Tell me about the 1st gen Cadillac CTS-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read, repeatedly, that the differentials in these cars are extremely brittle and prone to failure, especially if you drag race. But nobody has mentioned any of that in here so I'm curious if any who have first hand experience with these cars can wave away that concern or confirm it.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
First gen was only available with the T56 6 speed. The early ones (04 to 05) had the LS6. The later ones (05 to 07) used the LS2. The stock clutch is a pretty good unit at stock horsepower levels. Most of these cars would run anywhere from 12.80 to 13.40 depending on conditions and driver.
The weak spot is the rear end. There are kits out there designed to manage the wheel hop and prevent breakage.

In my first post about the car.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Mykl
I've read, repeatedly, that the differentials in these cars are extremely brittle and prone to failure, especially if you drag race. But nobody has mentioned any of that in here so I'm curious if any who have first hand experience with these cars can wave away that concern or confirm it.

That's not exclusive to this car, GM had the same problem with the F-body. If that's the achilles heel of this car and can be remedied, it is a heck of alot better than those of other cars in and above its price bracket, but in the same performance category.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
One belongs to a track rat friend, basically stock. We have both beat the heck out of it since new. He has had a couple of extremely minor glitches, infotainment and such. Six speed stick in a 4 door. Tune only, otherwise stock. DEEP into the elevens in street tires!!!

Then it must be an LSA CTS-V, because no 1st gen LS6/LS2 CTS-V is going 11s with just a tune.

Ben:

You know anybody with one of these? There isn't a Ford equivalent (or I'd be looking at it) on the market. This car is basically less expensive competition to the AMG, M5....etc. And you and I both know the powertrain is pretty bulletproof
smile.gif
The pricing on the 1st gen cars is pretty reasonable (found an '06 for $16K yesterday with 128,000Km on it....) which is why I'm looking.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Ben:

You know anybody with one of these? There isn't a Ford equivalent (or I'd be looking at it) on the market. This car is basically less expensive competition to the AMG, M5....etc. And you and I both know the powertrain is pretty bulletproof
smile.gif
The pricing on the 1st gen cars is pretty reasonable (found an '06 for $16K yesterday with 128,000Km on it....) which is why I'm looking.

Yeah, I've known several people that have had them. No real complaints that I'm aware of.

I have an '04 CTS-V it's a great car. My only gripe is the location of reverse being next to 5th gear on the pattern. The stock shifters (they say) tend to be sloppy. Mine had a UUC shifter in it when I bought it. Everything else was stock with regard to the drivetrain. I installed a MagnaCharger MP112, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust & 160F thermostat. The ECM has been slewed on a chassis dyno. It's a great car I plan to keep. Here's a short video of the dyno run [img:center]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=549055451799775[/img] I couldn't get it to post straight up....newb

Last edited:
I would love to own one myself. The only US car besides a large SUV or pickup I would even consider.

My wife has had the opportunity to help her friend pick it up from the dealer for maintenance a few times as her friends husband has one. Her friend not comfortable with manual nor car so my wife drives it for her with a massive
smile.gif
. I don't believe theirs has that many issues just maintenance.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

In my first post about the car.
smile.gif

Ah yeah, sorry about that. I was scanning the thread for the word "differential" and "rear end" didn't trigger my brain.

That's not exclusive to this car, GM had the same problem with the F-body. If that's the achilles heel of this car and can be remedied, it is a heck of alot better than those of other cars in and above its price bracket, but in the same performance category.

Yeah, I work with a gentleman who drives (abuses?) a C6 who claims that one of the weak spots on his particlar car is the differential.

It's nice to know that the issue is fairly easily resolved in the CTS-Vs.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyRoastBeef
I have an '04 CTS-V it's a great car. My only gripe is the location of reverse being next to 5th gear on the pattern. The stock shifters (they say) tend to be sloppy. Mine had a UUC shifter in it when I bought it. Everything else was stock with regard to the drivetrain. I installed a MagnaCharger MP112, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust & 160F thermostat. The ECM has been slewed on a chassis dyno. It's a great car I plan to keep. Here's a short video of the dyno run [img:center]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=549055451799775[/img] I couldn't get it to post straight up....newb

Very nice
thumbsup2.gif

How old was it when you bought it?

Lol

I go to research the cts-v and one of the first finds that pop is "Tell me about the 1st gen Cadillac CTS-V" on Bitog. I wish I had a million bucks to bet on who made the thread haha.

Looks pretty good so far Mr. Overkill
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Overkill, I thought you were a Ford guy??

What are you doing thinking about a GM?
lol.gif

Ford doesn't make a car for this segment
smile.gif

lol.gif

smile.gif

I am glad you said it. I was going to. Remember you have to be true to your heart...I personally would rather push a GM than drive a Ford...but if I had to I would rock a one.

lol.gif

smile.gif

You got a point there!

lol.gif

smile.gif

Well there's only so much they can do with the Taurus.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

lol.gif

smile.gif

Well there's only so much they can do with the Taurus.

Yup. I want a V8 and RWD in a high performance luxury sedan. Like the M5, the CTS-V fits the bill nicely
smile.gif
And is much more mod-friendly than the M5.

You can get a screaming deal on E55 AMG's these days.

One of my friends just sold his after over 140k hard miles and lots of track time, also lots of Brabus mods with a top end over 200.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

One of my friends just sold his after over 140k hard miles and lots of track time, also lots of Brabus mods with a top end over 200.

That's probably going to require more coin than I'm willing to spend here. I can get a very nice CTS-V for 16-18K with the LS2, put on the LS3 heads and intake and the power output goes up significantly. That's not even putting a cam in it
crazy2.gif
Cam, tune, and a blower? Not only cheap on an LSx, but reliable and stupid power. And as ls1mike noted, even if you do blow something up, replacement parts are dirt cheap and everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I think the AMG cars are beautiful. But doing what I've got in my head is going to require a lot more money than I'm willing to put forward. That's not the case for the CTS-V.

That's probably going to require more coin than I'm willing to spend here. I can get a very nice CTS-V for 16-18K with the LS2, put on the LS3 heads and intake and the power output goes up significantly. That's not even putting a cam in it
crazy2.gif
Cam, tune, and a blower? Not only cheap on an LSx, but reliable and stupid power. And as ls1mike noted, even if you do blow something up, replacement parts are dirt cheap and everywhere.

Just my personal preference, I would keep it NA (do everything but the blower). I love to see a car that is just a NA beast.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

crazy2.gif

Don't get me wrong, I think the AMG cars are beautiful. But doing what I've got in my head is going to require a lot more money than I'm willing to put forward. That's not the case for the CTS-V.

Overkill you know what I'm going to say... Go for it!
laugh.gif

The original CTS-V is a great performance car, even if the interior is a little bit below what you might be used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back