Tell me more about Subaru Imprezas

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the search for a sporty sedan/coupe with a manual transmission, I came across the 2007 Impreza 2.5i (not the WRX or STi). It's only $17k and is full-time AWD and has 173 hp.

I hear Subaru parts are expensive, but what I would like to know is how good these cars are in terms of reliability, durability, and overall cost of ownership.

Will it have 30,000 small problems like my Fords?

In general Impreza's are quite reliable cars. If it makes an iota of difference they are all built in Japan along with Forester. Consumer Reports has the non-WRX/STI very reliable while the WRX/STI above average. My acquaintances experience and my own (2004 WRX) agree.

The only qualm is the outdated interior material wise. My WRX reminds me of a early - mid 1990's Honda.

Durability is very high on these cars they last around new england as people hang onto them. Cost of ownership is higher due elevated fuel consumption due to larger motors coupled to full-time AWD. There are also some extra fluid inspections in AWD that many turn into replacements driving service costs up a bit.

Parts I have no idea, I guess it depends what your basing it on.

The AWD subes use more fuel than a comparable 2WD.

Generally very reliable vehicles.

The WRX models are very expensive to insure (downunder at least), as their rally heritage makes them number one choice for criminals. (A workmate's brother had his stolen, and by the time it was recovered...trashed...it had been used in a kidnapping and a ram raid.

My 2005 Outback Sport (based on the Impreza) has been an exceptional vehicle so far. I have just over 30K on it, with the only problem being a rattle in the center dash AC vent that was replaces by the dealer. Other than that the car performs well, has plenty of power, is fun to drive, and gets 35MPG on the highway at 60MPH.

The fuel mileage drops to around 30MPG when I have to pull my trailer.

The all wheel drive was great in the snow last winter, even on my long, steep rural driveway. In the snow it is as sure footed as my Wranger was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back