Tech 2000 oil (Walmart Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I sent an email last week to Petro Canada asking them if they supplied Walmart with their Tech 2000 oils (since it's been rumored to be supplied by them) and I got a response back today telling me they do not supply Walmart with any oil.

So it's still a big mystery as to who makes the Tech 2000 line of oils for Walmart in Canada.

Pat, Wal-Mart's Tech 2000 conventional oils are blended by Safety-Kleen Canada. They re-refine used oil, and blend it for Wal-Mart. If you go to the Safety-Kleen website, it sets out their blending operations....

Now, as for the Tech 2000 synthetic, that is a good mystery, b/c I thought we had confirmation on this site at one point that these oils were re-badged PC syn oils. If they aren't, i'd be really curious as to who supplies them.

To be truthful, if i had to come up with an answer, I'd say that the person you spoke to didn't know or didn't want to say that they did, b/c I think they still do....who-else makes a cheap 0W-30 syn...? PC 'Artic' 0W-30 is just $4.33/litre from the distributor, so it is feasible that Wal-Mart re-sells this for $5.66/litre, right?

Thanks for the info! I knew Safety-Kleen was listed on the Tech 2000 oils, but I figured they just packaged it, and someone else actually blended the oils.

I was just thinking that it's entirely possible that their 0w30 synthetic could be Esso XD3! That's another low cost 0w30 synthetic up here also.

I seriously doubt that Wal-Mart would have a heavy-duty diesel oil re-packaged as a regular passenger car oil....I KNOW that XD-3 is dual rated, but Wal-Mart likes to be careful, and so I don't think they would risk the 'diesel oil in gas car' problems. PLUS, there is no mention of diesel specs on the package...no, I'm still 100% positive it is PC synthetic.

What could be happening is that PC is supplying bulk syn oil to another company (Vulsay?) that packages the oil for Wal-Mart, so the people at PC may not all be aware that their oil ends up as Wal-Mart Tech 2000 syn.....

Interesting stuff! Now we just need to get somebody to run it and do a UOA!
smile.gif

I actually put the Tech 2000 Synthetic 0w30 in my mom's 94 Probe GT a few years ago, but she only drove it another 1000 miles and then traded it in on her 2001 VW Golf. So I never got the chance to get the UOA on it.
frown.gif

MSDS number, 82883, by the way.....but you can also see the other products they produce.....including 'AutoPrix oil from Zellers...

What is interesting is that Walmart supplies Tech2000 in 4.4ltr jugs which is the perfect size for my vehicle. Rest of the brands (atleast in one walmart around here) come in 5 ltrs.

There is a UOA on older Tech 2000 syn in the UOA section, but it was 10W-30. It did pretty good!

I want to start doing UOA's on my car, and I think I'm going to, starting with the QS 5W-30 I have in the car right now. I'm considering swithching to synthetics with my car (2002 Cavalier), and have of course thought about running T2000 syn, as it is a pretty cheap option....might have to run it for the summer, and see how it does before the winter....

Quote:

What is interesting is that Walmart supplies Tech2000 in 4.4ltr jugs which is the perfect size for my vehicle. Rest of the brands (atleast in one walmart around here) come in 5 ltrs.

The strange thing is that if you look through the oil section of Walmart, almost everything is packaged in 5L jugs, but if you see those exact same oils at Canadian Tire, they are mostly in 4.4L jugs there! (but yet the regular price at Walmart is still less than the regular price at CT-where CT wins is that they put stuff on sale so often)

I also asked petro a few months ago about whether or not they supply walmart and they said no. I am about to send a sample off to blackstone to have my 5100 mile t-2000 5w-30 synthetic analyzed. Autoprix from zellers is the ultimate low cost oil in canada. $1.37 a litre just cant be beat!

Thats really cool, Warlord - we'll get to see if a current, re-refined group III syn is a good oil.....

Good find! What really impresses me is they have an MSDS for "used oil" and "oily water". Maybe that solves the Canadian Tire brand mystery... Motomaster is regular oil, Nugold is used oil, and Autolab is oily water.
grin.gif

Quote:

Autoprix from zellers is the ultimate low cost oil in canada. $1.37 a litre just cant be beat!

Is Zellers still carrying it? I thought they gave up and started carrying Shell instead a few months back.

They still carry it here. They just got a new shipment in a new style bottle that I've never seen before. $1.37 for 5 and 10w-30 and $1.47 for hdeo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back