Tearolator Experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading DesertRatR's thread on shorter oil filter intervals and it reminded me that I need to report on my 'experiment'. I have a stash of old Pure Ones for my Cadillac. I decided to run them 2,500 miles (half a normal oil change) and cut them open. After examining the three filters I've used, I can report NO TEARS!!!!! Looks like I can safely use up my stash of YCOD filters! BTW, I WAS getting tears running them 5,000 on this car and some family members' other cars.

I too have been using up my old stash of PureONE(Yellow) and even the new BLUE and can report that there are no tears in the media even after 2-3 OCIs(1yr/~12K).

I have used up the occasional left over Purolator Classic(White), which also did well for a single OCI of 5K-6K OCI. I've now switched to other filters. My next will be a FRAM Ultra, a first for me. I've use FRAM filters in the past without issues however these were the OCOD filters.

This thread's title should be "Tearolater Monitoring" not "Tearolater Experiment" as there is no control side. The OP's stock is simply being used on an accelerated time line and examined.

Glad to see no tears reported.

I have a YCOD sitting in my stash, not sure what I am going to do with it.

It fits 3 different vehicles I change oil on, and don't want to really chance it on any of them.

A few years ago I threw three Pure Ones in my city recycle bin. Last week I deposited my AC Delco PF61 there too.
No room for keeping garbage laying around anymore.

Next may be my spare Premium Guard I purchased for $1.67 at rockauto. The current mounted Premium Guard filter is experiencing ADBV failure / startup noise at 4K of a scheduled 6K OCI. Was super quiet at startup for the first 4K, but not anymore.

Over the next 12 months I will be trying the K&N Premium and NAPA Platinum. Not expecting any problems with those, for they are built to survive my scheduled OCIs.

Originally Posted By: tightwad
I've been reading DesertRatR's thread on shorter oil filter intervals and it reminded me that I need to report on my 'experiment'. I have a stash of old Pure Ones for my Cadillac. I decided to run them 2,500 miles (half a normal oil change) and cut them open. After examining the three filters I've used, I can report NO TEARS!!!!! Looks like I can safely use up my stash of YCOD filters! BTW, I WAS getting tears running them 5,000 on this car and some family members' other cars.

That is great news on your stash of filters! Continue using them for 2500 miles each. I think those filters that do tear, they do it closer the end of the cycle when the media is loaded up and putting more strain and pressure on that material, causing the tear. Do you know for sure that your filters were in the suspect production runs?

Originally Posted By: DGXR
... I think those filters that do tear, they do it closer the end of the cycle when the media is loaded up and putting more strain and pressure on that material, causing the tear. ...
That's possible, but in a healthy engine, bigger contributing factors might be winter temperatures, and an owner with a habit of revving up the engine while it's still cold. Obviously none of those should result in tearing.

Last edited:
The ones that tore were made in 2012 and 2013. I think the ones I have left were made in 2011. (I'm too lazy to look up the code. LOL) Anyway, I bought these at a good price, so it's not a great loss to remove them early. Better than tossing them. To answer another question: I'm leaving the oil in for the full 5,000 miles.

This was an answer to DGXR's question.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
The ones that tore were made in 2012 and 2013.

Somehow you managed to miss mentioning 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Yup, ~2012 is about the time they started, and has continued to this day.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
The ones that tore were made in 2012 and 2013.

Somehow you managed to miss mentioning 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Yup, ~2012 is about the time they started, and has continued to this day.

I think all the torn Purolators started being reported here early 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back