Tell me about 07 Subaru Tribecas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
No I don't want one, but my wife's girlfriend has one. Right at 100,000 miles. Check engine light is flashing runs like timing in messed up or it is missing. Girl has two kids and no money. She purchased it with 90,000 miles on it.

I need to get it fix (Please leave the I don't see how this is your problem stuff out...
laugh.gif
), either I pay for it or I do it. Right now she just drove off in my Grand Prix since she needs a car, and that is my daily driver.
frown.gif

I don't have a current OBD II scanner (can-bus) but I was hoping some folks here knew about them.

Looks HORRIBLE to work on. I believe it has a timing chain.

Its a subaru boxer h6 the EZ30, cant give any advice without knowing more than "It sound bad what do I do"
They aren't inherently bad but they dont suffer abuse well.

So I'd recommend taking it to autozone, aap or somewhere else where they read the codes for free and post back with the trouble codes.

It has timing chains IIRC.

A flashing Check Engine light is a gross misfire.The converter is loading up with raw fuel.At the very least the converters will be damaged,at worse the vehicle might catch fire.You have a bad plug,coil,injector,valves,any number of things.Being a Subaru at 100K,you probably need head gaskets and cylinder heads anyway.

Let me caveat, I am mostly looking for problem areas.

Sounds bad is vague. It is a miss with the check engine light flashing. Not drivable. No power. It runs but I doubt it would have made made it to my house 6 miles away. I used my flatbed and truck to pick it up. It sure feels like a skipped tooth on the timing chain. Not much about the Tribeca on line, does this share a motor with the Forester? Plenty of stuff about this issue on line for them.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
A flashing Check Engine light is a gross misfire.The converter is loading up with raw fuel.At the very least the converters will be damaged,at worse the vehicle might catch fire.You have a bad plug,coil,injector,valves,any number of things.Being a Subaru at 100K,you probably need head gaskets and cylinder heads anyway.

I know it is gross misfire, problem is there is no room to get at anything in there.
I didn't think this motor suffered from head gasket or head issues.

Just a shot from the hip - It probably needs some fresh plugs. Being a H-6 engine they are not the easiest to get to. Bring a side of zen.

I agree with Rand, take it to an AutoZone or Advance and have them scan it for you and see what codes are active. Like NHGUY stated, a flashing check engine light is a hard miss fire. The 100K comment and head gaskets should be aimed at EJ engines, the EZ is not as likely if memory serves.

They are timing chain equipped engines, but I'm not sure what that would have to do with miss fires.

Edit: Saw your post above. I'm not sure what to tell you now. I'd try to sweet talk an auto parts store employee with the promise of buying parts to loan you a scan tool, unless you want to go through a bunch of parts.
The EZ engines (6 cylinders) were not available in the Impreza/Forester line.

Last edited:
google can be friendly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subaru_engines

The ez30d mid revision. copy/paste

EZ30D: 2999CC DOHC, 245ps (180 kW) @6600 rpm, 297Nm@4200 rpm. Bore 89.2 mm, Stroke 80 mm. Compression 10.7:1. This version had one exhaust port per cylinder, a drive-by-wire throttle, a black plastic intake manifold, VVL and AVCS. It was available in manual and automatic unlike the old EZ30D. Found in the 2003–2009 Legacy 3.0R, Outback 3.0R and 2006–2007 Tribeca Engine horsepower reported as 250 hp, in Subaru of America publications in 2005. It made its debut in the 2005 USDM model year.

As I alluded to in the earlier post these engines are not tolerant of abuse/lack of oil changes etc.

For example the timing chains are lubricated with a jet of oil.. crusty oil can cause major issues.. like timing chain/chain guide wear etc.

IMHO:
Subarus are notorious for being traded in.. in bad shape by previous owners without a clue... usually the new owners get burned by the seller.. sometimes quite fast.

what does the dipstick look like? Under the oil fill cap?

trans fluid? (i know not directly related but may give an idea of potential neglect?)

clogged air filter?

trying disconnecting the battery for 10 mins, this should reset the ECM and any learned idle settings.

I tried all the normal stuff. Oil looks fine just changed. I don't know the history. I do know where she bought 6 months ago and asked her not to buy there or at least get something GM because I am familiar with them and can fix that stuff easily.
Her last car was a Suzuki XL7, it was towed behind a motor home. I was always doing something to that. Now this thing. (insert bad word of your choice here.
smile.gif
)

Screw it I am going to buy a Can-bus scanner so I have one for Equinox.

