Tell me what's wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend bought a used 2011 Escape with 27,000 miles. While I was checking out the oil filter location, I spotted this. Looks like the CV boot is leaking on the passenger side. I read on a Escape forum that the 2009-2011 Escapes have CV joint issues? The car still has 8,000 miles before the BTB warranty is up. So bringing it in, isn't a problem.

photo7_zps5b993c38.jpg

Here is where I would be concerned. If the boot is ripped or torn it lets grease out and dirt/water in. You should push for a new joint since there is a good chance it really is damaged by dirt/water. However they may just want to wipe it clean and replace the boot.

Certainly I would wipe the boot clean and see if you can look in the rip to see the grease condition. Maybe a grease sample with a Popsicle stick.

Originally Posted By: JethroBodine
Make them replace the axle. The grease in the boot and all of the internal parts are contaminated.

+1

Originally Posted By: JethroBodine
Make them replace the axle. The grease in the boot and all of the internal parts are contaminated.

Ford does not even offer boots for those vehicles, so they would do an axle.

It looks like a torn boot. Stick your finger in there and you might find a rip in the interior pleat. I have done that with my pinkie finger. Rips can be really small. I once found one only about 9 mm in length. Make sure the oil or fluid is not dripping down from somewhere else. Break fluid mixed with dirt can look a lot like oil for instance.

Is that the ABS cable?? Looks to me that it has come loose and caused the damage. If so, I doubt they would warranty the repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back