Telluride - Dealer did not use recommended oil

How do you mean warranted for the long term?
Warranted as in justified. Establishing a relationship w/ them in case I need to use the dealer's services at some point in the future. What I found instead is the justification to refrain from ever using them.

Warranted as in justified. Establishing a relationship w/ them in case I need to use the dealer's services at some point in the future. What I found instead is the justification to refrain from ever using them.
I guess you spoke to one of the service advisors the first time you asked about it? It's honestly weird to not just own up to a mistake, I.E. "Sorry, we'll fix it, no big deal" when it's such a small ticket item. What's it hold 6-7 quarts of oil? With the dealer's bulk pricing we're talking a few bucks and 15 minutes on the lift tops. Don't even really need to change the filter.

I guess you spoke to one of the service advisors the first time you asked about it? It's honestly weird to not just own up to a mistake, I.E. "Sorry, we'll fix it, no big deal" when it's such a small ticket item. What's it hold 6-7 quarts of oil? With the dealer's bulk pricing we're talking a few bucks and 15 minutes on the lift tops. Don't even really need to change the filter.
It is astonishing how stupid people are. I mean, in the real-world, anyone would say: sure, it happens, see you next time.
I think it is indicative of the "office culture" in that dealership.

That's true too. Our local dealer used to actually be very good, offered very competitive pricing for maintenance, etc. I had a timing belt changed by them on our Hyundai in 2013 and it was ~$450 for new belt, tensioner, water pump, idlers -- everything.

It's due for another and I was quoted $1250 for the exact same service.
yeah... that's a bit more than inflation....(which btw would only make it $511.66) I wonder how much of that is due to parts prices going way up because of availability issues recently... or if it was still under warranty before so that covered part of it....just wondering out loud....

I think I paid $5-600 for the Timing belt etc. on my '00 Sonata back in '05... at the local Dealer (CDJ, Buick, GMC, Hyundai - Buick and GMC had their own service dept, while Hyundai was serviced in with the CDJ guys. )

I would go back to the dealership and show them the owners manual and ask for the correct oil to be put in the vehicle.
5w-20 is not an option listed, and should not be in that motor, regardless of what they think.

Wait, Hyundai/KIA is still trying to figure out how to write in the manual which oil is correct, and still figuring out how to put the same oil dipstick consistently in one engine. So, give mechanics a break. 10-20 years, they will get there.
It is very clear in the owners manual what the correct oil is. It was posted in the 5th post of this thread.
The dealer screwed this one up, and dealers do what dealers do, nothing to do with brand.
It is quite apparent you don't like H/K, but at least get your facts straight when bashing a product.

I live in South Carolina. I took our 2021 Kia Telluride purchased August 2020 (9 months ago) for it's 7,500 mile recommended maintenance (oil & filter), tire rotation, etc. The owner's manual recommends 5w30. The dealer used 5w20. When I inquired they told me it was because it's South Carolina (i.e., our temperatures are more moderate?). Does this jive?
Call Kia corporate and open a case file, so that it is properly documented at Kia, in case of long term issues

I would go back to the dealership and show them the owners manual and ask for the correct oil to be put in the vehicle.
5w-20 is not an option listed, and should not be in that motor, regardless of what they think.

It is very clear in the owners manual what the correct oil is. It was posted in the 5th post of this thread.
The dealer screwed this one up, and dealers do what dealers do, nothing to do with brand.
It is quite apparent you don't like H/K, but at least get your facts straight when bashing a product.
Wait, they do not have any more "ACEA A5 or higher" which does not exist?
Get your facts together. Forever Hyundai vehicles had in a manual recommendation for oil that does not exist and yes, has different oil dipstick in the same engine. Last time I checked, Hyundai/KIA are the same company.

edyvw said above: "I think it is indicative of the "office culture" in that dealership."
How fancy we've become. Office culture? How 'bout, "They're lying, unscrupulous dogs who don't care about what they do."

The Hyundai dealer we test drove a car with claimed he couldn't feel the ridiculous wobble. He later gathered his literary skills and said, "Oh yeah, the car's been sitting so the tires have flat spots".

We're so prissy we can't even call a filthy liar a filthy liar anymore. Plain and simple.

How much farther away is the OP's next nearest Hyundai dealership.

yeah... that's a bit more than inflation....(which btw would only make it $511.66) I wonder how much of that is due to parts prices going way up because of availability issues recently... or if it was still under warranty before so that covered part of it....just wondering out loud....

I think I paid $5-600 for the Timing belt etc. on my '00 Sonata back in '05... at the local Dealer (CDJ, Buick, GMC, Hyundai - Buick and GMC had their own service dept, while Hyundai was serviced in with the CDJ guys. )
I had my 06 Elantra timing belt w/p pulley kit (Oreilly's kit ,belt was Gates marked
made in US) , done in Aug. 2020 done by local indy for just under $500.
I thought that was a really good price. I price shopped and one indy wanted $1100, another $850, and local Hyundai dealer quote was $950.

The rampant incompetence of Kia service departments is the primary reason I crossed a Stinger GT2 off my list of prospective replacements for my 2er.

“...of all service departments...” would be more accurate.

Wait, they do not have any more "ACEA A5 or higher" which does not exist?
Get your facts together. Forever Hyundai vehicles had in a manual recommendation for oil that does not exist and yes, has different oil dipstick in the same engine. Last time I checked, Hyundai/KIA are the same company.
Huh? ACEA A5 does exist.
Stay on your hate wagon if you wish, again, some facts seem to escape you.

I know nothing about any dipstickgate issue, so no comment on that.
On the 8 H/K products I have had or worked on, never had an issue with dipsticks.

The rampant incompetence of Kia service departments is the primary reason I crossed a Stinger GT2 off my list of prospective replacements for my 2er.
East Syracuse Kia did my parents dirty back in the day:
  • Stole $15 worth of change from the center console
  • Double-gasketed the oil filter on a Sportage, all dumped out in a mile
  • Had a salesman call my dad to buy a new car because they didn't want to do warranty repair on the Borrego
That said Kia seems to appeal to less intelligent folk, so 5w20 vs 5w30 often doesn't matter to those who can't read.

Back