Techron Concentrate Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know the answer to your question but If you need a product for carbon cleaning your outboard get some Yamaha Ring Free (Yamaha marine or motorcycle dealers should have it). I use it in a different application (10,500rpm 4-stroke v-twin motorcycle) but it seems to work very well.

The other marine carbon cleaners should be good as well but I've not used them.

I almost posted this question a couple weeks ago. I googled and found people talking about doing it, at 1/4-1/2 oz per gallon. Mine hasn't blown up yet.

I am a huge fan of Techron Plus in automotive applications. I think it is the best pour in FI cleaner on the market. However, for a marine/2-stroke application there are better options.

Hands down the best product I ever used for a 2-stroke is OMC's 2+4 fuel conditioner. This stuff is GREAT! Really does an amazing job with 2-stroke engines of all kinds. It will clean out a gummed up carb, or fuel injected system, that is causing poor/rough performance( the engine just needs to be able to run - can be real poor but has to run so it can circulate )and in short order return the engine to normal performance. It will keep it clean preventing future issues as well. Does a good job of extending spark plug life by helping keep them clean too.

Highly recommend it. Cleans as well as stabilizes. I am never without a bottle of this stuff. Even works great in 4 stroke engines. I use it in everything I have short of my truck( and I am sure it would do well there too ). Keeps everything running top notch. Snow blowers, lawn mowrs, weed whackers, outboards, inboards, etc....

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Accessorie...gineCare&page=2

Last edited:
OMC 2+4 fuel conditioner is 97% isopropyl alcohol according to the MSDS. 3% unidentified additives. The 3% is probably some sort of actual fuel system cleaner. Nothing special here.

Yamaha Ring Free is
2% trimethylbenzene
25% petrolium dsitillate (solvent naptha per cas#)
3% xylene
70% propriatary additive, probably another solvent or oil.

Solvent naptha is used in a lot of fuel/carbon cleaner type additives and is available cheaply by the gallon.

Almost all of these products take readily available over the counter chemicals and mix them up into some super expensive miracle cure. Check the msds for yourself. Mostly nothing special. The hidden ingredients are probably the same thing that is in fuel system cleaners.

Ring free and techron concentrate are pretty much the same, if not relabled.

Yamaha sent us a bulletin concerning 1000cc motors that were using oil. In short these were new motors that had been babied through break in , another problem was oil level often too high because of it's dry sump and oil check procedure. Oil was often over filled. the problem, glazed cylinders. The solution, a good dose of ring free or techron concentrate then go run the c rap out of them.

Chevron Techron Conc. is perfect for everything from the fuel tank to the top of the pistons, does nothing for ring groove buildup, ring jacking, common in 2 strokes.
peels the tough carbon deposits off the ports. perfect in the DFI engine injectors. works wonders on varnished up neglected carbs

Chevron only recommends occasional maintenance use, not daily. 2 stroke, 1 large bottle per 10 gal every 50 hours.

acetone+toluene+naphtha Coleman fuel+2 stroke oil mix works well in a soak for the ring jacking, Ring Free works well also but is super expensive.
a spray soak thru the reeds should only be done once or twice a season depending on hours and run type. be sure to add the extra 2 stroke oil to the cleaning mix to prevent cyl. scoring from oil wash down.

i use regular straight 2 stroke oil for my end of season fog oil. has lots of anti corrosives, metal adhesion and water protection products in it.
works well in 4 strokes also for end of season over winter protection in a setting engine

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: another Todd
OMC 2+4 fuel conditioner is 97% isopropyl alcohol according to the MSDS. 3% unidentified additives. The 3% is probably some sort of actual fuel system cleaner. Nothing special here.

Yamaha Ring Free is
2% trimethylbenzene
25% petrolium dsitillate (solvent naptha per cas#)
3% xylene
70% propriatary additive, probably another solvent or oil.

Solvent naptha is used in a lot of fuel/carbon cleaner type additives and is available cheaply by the gallon.

Almost all of these products take readily available over the counter chemicals and mix them up into some super expensive miracle cure. Check the msds for yourself. Mostly nothing special. The hidden ingredients are probably the same thing that is in fuel system cleaners.

May not be anything special on paper but real world it works like nothing else. The 2+4 is an amazing real world performer. Don't knock it until you try it.

I don't think he was knocking it; just stateing that it is nothing special and made up of very common 97% isopropyl alcohol. That is to make the purchaser think they are getting something for their money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back