Teenagers develop crop growth promoter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice story. Interesting twist that they live in Ireland, considering the history of the potato famines. Good luck to them. Thanks for posting.

Re the potato famines, it always amazed me that potatoes were a new world crop, and fairly quickly were a staple, and lead to famine in Ireland (like the mediteranian tomatoes and peppers weren't even known before the Americas were found)

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
I just exhaled and injected crop growth promoter (CO2) into the atmosphere.

There, I did it again.

And again...

...you obviously didn't read the article...good work.

While I appreciate the work they've done, I think the story is more about how these three bright young women have a great future ahead of them as they pursue their dreams. Its also a great inspirational read for other young innovators. I wish them success.

Harvest time is starting in the Heartland and it looks to be a record harvest. Lots of farm equipment on the roads so motorist have to drive with a heightened awareness for the slow moving machinery. Wonderful time of the year. I will have to locate our pumpkins and place them on the front porch.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
While I appreciate the work they've done, I think the story is more about how these three bright young women have a great future ahead of them as they pursue their dreams. Its also a great inspirational read for other young innovators. I wish them success.

Agreed, this story is mostly a fluff article. If you go to the Google Science Competition site you will discover that they seem to have done a very thorough scientific study using proper statistical design (I only glanced at it quickly):

https://www.googlesciencefair.com/projec...c7c439fddd9c256

This could easily pass for a college master's project, if not more, based on my initial look. Quite impressive. They must have a really good science teacher to mentor them.

The results open up excellent questions for further research. Thanks for posting.

L_Sludger and doitmyself, yes, that was what warmed me to the article, was kids getting off their bum, using their heads and their efforts for an interest that wasn't facebook.

I keep seeing degree qualified youngsters who have no interest in their chosen profession.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Wasn't Ireland's famine caused by using one particular strain of potato?

That is my understanding. Apparently, exports continued at a good pace all through the famine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_%28Ireland%29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back