Teflon tape vs thread compound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Try joining the fittings without the pipe dope and see how many leaks you will have. Report back with your findings then.

One would assume the dope allows the threads to engage without premature galling or welding, before an adequate metal-to-metal seal is made.

Try holding back 175 PSI with an uncontained liquid and see how it works. Report back with your findings then.

It has been done many of days in EXXON petro plant back in the day (80"s). What were you doing back then, just learning to crawl?

I really struggle with the concept of a liquid (regardless of the polymer solids content) holding back 175 PSI. The only thing that is holding back that kind of pressure is metal-to-metal interference in the tapered threads facilitated by the lubrication of the joint compound.

I really struggle with the concept of a liquid (regardless of the polymer solids content) holding back 175 PSI. The only thing that is holding back that kind of pressure is metal-to-metal interference in the tapered threads facilitated by the lubrication of the joint compound.

Then don't. Just accept that it's a thing and it's the best game in town.

It has been done many of days in EXXON petro plant back in the day (80"s). What were you doing back then, just learning to crawl?

Back in the 80s? That was a busy time for me, in the early 80s I was still in undergraduate school and working summers for the Commonwealth Edison company at one of their coal fired generating facilities. After I graduated I worked for an international relief agency in Central Africa for two years as a technical advisor. When I came back to the US I got a job at a large multi-national company in one of their research facilities working as a Research Technologist studying various types of chemical sensors. I got married during that time as well, so I was pretty far past "learning to crawl."

Originally Posted by Ws6

Considering everything posted here that may be a good course of action.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Considering everything posted here that may be a good course of action.

Yeah, man, if you don't know, then trust someone qualified. I am not that person, but a solid plumber is. That is why we pay professionals.

When replacing the heads on my sprinkler system every box says don't ever use the compound. It can get into the water system and plug stuff up. So I heeded that warning everywhere around the house and just use the tape. And don't wrap it counter clockwiwe like I've done a few times lol

Back in the 80s? That was a busy time for me, in the early 80s I was still in undergraduate school and working summers for the Commonwealth Edison company at one of their coal fired generating facilities. After I graduated I worked for an international relief agency in Central Africa for two years as a technical advisor. When I came back to the US I got a job at a large multi-national company in one of their research facilities working as a Research Technologist studying various types of chemical sensors. I got married during that time as well, so I was pretty far past "learning to crawl."

WOW! Very impressive!
You were doing a great job getting thru life. Then you got married! I did the same but got rid of that ball and chain after 5 years. I was awarded my son, full sole custody! She was not allowed to come within 1K feet of him until he was 18, or she got help for her drug and alcohol problem. She chose to continue to drink and crack out.
Oh yeah, the judge made her serve 45 days for flipping him off and telling him," F YOU!"

Try joining the fittings without the pipe dope and see how many leaks you will have. Report back with your findings then.

One would assume the dope allows the threads to engage without premature galling or welding, before an adequate metal-to-metal seal is made.

Try holding back 175 PSI with an uncontained liquid and see how it works. Report back with your findings then.

I do it all the time with 820psi gasoline and diesel fuel. Even with extremely well made fittings Teflon tape isn't enough when it gets cold. Pipe joint compound alone has no problem. In past jobs I have used the same Gasolia I use now on 960psi superheated steam fittings.

Just for reference on what I'm saying about poor quality these days … I have used aftermarket B&M drain plugs on GM transmissions for decades. The versions I got last year (two) were the worst I have seen. I sheared one in two parts when I torqued it. The threads are rough. I have one leaking slowly now and some Derale replacements coming Friday.
(1st that ever leaked).

Zoom in on this picture

834FB1AB-BC9C-4300-B07A-94D5C44907DC.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back