Telluride catch can?

Just bought a new Kia telluride. Should I install a catch can? Some people love them and some say no real proof they do anything.
It’s probably going to void a warranty even if it’s somewhat related to it.

I don’t think I’ve heard too much about carbon buildup causing trouble on Hyundai/Kia GDI engines. (or of course, they could be drowned out by the other failures or just die before hitting those high mileage numbers - it’s definitely there to some extent though.)

I’ve personally decided to do nothing on my engine as long as things operate well but if it were me with a new vehicle I’d probably do that spray cleaner every so often.

But of course it’s subjective, this is just my completely unprofessional leaning. I remember reading somewhere Hyundai/Kia engines dump more fuel in to try to hit the intake valves on cold starts so I’m sorta depending on that, but also of course I could be mistaken.

I would not do it. Not Sure if its dual injected or just single GDI. I borescope'd my 50K mile 2.4L Single GDI engine about a month ago, and it really wasn't bad on the carbon portion. I don't see a catch can doing much, and if you run the lines a bit far, and live in a cold climate, it can freeze and stop flowing. Not to mention if any warranty items pop up, and they see it.

Just bought a new Kia telluride.
How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

Should I install a catch can?
No, it will void your warranty, guarantied.

Some people love them and some say no real proof they do anything.
And some people experience a leaking rear main seal after installing one.

It’s probably going to void a warranty even if it’s somewhat related to it.
Yep, it sure will.

Not worth the trouble it will cause at the dealership and mechanically later on. Most modern engines pull a very large crankcase vacuum, trying to reinvent the wheel will have negative effects.

I paid 54k out the door for who was asking
I was asking, thank you for replying. Yes, that was very expensive. I would definitively not mess with such an expensive vehicle. On the flip side, service it yourself as much as possible and keep good records. Congratulations! I hope it lasts you for a long time!

I was asking, thank you for replying. Yes, that was very expensive. I would definitively not mess with such an expensive vehicle. On the flip side, service it yourself as much as possible and keep good records. Congratulations! I hope it lasts you for a long time!
I hear ya, I won’t mess with it. I plan on taking care of it so hopefully it’ll be around a while with lots more miles to come.

Back