Tech at 1 800 ASK MOBIL said T&SUV was NOT good for a car, even out of warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said the detergents were TOO HIGH and would lead to spark plug fouling and certain types of corrosion over a long term. Redline also said the same thing regarding their diesel oils. I kept telling the tech at Mobil, "I know you guys are very strict w/ warranties and all, but if I am out of warranty, theoretically is this a good oil to use in my car". "No, definitely not"!
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by HardCharger:
He said the detergents were TOO HIGH and would lead to spark plug fouling and certain types of corrosion over a long term. Redline also said the same thing regarding their diesel oils. I kept telling the tech at Mobil, "I know you guys are very strict w/ warranties and all, but if I am out of warranty, theoretically is this a good oil to use in my car". "No, definitely not"!
dunno.gif

I don't think Doug the Honorary Elf will agree with this...calling Doug Hillary....Doug Hillary do you read me?

PS The only way this makes sense to me, beyond the fact that a diesel has no spark plugs and so can't have them foul, is if the process of countering diesel "resdiue" reduces the aspects of the detergent package that cause the effects the Tech said. Otherwise it does not make sense.

Hi,
Elfmeister - I hear you.....

I would NEVER use a very low or very high ash high TBN "diesel engine only" oil in any petrol engine. Well, unless there was no alternative and then only for a short period or a critical need top-up!!

I have used mixed fleet HDEOs (from Castrol, Shell, Mobil and Caltex-Chevron) for decades (sinec the 1950s) in petrol engines WITHOUT ANY DETRIMENTAL EFFECTS WHATSOEVER

IMHO Losiho gives the correct advice above. The Mobil Tech should be "trained" - or re-trained!!!

I had "an experience" with a local Mobil Tech two days ago that still has the hair on my back standing upright! He rang back later to apologise and say that he was wrong and sorry. It does make you wonder!!!!

These types of comments are the source of mis-information and misconceptions! We have one "ex Amsoil" person who still continues on along this path on this Board!

KISS is the best policy - sadly it sometimes the facts get lost in the rhetoric

I had "an experience" with a local Mobil Tech two days ago that still has the hair on my back standing upright! He rang back later to apologise and say that he was wrong and sorry. It does make you wonder!!!!
I'll give him credit for at least calling back, admitting he was wrong, and apologizing. How many times do we see that happen in today's world?

But, you're right, it does make me wonder! Did using the T&SUV in my '02 Saab 9-3 somehow cause the manual tranny seals to go bad at 39k?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back