tell me about kia sedonas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not hearing much complaining about these. 2003 vintage. How are they?

Bear in mind most minivans have fairly major defects of one sort or another. These are getting cheap. What gives?
laugh.gif

I can change a timing belt. Not a dealbreaker.

My dad bought a Sedona brand new in 2002. Was great. Only 1 repair and that was an alternator. He didn't drive it much as he was retired and then got real sick. We gave it to my sister a year ago and it's still great. only about 60,000 Kilometers on it though.

Serious rusting issues. They fall apart. They cheapened stuff like exhaust (not stainless), struts, and other bits. That was experience of two friends in NS.

You do see a few ~10yr/old Sedonas in my area, or what's left of them for that matter. Engine/drivetrain might be OK yet, but the body, lighting and everything else was still in the early Kia stage IMO.

Then again.. most 10yr/old minivans are pretty rough.

Joel

i believe the engine is solid. the transmission not so much. i've seen tons of them on CL for very cheap. it is also very overweight compared to the competition.

the 2006-current vintage is lightyears better. i owned a 2008 for 2 years and it gave us zero trouble.

MSN's data is often pretty good: LINK

Looks pretty good to me. I briefly considered one when I bought my last car but couldn't get past the fuel economy, which is probably the biggest problem. Around here, I think that by far the best bets are Gen 1 Odyssey's. Something like this.

2.2L 4 cylinder, so they're (relatively) easy on gas, and the transmission in those are pretty much bulletproof. 1999 is the year they went south so anything before that is good. Problem is, I don't how a 13-15 year old Honda in Maine will be in terms of rust. We don't have that problem. There really don't seem to be any "gotchas" on the 95-98 Odysseys/Oasis.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Odyssey/

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliab...id=2817#VIP_TAB

I've been looked at old beater vans on and off for a while now. My Eurovan has gotten to the point that I just can't trust it to start. It's like I need a caravan driving with me every time I get in it.

^ Yeah I saw a lot of isuzu oasis cabs in NYC in 1998. Cabbies here are driving Caravans now. I figure they know something.
laugh.gif

They're heavy. That's probably why it gets such bad gas mileage even for a minivan.

I'd rather get a Quest/Villager from that time.

The 3.5 Sigma V6 is a little underpowered. Few more horsepower and couple more ft-lbs torque than the smaller OHV 3.3 Chrysler V6. Less on both counts than Chrysler's pushrod 3.8. Significantly less than the 240hp 3.5 Odyssey. It seems to to be a decent engine for reliability.

It didn't have fold flat seats or power doors like the competition did. (or roll down rear windows like the Mazda MPV) That might not be such a bad thing. No doors stuck half open when the motor fails or track breaks.

I don't know what was going on with Kia and that weird orange plastic woodgrain at that time. The dash is sickening. Weird orange fake wood and pea soup green instrument lighting. Horrific. Terrible because the controls are fairly logical and the gear selector is almost normal in comparison to some minivans.

Suspension?
21.gif
...meh. It's a minivan. Not going to be carving corners in it. They used click type ball-point pen springs in the front. Seems like they got a little closer to the proper spring rate in the rear. Squishy undersprung front, decent back.

But if you can score one for less than a similar year/mileage/condition 3.3l Caravan....yeah, sure. Why not?

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I'd rather get a Quest/Villager from that time.

To me personally, they always seemed like they took the worst aspects of Ford and Nissan and combined them. I like the VG30...hate everything else.

Who cares about rocker panels? chisel em off. cut out out cab corners and wheel arches, spray and keep driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back