Tell us about your auto loan...

The Genesis was something like $20k OTD 12/2019, I used the dealer's financing they offered for 4.99%, 60 months. Payment of $375 or something like that, not sure as I had it set to autopay for $400.

Just refinanced for 2.94% a couple weeks ago with my credit union for 48 months, but I'll continue to make larger payments and get it paid off sooner.
Make sure the extra amount gets applied to the principal and not the interest.

Current fleet of 5 vehicles are all paid/owned. However, here were the loans on the most recent purchased new.

'18 VW Altas - 6 years @ ~4.5% w/$15K down VW Credit - payment was about $500 I believe on an OTD of ~$44K so ~$30K loan. Paid it off in the first year. Took crappy dealer loan to get best OTD price knowing I would either pay it off or re-fi to my credit union with better terms. First dealer loan ever on this one.

'18 VW Golf Sportwagen - 5 years @ ~4.5% w/$8K down local bank - payment was about $300 I believe on an OTD of ~$20K so ~$13K loan. Paid if off in the first year. Took crappy dealer loan to get best OTD price knowing I would either pay it off or re-fi to my credit union with better terms. Second dealer loan ever on this one.

My buying history was always to get my own financing at my bank/credit union but the last two above I played the game a bit and ended up with a lower total OTD/total cost scenario with crappier loans. I also never trade in cars. My bank would have been in around 2% for both of these for 5-6 year loans. As always, do the math. The little bit of extra interest I paid over the first year of the loans didn't overcome the lower OTD price I got for doing it this way. Car dealers' margins are low on new cars so they make it back in finance office. Basically they dropped the OTD price about 1-2K for me taking the loans b/c they get some kick-back which is fine to me. Just know the game and how it's played.

I've always heard of it, of people who can make money on trading in, often. I've never understood it, always thought it was luck on their part?

I haven't had a car loan in 5 years. If I buy a car on a loan would I be saving money?

Ok, that's inflammatory. I guess if one is committed to having a monthly payment, is the deal to always be on the look out, to see if it's time to flip? If one has bought into the notion that they will always be paying some amount per month--is that how you get ahead on these loans?
That's it - some folks just look purely at a payment and if they can trade-up and continue the same or lower payment, they think they are winning regardless of the overall balance sheet approach of looking at it in a net-worth type way.

Walked into VW dealership after negotiating price on my 2019 Jetta. Brought with me an aluminum briefcase. Inside of it was a check from my Credit Union for the OTD price. I wore sunglasses and walked with authority to the finance guy's office. Slapped the briefcase onto his desk, clicked it open, spun it around, opened it... and there was the check. I made him grab it. I paid off the loan in about 8 months.

Nobody thought it was funny.

Just curious: is a $500-$900/mo monthly payment a significant part of your overall monthly budget?
No, but I like to keep any car payment under 500 a month I made an exception for the truck. I financed 21,000 on the truck back in July of 19. I pay 600 bucks a month and I will have it paid off in under 4 years. Interest 2.89 % through USAA. All my other stuff is paid for, including the travel trailer. The only really big bill I have is my mortgage.

Not really, we put about 2500 a month into retirement savings and also go on a five figure trip every year (well, not last year...).

But we also don't have kids so that makes a big difference.
Kids burn that money up. LOL. My daughter goes to a private school, 700 bucks a month. She needs the small class size, but the wife and I each put 10 percent of our pay checks into TSP and we have separate savings/retirement we put additional money into. Plus both kids have college funds. Remains to be seen if they will use them.

I've always heard of it, of people who can make money on trading in, often. I've never understood it, always thought it was luck on their part?

I haven't had a car loan in 5 years. If I buy a car on a loan would I be saving money?

Ok, that's inflammatory. I guess if one is committed to having a monthly payment, is the deal to always be on the look out, to see if it's time to flip? If one has bought into the notion that they will always be paying some amount per month--is that how you get ahead on these loans?
I have had three trucks in the last 10 years. This has been mentioned before, once you are in the truck market, with crazy high resale values-it's easier to trade up to a nicer, newer model. Of course COVID has turned the market upside down, but normally you wait for "Truck Month" when you could get $10,000 to $12,000.00 off sticker (through discounts and rebates)-then go in with $30,000.00 equity on your trade. and then a $60,000.00 pickup becomes affordable. That's "trading up". But yes-you always have a payment.

Reactions: JTK
That's it - some folks just look purely at a payment and if they can trade-up and continue the same or lower payment, they think they are winning regardless of the overall balance sheet approach of looking at it in a net-worth type way.
Networth is separate of a car loan. For some of us we are unaffected.

Reactions: JTK

My wife has a Wrangler, we bought it six years ago, on a very regular basis we get letters or calls from the dealership saying they can get us into a new Jeep, for the same payment. It's awesome when you reply that it's paid off and they can give me a new Jeep for nothing? Usually just radio silence lol. At least do your homework...

That probably really does work a lot though.

0.9% financing for 60 months for the CX-5, plus deferred payment for 3 months, plus some amount of rebate that I don't remember from 6 months ago. For various reasons I was rather astonished that I qualified for the promotional financing.

Used to have car loans. Retired in 2007 with no debt so everything has been on a cash only basis since then and will stay that way. But when younger, raising a family, it was either a loan or walk.

Just curious: is a $500-$900/mo monthly payment a significant part of your overall monthly budget?
Not remotely...I can easily spend that on takeout/restaurants during normal times.

$900/mo isn't a significant part of your monthly budget?

Mazel tov to you guys!

I should have paid attention more in school.. Or maybe not have gotten married and had 4 kids. LOL

OTOH, I love how the OP specifically asked about loan terms and half the responses are from cash buyers.

Myself, I don't go for a loan if it's not under 3% interest and I typically don't exceed 60 months. I have done a 72. I've never bought a vehicle more expensive than about $28K all-in. I try to keep my car loans so they're not more than $400/mo and I often have 2 of them.

Last edited:
4 pages of my ***** is larger then yours.

My last car loan was 8.89% for 135 months. After I cashed in my Gamestop shares I paid it off and went back and bought six more so I could drive a different car every day of the week.

My last car loan was on my Mustang. I financed $22K @1.69% for 60 months. This was from my credit union. I ended up paying it off a couple of months early in 2018.

Got my Veloster at 0% for 48 months. Going over numbers had me losing an extra 200 bucks in fees if i took the $1500 rebate at the time instead of the financing. No prepayment penalty and due to living with parents at the time, was able to pay off in under two years.

4 pages of my ***** is larger then yours.

My last car loan was 8.89% for 135 months. After I cashed in my Gamestop shares I paid it off and went back and bought six more so I could drive a different car every day of the week.

I have a loan-and truth be told the payment isn't that much. But I'm not sure what the Op's intent is. Does he want to buy a new car and validate that he is not alone when he finances-or what? OR-trying to find a loan amount he can justify? At any rate I don't see the point of this thread really.

Back