Telluride - Dealer did not use recommended oil

The rampant incompetence of Kia service departments is the primary reason I crossed a Stinger GT2 off my list of prospective replacements for my 2er.

That's why I won't buy another Hyundai either. My wife got a free oil change with a recall and ended up with 7.5 ish quarts in a 6 quart sump.

I am with you there. They still seem to operate like the adjunct to a used car lot they they use to be.- at least in my county.
Now I was surprised by my VW dealer being bone heads too.

I'm starting to think service departments HATE customers and are out to shaft them where they can.

Must be from all those years of implausible warranty denial arguments they are forced to put forward
When I worked at my BMW dealer I know that the service advisors would go to bat for the customer in 99% of the cases. We looked for ways to help the customer as opposed to looking for any reason to deny coverage.

Manual does state a 5 or 10w30. Will it hurt anything probably not but definitely have the dealer fill with specified weight. I'd be most concerned with a 20 if you're going to be towing or trailing.

If your car purchase included a maintenance package, I would be especially vocal about it. If you have a powertrain issue later down the road and it somehow happens to be oil-related, that could be bad news.

If you did not get a maintenance package with your purchase, I would recommend changing your own oil and filter moving forward if that can be done. This way, you aren't relying on the lowest common denominator at a dealership goofing up your $30k asset.

All it takes is a drain plug that's too loose or too tight to have a real bad day.

If your car purchase included a maintenance package, I would be especially vocal about it. If you have a powertrain issue later down the road and it somehow happens to be oil-related, that could be bad news.

If you did not get a maintenance package with your purchase, I would recommend changing your own oil and filter moving forward if that can be done. This way, you aren't relying on the lowest common denominator at a dealership goofing up your $30k asset.

All it takes is a drain plug that's too loose or too tight to have a real bad day.
I normally would consider doing it myself or going to "my" mechanic. But it being the first service maintenance, I decided to take it to the dealer.

Also, to access the oil filter on this vehicle requires first removing several bolts securing an undercarriage panel. Then it needs the right sized socket (27mm) to fit the hard plastic filter cartridge housing. So I am a bit leery of doing it myself. I long for the simpler days of the old metal casing filter and oil pan drain plug 😒

I normally would consider doing it myself or going to "my" mechanic. But it being the first service maintenance, I decided to take it to the dealer.

Also, to access the oil filter on this vehicle requires first removing several bolts securing an undercarriage panel. Then it needs the right sized socket (27mm) to fit the hard plastic filter cartridge housing. So I am a bit leery of doing it myself. I long for the simpler days of the old metal casing filter and oil pan drain plug 😒
They cannot deny a warranty if someone else did work.
Apparently, that "maintenance" deal is not worth it if they do not know what they doing.

Call Kia Corporate Customer Service and let them know. I am sure they would welcome knowing that one of their Dealer's is not following Corporate guidelines/requirements. I am fairly sure that there is some contractual obligation between corporate and the dealer whereby the dealer's service department is contractually obligated to use the proper oil and other parts.

Must say In 8 years of wrenching on Hyundais, and about half of them with the plastic filter cartridge housing, we never had a broken one or with bad thread.

Not all Kia dealerships are awful, but more than should be are. :rolleyes:
That's true too. Our local dealer used to actually be very good, offered very competitive pricing for maintenance, etc. I had a timing belt changed by them on our Hyundai in 2013 and it was ~$450 for new belt, tensioner, water pump, idlers -- everything.

It's due for another and I was quoted $1250 for the exact same service.

That's true too. Our local dealer used to actually be very good, offered very competitive pricing for maintenance, etc. I had a timing belt changed by them on our Hyundai in 2013 and it was ~$450 for new belt, tensioner, water pump, idlers -- everything.

It's due for another and I was quoted $1250 for the exact same service.
That's a pretty easy DIY project for less than $150 that includes buying the tensioner tool.

They cannot deny a warranty if someone else did work.
Apparently, that "maintenance" deal is not worth it if they do not know what they doing.
There was no requirement nor deal... I just surmised that the first visit might be warranted for the long term. Unfortunately, I wasn't wrong.

Back