Teardrop Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realized I never posted this here. Started on Black Friday last year and finished in the middle of April. Used the 1700-lb Harbor Freight trailer as a base. Pulls fine behind my 4 cyl Tacoma, though I'm going to get air bags to help with the sagging bed when it's attached. Already been camping with it once, going up to northern CA next month and then to Oregon in August to watch the eclipse.

For full documentation of how I built it, go here

Wow! That is cool! That'd be nice to have behind my Crown Vic.
Have you weighed it to make sure your under the 1700lbs?

I like the custom mount for the water heater too. :p

Weighs 1630 lbs with full tank of water. GVWR of the trailer is right under 2000, 1700 is the cargo capacity not including the frame. I couldn't believe they expect the water heater to support itself with just a few screws into the outer wall and nothing on the back side, hence the ratchet strap. That thing isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:
Very nice, I like the 6 gallon water heater, outside shower, but especially the solar panels.

Nice job!

Originally Posted By: Anduril
Weighs 1630 lbs with full tank of water. GVWR of the trailer is right under 2000, 1700 is the cargo capacity not including the frame. I couldn't believe they expect the water heater to support itself with just a few screws into the outer wall and nothing on the back side, hence the ratchet strap. That thing isn't going anywhere.

Very nice build - looks awesome!!!!

That's how they hold the water tank in commercial units too. Ours is just held on with the screws on the outside. It is built into the bathroom cabinet but "floats" in there. I guess full it's around 60 lbs so it's not all that heavy for the 8 or so screws that they have you use.

That is really nice!

I have a question though...wouldn't the skeletal structure of the trailer be WAY lighter if it was made out of steel rather than wood?

Ed

Nice project. Did you work from publicly available plans, or was this your own design? Either way, I think it's cool.

I recently entered the towable RV ranks, but I took the completely unimaginative route and bought a commercially made trailer.

Looks like a Scamp!
Scamp is still better, and lighter....but more $$

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Nice project. Did you work from publicly available plans, or was this your own design? Either way, I think it's cool.

I recently entered the towable RV ranks, but I took the completely unimaginative route and bought a commercially made trailer.

I basically tried to copy this instructable though with a lot more features than his had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back