In the mean time I have figured out how to do the plugs and coils they need it so I will change them and go from there. (some nice person posted a video on line on how to do it. I love my cars even more after seeing that video)

If it is still bad after that I will trailer it over the Subaru dealership and see if the chain pooped itself. If I have to pay I will pay. I don't want to drive my 4 door, long bed 2500HD everyday!

Thanks!

I'd hold off on the coils until you check the codes and see what the plugs look like. I wouldn't work on anything until I checked the codes. It may point you to something specific.

Pulled 2 plugs. They are toast. If I am going through all this it gets coils too. I don't thrust them after I have to pull them out as they are coil on plug. I don't want to have to go back into it.

You can probably find plenty of info on the Subie flat six online. The Trib has always been a very low volume seller, so I'd search by engine and not model.
The six was offered in other Subaru models as well, notably the Legacy and still is.
I've heard of these engines needing timing chain and tensioner replacements at fairly low mileages. They may be somewhat more sensitive to neglect than were the old EJ flat fours, which could be neglected and abused and would just come back for more.
I know that Subaru actually recommends an early first oil change for the six.
If this thing has timing chain problems, you'll probably find it easier to remove the engine to fix it rather than trying to do the work with the engine installed.
A slipped chain would of course cause the symptoms you're seeing.
The problem, of course, will be in making a good diagnosis before undertaking major work.
I hope that the owner is a really good friend of your wife, since you're looking at what may be a real PITA job.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You can probably find plenty of info on the Subie flat six online. The Trib has always been a very low volume seller, so I'd search by engine and not model.
The six was offered in other Subaru models as well, notably the Legacy and still is.
I've heard of these engines needing timing chain and tensioner replacements at fairly low mileages. They may be somewhat more sensitive to neglect than were the old EJ flat fours, which could be neglected and abused and would just come back for more.
I know that Subaru actually recommends an early first oil change for the six.
If this thing has timing chain problems, you'll probably find it easier to remove the engine to fix it rather than trying to do the work with the engine installed.
A slipped chain would of course cause the symptoms you're seeing.
The problem, of course, will be in making a good diagnosis before undertaking major work.
I hope that the owner is a really good friend of your wife, since you're looking at what may be a real PITA job.

Yeah the are close. I tell you I am not pulling that motor. I will get the V out back running and she can use the Grand Prix or I will take it to the dealer and have them do it.
Nothing looks easy on it. Just not in the mood to put that much love into a Subaru. They are not my thing.

Like said, it's all a shot in the dark until you can read the codes. As cheap as a generic OBDII/CAN reader is, it's hard to believe any BITOGer is without one (mostly kidding LOL). This is the one I have and it's worked every time I used it. http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS3...;keywords=OBDii

Given the *FLASHING* CEL, it's a misfire. Blind guess would be an ignition coil, but you have to scan for codes first.

I have two readers, they are older and work fine on the 00 Trans Am, the 02 Truck and 04 Grand Prix. I just have not need one for something this new.

Like I said if I am changes plugs due to the difficulty and the fact that they are coil on plug, I am just replacing the coils. I don't have time to go back in there if a coil is the problem.

regular obd II scanners work

my bluetooth model one works fine with the cell phone.

Originally Posted By: Rand
regular obd II scanners work

my bluetooth model one works fine with the cell phone.

Sometime in 04 or 05 some cars changed to Can-bus. I don't have a blue tooth scanner. Mine are OLD. I need to update.

Cars that use Can Bus

I have given up for tonight. Will get a scanner and all the parts tomorrow. It I don't have success, I will use my CHEVROLET...
smile.gif
to take it down to the dealer. Just not in the mood to pull the motor if it is the timing chain.
Not interested in saving any cash on this project because she is driving the Grand Prix, which is now modified. Pulley, tune CAI, built transmission, down pipe etc. I took her out explain how to drive. She scared the poop out of me. I will suck it up pay for it and when her sons are old enough they can mow my lawn once in a while.
smile.gif

I understand your reason, but a few hundred bucks is a lot of money for an aftermarket coil that may or may not be as good as the OEM coils with 100k miles.

even cars with can-bus have obd II

you just get more data and faster with can bus.

you cant disable the unlock chirp with obd II but you can certainly read the trouble codes.

Originally Posted By: Rand
even cars with can-bus have obd II

you just get more data and faster with can bus.

you cant disable the unlock chirp with obd II but you can certainly read the trouble codes.

I can walk out there hook both up an show you. The will not connect. Not to the Tribeca not the Equinox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back