Telluride - Dealer did not use recommended oil

Call corporate and let them know the wrong oil was used and you want documented proof that they are aware. Then have the dealer change it out and also provide documentation that they used the wrong oil. Go in with proof from the owners manual that it takes 5w30 and that 5w20 is not listed as an option.

Make this “a thing”.

If you go in to complain, whose to say they will put the right oil in after you complained? There is no guarantee next time they will put the right oil in either. Dealers make at ton on the back end. More than on sales. I would write a letter to the dealership, explain the situation, CC Kia USA. Tell them you are no longer going to get your service there. When you go to a place you are at their mercy. No one will care about your car the way you do. Often the people (no offense to anyone here) that work at these places aren't there because they love the work. The business model isn't set up to foster a culture of caring about quality of the end product. Get them in and out as fast as you can. That is what they get rewarded for.

Change your own oil or go to a local place that you can trust. You probably don't even need a jack to do the oil on that suv. Bet you have the clearance.

While 5W-20 vs 5W-30 isn't the end of the world, if you raise a stink with the shop, their corporate folks, and so on, why in the world would you go back ? It ain't about the money in this case. An oil change, even at the dealer, isn't going to be more than $50-60. If it's this important to you, don't give them a 2nd chance .... to do who knows what to your vehicle.

^^^^This, never complain loudly and then trust them with your car again. Its like being nasty about a problem at McD and then eating the next burger they send out to you. If you can be nice and understanding and get it taken care of they MIGHT do it right without messing anything else up, otherwise complain but dont go back.

Huh? ACEA A5 does exist.
Stay on your hate wagon if you wish, again, some facts seem to escape you.

I know nothing about any dipstickgate issue, so no comment on that.
On the 8 H/K products I have had or worked on, never had an issue with dipsticks.
Huh? ACEA A5 does exist.
Stay on your hate wagon if you wish, again, some facts seem to escape you.

I know nothing about any dipstickgate issue, so no comment on that.
On the 8 H/K products I have had or worked on, never had an issue with dipsticks.
What is higher than ACEA A5? Please enlighten us here! We will owe you forever.

If it makes you feel better the 3.8 V6 has specced 5W-20 as an option in other applications/previous years/previous iterations. That being said I'd want 5/10w-30 in it.

Demand they change it and if they refuse call Hyundai and see what they have to say about it. Using 5w-20 because your temps are more moderate is bull :poop: . It's not like it's 20 degrees Fahrenheit year round in SC...
2015 Hyundai Genesis Coupe with the V6 called for 5W-30.

Based on the OCD on here you think the motor will blow up in the next 5,000 miles.....quite unbelievable frankly.

Can you telluride is not running as smoothly as usual with the wrong oil?
Seeing it's breaking-in it might well be "peppier" though noisy when pushed or in mountainous towing situation, I would proffer.
I recall the days gone by when we builders would run Dexron - back when it included sperm whale ester oil. The engines were never peppier..

OP tell us, Any Odd engine noises or marginal increase in engine racket?

Last edited:
Based on the OCD on here you think the motor will blow up in the next 5,000 miles.....quite unbelievable frankly.
I think most of us have our pitchforks and clubs out because if you can't trust the dealership to put the right oil in and when you confront them about it they blow you off with a BS excuse... what can you trust them to do?

This is like a tire shop mounting a directional tire backwards and telling you "They get better traction in the rain like that" when you ask about it.

Wait, they do not have any more "ACEA A5 or higher" which does not exist?
Get your facts together. Forever Hyundai vehicles had in a manual recommendation for oil that does not exist and yes, has different oil dipstick in the same engine. Last time I checked, Hyundai/KIA are the same company.
Where do you see "ACEA A5 or higher" in the image in post #5?

1620743852774-jpg.56785

I've been "loud" as in firm, not "loud" as in rude. Courteous. Calm. Firm.

After making several calls and leaving messages and an e-mail for the service manager and not getting a response, I called Kia corporate this morning and opened a case. The (very polite) Kia CSR put me on hold to gather information on my visit, etc. While on hold, I received a call from the dealer's service rep that had worked with me on the initial visit. The Kia CSR came back on the line and told me he had sent a note to the dealer and had cc'ed a Kia manager. I'm sure the call from the dealer's service department at that very moment was purely coincidental 🤣

It's been less than 50 miles since the oil change was performed. I'm taking the car in this afternoon to have the oil & filter changed and will be allowed to stand by to ensure that they use the right oil. After this, I'm pretty confident I won't be taking my car back to this dealer for regular service in the future 😉

I've been "loud" as in firm, not "loud" as in rude. Courteous. Calm. Firm.

After making several calls and leaving messages and an e-mail for the service manager and not getting a response, I called Kia corporate this morning and opened a case. The (very polite) Kia CSR put me on hold to gather information on my visit, etc. While on hold, I received a call from the dealer's service rep that had worked with me on the initial visit. The Kia CSR came back on the line and told me he had sent a note to the dealer and had cc'ed a Kia manager. I'm sure the call from the dealer's service department at that very moment was purely coincidental 🤣

It's been less than 50 miles since the oil change was performed. I'm taking the car in this afternoon to have the oil & filter changed and will be allowed to stand by to ensure that they use the right oil. After this, I'm pretty confident I won't be taking my car back to this dealer for regular service in the future 😉
I'm glad that you got this sorted out. :)

it’s good that o.p. got it sorted, it’s bad that it took a call to corporate. o.p. was inconvenienced and aggravated, the dealer should make him whole by offering a couple of free oil changes at least.

it’s really disgusting when one has to fight to get the proper service and product that one has properly paid for.

Glad it's getting resolved OP. Hopefully this is the exception and not the rule for this particular dealership. There are very good one's out there. The one where we bought our Hyundai's from is excellent all around.

Amazing how people do the right thing after you hold their feet to the fire. For everyone that calls the corporate office there are thousands that don't and the dealer counts on that.

Dump the dealer. You can never trust what they say or do. Watch them change the oil and get the heck out of there.

Back