Tell me about the 351W FI of the 90s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a '94 E350 with this engine. 70K actual miles.
I have the OM for the van, in which Ford recommends a 5W-30 for all conditions for the 351, while a 10W-30 is recommeded for the 300 six, the 302 and the 460.
Is there anything to watch out for with this engine?
FWIU, this is a pretty stout and solid design and although it has decent power, its specific output in this application isn't all that great.
Fuel economy seems a little better than what I would have expected from this hefty beast, although that's based only upon how quickly the fuel gauge needle has moved to the left over the 120 or so miles I've driven it thus far.
What can others who've had 351Ws tell me about this engine?

I had a 351W in a 94 F250 HD extended cab long box. It was very under powered to say the least. I pulled a gooseneck with it, and it did the job. It just took forever to get up to speed. I will say it was very reliable. I never had to touch the engine other than regular maintenance. It was a very heavy truck so mileage wasn't the greatest, but again it did the job. If I remember it correctly I believe the 351W was the base engine in my truck. I ran Shell Rotella 15w40 in the truck, because that is what my grandfather bought in bulk. On a side note, I had a 92 F150 with the 300-6 and that truck is still going. I sold it to my uncle and, it has over 350,000 miles on it.

I had a '94 E-250 351W work van, biggest problem (other than eating transmissions) was plugged EGR passages & continuous codes due to that. Otherwise it made it to 185K without other problems.

They are good engines like most Fords whenever we get a rebuild on them its because they were not maintained or there is very high mileage on them.The construction companies put a ton of hard mileage on them with little to no problems

It's a stroked 5.0/302 so it's reliability is pretty much legendary.

I had a 96 ford truck with a 351. It was well powered with a load on. Never towed with it though.
We also had one in a van. That Van could haul just about anything. It was awesome.

the 351 has bigger mains and a tallerdeck than a 289\302.they are pretty tough and dont normally die unless abused or have tons of miles.

great engine imo. i was looking for a truck with a 351 when i bought my diesel,couldnt find one.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
the 351 has bigger mains and a tallerdeck than a 289\302.they are pretty tough and dont normally die unless abused or have tons of miles.

great engine imo. i was looking for a truck with a 351 when i bought my diesel,couldnt find one.

This. They are definitely not just a stroked 302. They have a higher deck height and 3" mains, both traits not found in the 302.

That said, they are generally extremely durable (like the 302) and will give a lifetime of uneventfulness if taken care of.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Chris142

This. They are definitely not just a stroked 302. They have a higher deck height and 3" mains, both traits not found in the 302.

That said, they are generally extremely durable (like the 302) and will give a lifetime of uneventfulness if taken care of.

Indeed, there are significant differences. Would that they could be as reliable as the 302, which is an amazingly well built motor IME...

It'll get whatever oil I pull from the stash.
This uses an oil filter with a thread size and pitch I don't think I have, so I'll probably just pick up a Motorcraft for the three bucks and change it'll run.
I have a Wix that might be appropriate, but I'll have to check.
10W-30 is allowed for temps above 0F, although 5W-30 is listed as "preferred" for all temps. I've got some QTP 10W-30 jugs, so that's probably what'll get. I've also got some Chevron Supreme syn 10W-30 in quarts. Too bad this engine only takes five quarts.
I doubt that we'll drive it enough that it'll need more than one oil change each year.
I caught fuel at $2.85 today at Kroger and had .60 off in Kroger fuel points, so I filled it. It took 28 gallons, so it still had a good bit left in the tank. Wasn't too painful at $2.25/gal but would hurt at four bucks.
It's kind of neat to drive a vehicle tall enough that you look down at the occupants of Suburbans and the like.
This is the largest and heaviest thing we've ever owned as well as the only V-8 we've ever had. It has more than double the displacement of our next largest engine and more than three times that of my BMW.

Check the gear ratio in the rear axle. If it's got a really high gear that can make it feel really sluggish. If I remember correctly thee 250 & up F & E series had a 3.55 or higher rear gear. So if you have something like a 3.08 or 3.31 then going up to a 3/55 or 3.73 would make a definite difference in how the van feels.

Originally Posted By: AdRock
Check the gear ratio in the rear axle. If it's got a really high gear that can make it feel really sluggish. If I remember correctly thee 250 & up F & E series had a 3.55 or higher rear gear. So if you have something like a 3.08 or 3.31 then going up to a 3/55 or 3.73 would make a definite difference in how the van feels.

It has a 3.54 Dana.
According to the OM, available axle ratios could be had as short as a 4.10.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: AdRock

It has a 3.54 Dana.
According to the OM, available axle ratios could be had as short as a 4.10.

A Dana, really? That's surprising! My old F-250 had a Ford 10.5 with 4.11's in it. Most of the time you got a Ford rear.

According to the OM, axle code 33, which this thing has, it's a Dana.

I just went through an axle swap on a Quigley converted E350, also self contained RV. She went through three axles on her trip, and the last shop welded in the right wheel bearing. Upgraded to The full floater Dana 70 from semi-floater Dana 70.
People tend to associate E series and F series. Engine and transmission and Ford emblem are about the same. The E series were almost all Dana rear axles. F series after 99 were Sterling/Ford. The bolt pattern also changed on the F series.

Mostly either rears are very durable, but not interchangeable.

Also, powerwise, the bolt ons that work for mustangs will benefit the van as well, especially exhaust upgrades/cylinder heads/breathing. Programming I believe is chips, if still available.

Ford switched most F-series from Danas to Sterling axles in the 80's. My 1992 F-350 had a Sterling rear axle, as did a 1992 F-350 wrecker I drove. Earliest Sterling I have seen was a 1987.

Vans (including big cutaways) used Danas...IIRC, other than the E-150 and 250's 9.75 semi-floater, they still do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back