Tell me about 2011+ Mustang GT convertibles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got the itch for a just for fun car and am considering a drop top Mustang V8 2011+. They seem to be depreciating nicely and would fit my need of a somewhat useful back seat. Looks like around $20k gets a really nice one that used to be over $40k new.

Any of you fine individuals have experiences owning one of these? Specifically the convertible version. Thanks!

I rented a V6 convertible in Vegas. I was impressed. It had the heated and cooled seats which was a nice feature. The roof mechanism was also very nice. Took a while to get used to all that hood in my line of vision but that's an American car for you. Golf clubs fit in the trunk!

Owned a '12 V6PP a few years back. I REALLY liked that car. Didn't have the off-idle torque that some V8's have, nor the sound (even with aftermarket exhaust) but man what a great car! Drove just amazing. Nice stiff chassis, well sprung and damped even on 19 inch factory rubbers. That car had 3.31 gears and could have used a lot more but even the 3.7L NA V6 hauled arse through the power bands. Never had an issue with the Getrag 6spd, either... though lots of people have. Base model interior, but even so was quite comfy. Plus it fit my 6+ feet and 250lbs just fine.

I really miss that car.

Edit: It was a coupe, though. So thats something...

Last edited:
I have owned a 2006 GT for the past 10 years and it's been a great car. Same chassis as the 2011-2014, albeit different engine and trans.

Weak points are the MT-82 6 speed manual. Make sure you test drive it thoroughly and do some high rpm aggressive shifts to make sure you don't have the dreaded 'gear lockout.' If you're buying an auto, disregard, as it will have the nearly bulletproof 6R80.

Check the hood for paint bubbles/blistering, especially under the hood at the seams. Ford still can't figure out how to properly prep aluminum. All of the 2005-2014 cars will have paint bubbles and peeling on the hoods at some point. This could be a great bargaining chip for you.

Listen for a tick at idle on the 5.0 - some do it, some don't, but I don't think it affects their longevity.

Listen carefully for clunks or grunting over bumps. Control arms and strut mounts have been an issue on this car since day 1. They're cheap and easy to fix. I can pull a strut in about 20 minutes on these cars.

EPAS power steering on the 2011's had some early failures. Also some 2011's had an issue with crank position sensors that would cause a misfire at 4000rpm, mostly on the manual cars. There was a TSB issued years ago about it, so it's probably a non issue.

Try to get a car with the brembo pack. If you ever want to track your car, the 13.2" rotors on the 5.0 will be overwhelmed if you do any track days.

All in all, pretty solid cars. In the 10 years I've had mine, I've had to do control arms and rebuild the diff (blew up from an improper gear install).

Check the other usual stuff, tires, brakes, etc. Parts are cheap, cheap to mod, reliable, lots of fun. What more could you ask for?

I made it a point to rent the 5.0 GT convertible every chance I got. Great car all the way around. A pleasure to drive, and wonderful on the highway with the top down. Also very comfortable on long highway trips.

Last edited:
Canadastang,

Does the manual transmission improve at any particular model year? I remember hearing complaints about it pretty early on, following that generation's release.

Originally Posted By: terminaldegree
Canadastang,

Does the manual transmission improve at any particular model year? I remember hearing complaints about it pretty early on, following that generation's release.

05-10's had the Tremec 3650, which IMO is a very stout unit, but not the greatest ratios. 2-3 are too widely spaced, and 5 is a .68 in most models, so it's basically just a 4 speed plus overdrive.

11-14's had the MT-82 and supposedly Ford made revisions here and there, but my understanding is that some were good, some were bad. They were built in China, yes really, and I think QC was an issue.

Basically, if you find a used one and it drives fine, it'll probably be okay, but there were tons of users with issues on brand new trannys.

I spoke to a tranny builder a while back about them, and he said they'll shift ok with good fluid, a good shifter and that bushing insert that whiteline sells, but it's hit or miss as to whether you'll get a good one.

IMO if you're buying one that's a few years old and has some mileage, but it shifts fine, you're probably in the clear.

Why Ford didn't stick with Tremec is beyond me. Oh wait it's all about $

I looked at one that was cosmetically trashed even at only 14k miles. Stuff you can't really see in the pictures online. I will have to keep looking for an exceptional car and price.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Why Ford didn't stick with Tremec is beyond me. Oh wait it's all about $

I agree. The Tremecs are the best shifting and most bulletproof standards imo.

Good cars... but folks will be thinking:

v4yxg1hg7l72wozrrd6r.gif

Honestly, I have started to see some of the Shelby GT500 creeping into the mid-20s with decent miles. A neighbor has one down the street and I know when he is taking it out for a drive.

I don't know that i would want a GT500. I would sooner build that power on a coyote engine for less. The 5.0 responds so well to headers and a bit of boost.

Originally Posted By: dareo
I don't know that i would want a GT500. I would sooner build that power on a coyote engine for less. The 5.0 responds so well to headers and a bit of boost.

Legitimate point, that is one way to get there. I just find that the pricepoint that you are looking at with the model range makes the GT500 an interesting option.

I would go the Rouch (if I could find one if I was in this market segment) over the GT500 but compared to the modified regular GT, the GT500 for non-power plant upgrades (brakes, suspension, drivetrain upgrades on top of the power) as it is more of a packaged/known product. That is me personally. The other side is that when you wish to move onto something else, you have a GT500 to sell rather than a modified GT. Even non-Stang folks tend to take notice of the GT500 where as a boosted Coyote is a shrug.

It seems to me that people serious about the GT500 platform are upgrading the superchargers. (2011-12 5.4L modular GT500) Why not put that $$$ onto a much cheaper 5.0 and if you do wish to part with it later on you just return the coyote to stock and sell the S/C kit for lots of money. It wouldn't take too much effort to decharge a coyote.

I don't really understand those 700+ hp guys anyway. The power is almost never useful. 9 to 11 lbs per hp is what i think is the sweet spot for fun power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back