Telluride - Dealer did not use recommended oil

I'm glad that you got this sorted out. :)
But is NOT sorted out. We need FMEA, Why did they use 5W20 in the first place. Until they fess up to that and correct it there is no hope for any other customer. Likely a culture issue in that store starting form the Owner and spreading down to the Service Manager.
But the buck should stop at the service manager.
Funny I had to do the same thing at my VW dealer for my leased Jetta, but I had to provide the oil AND pay for the oil change!

I changed the oil in my Ecosport myself this past weekend. I know what oil went in and what filter went on.

Last edited:
I'm taking the car in this afternoon to have the oil & filter changed and will be allowed to stand by to ensure that they use the right oil. After this, I'm pretty confident I won't be taking my car back to this dealer for regular service in the future
Are they the only KIA dealer around you ?

Any updates on this? Im still fuming...... I would never get my oil changed in Telluride

East Syracuse Kia did my parents dirty back in the day:
  • Stole $15 worth of change from the center console
  • Double-gasketed the oil filter on a Sportage, all dumped out in a mile
  • Had a salesman call my dad to buy a new car because they didn't want to do warranty repair on the Borrego
That said Kia seems to appeal to less intelligent folk, so 5w20 vs 5w30 often doesn't matter to those who can't read.
Your last statement is insulting. You're basing peoples intelligence on the brand of vehicle they drive? So what brand of car do intelligent people drive? Oh by the way you just stated that your parents, by your logic, are less intelligent.

Your last statement is insulting. You're basing peoples intelligence on the brand of vehicle they drive? So what brand of car do intelligent people drive? Oh by the way you just stated that your parents, by your logic, are less intelligent.
That doesn't sound like bashing the band so much as it does bashing the Stealership. Yes there are good dealers and then there are dealerships that the various brands of cars should be pulling their franchise. I the sixties we had a dealership that was so bad and had so many complaints that Chrysler did that. They are now out business for a long time.

Look it up buddy. Kia preys on lower income less educated people. How my parents who are a lawyer and business owner managed to get swung by them, I don't know, but now we drive Hondas and Toyotas because we're sick of the crapmobiles they churn out.

Look it up buddy. Kia preys on lower income less educated people. How my parents who are a lawyer and business owner managed to get swung by them, I don't know, but now we drive Hondas and Toyotas because we're sick of the crapmobiles they churn out.
Because Honda and Toyota never have any problems. It took Honda and Toyota half a century to get where they are, and were called cheap Japanese garbage for many years.
Hyundai/Kia have been getting better and better over the past 20 years. Sure they have had issues, as have all makes (Including Honda and Toyota).
We get it, you don't like H/K, but there are many here with nothing but great results with them (I am one of them, as are several family members).

ALL dealers prey on less educated people (ie anyone financing any vehicle or most anyone buying a new vehicle) regardless of brand. That argument does not hold up.

Back