. Usually registers about 1/3 of the way and now, when running at 65 mph and turning about 2500 rpm, it registers about 1/2 way. Does the combination of factors (warm weather, heavy load and high speed) have an effect on the engine temperature?? Thanks for any and all replies.

Yes, load and warm weather will cause the engine to run hotter but a cooling system in good condition can usually handle it. You might consider a good flush/refill.

Your thermostat may also be getting tired.

Keep an eye on it. I

It is normal for some vehicles. Just depends on how much "reserve" your cooling system has. IOW, is it right on the edge of heating up under normal conditions, or is the thermostat barely open, and there is a lot more cooling capacity left if needed? Each vehicle is different.

In your case, if it were mine, I'd do a thorough flush/fill and replace the thermostat (use OEM or Superstat).

Factory temperature gauges give such a vague idea of engine temperature, that I only use it as a way of knowing if the engine is very hot or very cold. This is why some people buy aftermarket engine temperature gauges in older cars, and use a scan tool on OBDII cars.

Get a service manual for your truck, and find a chart that tells you the resistance of the coolant temp sensor versus the actual temperature of the coolant. If it falls outside the chart, get a new sensor, I highly recommend OEM. Other times the sensor gies an inaccurate reading because the cooling system wasn't maintained right, damaging the sensor with corrosion, or insulating from temperature change by covering it with sludge.

It wouldn't surprise me if your cooling fan clutch and thermostat need replacement. I recommend OEM only. Some aftermarket fan clutches don't even last more than 1 year.

Have you cleaned your radiator and condenser? Sometimes when they get dirty, they lose the ability to properly dissipate heat.

Are you using A/C or not? That can cause engine temperature at certain times.

+1 on all the good advice offered here.
ABSOLUTELY use OEM parts in the cooling system.
I just went through a needless "double-do" exercise because I bought common replacement parts for Toyota (2003 Camry) cooling system. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back