Technology used at the border - BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by grampi
I don't know where you get this stuff. Anyone who isn't a U.S. citizen cannot, and will not be allowed to enter our country. People can't just simply claim asylum and walk in. Only so many people per day, (the number is only 20 or less) are allowed to be considered for asylum, but they have to clear vetting first.

Not getting into the politics of all this, but no - anyone who can manage to enter the United States (legally or not) can make an asylum claim. It's 8 USC §1158 (INA Section 208). Quite a few claims are made at airports where someone might have a tourist visa or perhaps persuaded/bribed an airline employee to allow boarding.

And what is this about anyone who isn't a US citizen will not be allowed to enter? I know plenty of permanent residents and have met people who came to the US on tourist/business/student visas. Heck - someone from Canada can typically enter the US without a visa provided they have the right documentation.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by Al
Originally Posted by PimTac
It's amazing how many people think the wall is just a wall that can be easily overcome by ladders or tunnels...it's not going to be just a wall. It will come with electronic surveillance equipment (that can detect penetrations over or under) and more border patrol agents...

True. There is a lot of technology included here that is combined with the wall and also independent of it. Even with new hiring, the BP will use remote drones to direct patrols to areas of concern rather than patrolling empty ones. Predator drones are the big thing down there now.

We can only turn those back that are Mexican citizens. And then only if they did not break a U.S. Law. If no Id they can not in general be returned to Mexico unless they admit to being Mexican.
The percentage of people that cross are from countries south of Mexico. It takes a court to send them back and that doesn't mean push them over the fence.

Like I said..what happens most now is that folks stroll across the boarder and claim asylum, have no papers, or have papers from another country other than Mexico.

2,000 to 3000 such individuals do that each and every week, 900,000 per year. In most cases they voluntary go to the boarder guards.

And no I don't get this info on Fox. Even they have already said that. My Daughter's ex is a former Federal officer (prison) his best friend is a Homeland Security officer. I'll make sure I tell him he gave me bum dope. :rolleyes:

This is why the Border Patrol should have a simple shoot-on-sight order.

33.gif

Originally Posted by y_p_w
I don't know where you get this stuff. Anyone who isn't a U.S. citizen cannot, and will not be allowed to enter our country. People can't just simply claim asylum and walk in. Only so many people per day, (the number is only 20 or less) are allowed to be considered for asylum, but they have to clear vetting first.

Not getting into the politics of all this, but no - anyone who can manage to enter the United States (legally or not) can make an asylum claim. It's 8 USC §1158 (INA Section 208). Quite a few claims are made at airports where someone might have a tourist visa or perhaps persuaded/bribed an airline employee to allow boarding.

And what is this about anyone who isn't a US citizen will not be allowed to enter? I know plenty of permanent residents and have met people who came to the US on tourist/business/student visas. Heck - someone from Canada can typically enter the US without a visa provided they have the right documentation.

That's right, they came here on a visa, they didn't just walk across the border illegally as Al claims they do. And you're right, anyone can claim asylum, but in order for it to be granted it has to be approved...

Originally Posted by Al
You are just flat out wrong. People illegally cross boarder. If they are not mexican, they CAN be deported (usually). If they are not mexicans..if the claim asylum they must have a "hearing"..they usually don't show. If they don't claim asylum they get a hearing anyway..same result. They become one of 17 million illegals.

No, you are wrong. You're just making this stuff up. If you are caught at the border, your country of origin has no bearing on your chances of coming into this country. If you are not a U.S. citizen, then you are treated the same as any other foreigner if you are caught trying to sneak in illegally...

Suit yourself. Keep those rose colored glasses on. I don't have the time to educate you..
cheers3.gif

I am officially done here

From my experience as a truck driver, all I can say is that it's easy to get into Canada and they are friendly and decent to me at the border. Getting back into my own country I deal with hateful border guards half the time who treat me like a criminal.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
The cold is the effective USA/eh border.

You would think Florida would have a wall built around it to keep all the Canucks out of there, by now.
lol.gif

They bring a lot of money in. Not for tips, but they do bring money.

I always tip well when I'm there... Heck anywhere. Maybe because I grew up in food service and owned/operated a restaurant with my folks???
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Al
Suit yourself. Keep those rose colored glasses on. I don't have the time to educate you..
cheers3.gif

I am officially done here

I'm not the one who needs to be educated on this...you need to get your info from somewhere other than a Dr. Seuss book...

Originally Posted by Blaze
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by AZjeff
What about the US/Canuck border? Eh?

Oh, we have something special for all the Americans from Arizona trying to sneak in for our free health care. There's a -36 C wind chill going on at Emerson, Manitoba today.
lol.gif

We have free healthcare here in the states too. You just have to be here illegally to get it...

When I was in Vegas visiting my mother I happened to buy a local Vegas paper. There was an article about one the the major Las Vegas hospitals having financial problems and one of the reason was illegals coming across the border and just to use their kidney dialysis center. This was costing the hospital one million $$ per month from that alone.

A lot of the hospitals along the border have that same problem. In San Diego I saw a report that a large percentage of births are from non paying migrants. I'm sure other services are the same. Most hospitals provide charity care but the average is usually 10-15%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back