Telephone SCAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all.

So, yesterday evening my phone rings.
I answer it and wait. A few seconds later I hear it 'ringing'.

A female with India accent answers and says "hello, is this Larry (last name) ?
I say: "yes it is"
She says: "she's with Microsoft and there's a problem with my computer"
She says: "someone in South Carolina is using my computer"
She says: "are you on the computer now ?"

At this point I figure it's a scam and hang up.

Questions:
1) Anybody familiar with this scam ?
2) How do they benefit from this scam ?
3) Why do they want me to be on my computer ?
4) How did they get my phone number ?

This same thing happened 6 Months ago.
The Male (India accent) called me two different Evenings.
Both times I just hung up.
Now I'm curious.

It's the Holiday Season .......... Be aware.

I believe they have you go to a site that allows them to remote into your computer, which allows them to install some spy software that steals your credit cards and banking info.

I suspect its an identity theft attempt. They have your name, but if they can direct you to their website perhaps they can mine passwords, or install a virus, which they will want your credit car number to fix. Or worse a virus that sends them your credit card info next time you online shop.

Caller ID. Best invention ever. Next up is the answering machine. If I don't recognize the number they can talk to the machine.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Don't just hang up on them, ask them What are you wearing?

lol Turning the table on them
wink.gif

I think they sell some sort of third party M$ services or software that is all.

My cousin in Wisconsin got this call. She thought it was from Microsoft and to shorten a long story they took control of her computer and asked for a small fee to fix it.

She gave them her credit card info and they charged $700.00 to it.

Friend got the same call here in town that his Windows Computer was infected. He played along with them for awhile then he said Oh; by the way I use an Apple Computer and they hung up.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Yep its a scam but you can have some fun like this guy did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AAr1Je71RU

AWESOME. My father would have loved that. After he retired, and had time on his hands, there were a few occasions when he got calls, investment type scams and he made a sport of dragging the phone call out, the goal being to make them hang up. EXCELLENT

I really miss traveling the country. I use to look for times I can do schtick What I did is use my Indian accent,
cool.gif
living in Queens NY makes that easy as I hear it a lot. I ask the victim in the accent after listening to him, how is his goat is doing? Then I proceed to tell him until the dial tone, how I have a camel who I want to buy something for etc etc etc. I love getting calls like this. Some I ask how did you get this type of job?? are you one of those because you were a teacher that got involved with a student and now you cannot find work?? I know I need a hobby or to get out more but fun is fun .

Originally Posted By: supton
Caller ID. Best invention ever. Next up is the answering machine. If I don't recognize the number they can talk to the machine.
There is technology which allows telemarketers to recognize an amswering machine and dump the call within a second or so. Has to do with the lack of audio feedback from a device without a mike. It is the cause of those instant hangups.

Recently there was an ad in the local paper here wanting "movie extras" for an upcoming movie they said was going to be filmed locally. So I called and they wanted my CC number to be on "the list". Yep they wanted a monthly fee withdrawn from your account to be on their extra waiting list, LOL!

they ask you who this is...say Jake, from State Farm...
One thing I've noticed is that they are getting pretty tricky wiht the caller ID thing. A couple of times, my actual phone number shows up on it....

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: supton
There is technology which allows telemarketers to recognize an amswering machine and dump the call within a second or so. Has to do with the lack of audio feedback from a device without a mike. It is the cause of those instant hangups.

So that is how they dected a machine. Fine by me. No message on my machine.

these are all scams, they call from magic jack tel #,

step1: look up the phone # they calling from and see who is the provider
step2. send an email to the provider notifying them that XXX-XXX-XXXX running fraud....

I've gotten 2 of these calls within the past month. I went off on the last caller. My family was wondering who the heck I was talking to -- because I really went off. My home phone is getting disconnected soon. I can't wait. We're on the "Do Not Call" list, but that's worthless. 95% of the calls we receive, are unwanted.

I have talked to them for a while. They will have you dig into the operating files of your computer and pull up error logs. These logs normally exist but they will tell you your computer is under attack and try to sell you a service to repair it.

I always tell them that I do not like the fact they are monitoring my private communications. How else would they know I have a problem. If you have time you can drag them on and on....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back