Tear downs using Dino oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
I rebuilt my 71 Cutlass 350 after 170K. I put the last 70K on it for the past 19 years. I used nothing but dino oil, 10W-30 or 20W-50. Yes, there were lots of depoisits. Deposits were pretty much the theme of rebuilding the engine. The bearings looked healthy. Otherwise it was just change the seals, replace worn tappets and cam, and a cleanup hone.

Has anyone torn down their engine after running dino for 100's of thousands of miles? Pennzoil's website has a good test of how their Platinum reduces deposits. I'm wondering if Redline (I know I always talk about Redline
grin.gif
) uses itself to clean, therefore, TBN is sometimes lower? I know many have torn down engines using Mobil 1 and found them to be spotless. As good as new.

Checkout the Platinum Test

Pennzoil Deposit Test

3K.

BTW, I analyzed the exhaust valve deposits and found that it was chiefly lead. I found this out after I wire-wheeled the deposits off the valves and made a cloud in the garage!
gr_eek2.gif

Wonder if we really can question deposits on a outfit that ran tons of Leaded gas?
confused.gif

Would not the lead in the gas on a carb equipped engine end up in the oil?

This would end up as something on the block..
dunno.gif

I think todays fuel and FI engines are going to have alot less fuel in the oil.

I do know the new Fuel in CA is killing CATs on my ex-1986 VW jetta since my sis-in law moved down there. In 30k miles, it's ate 2 of them.. (could be the replacement cats too?)

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

A while back someone posted a video of the tear-down of a big diesel engine with 1,000,000 miles on it. The video was made by Esso because the engine had beed run strictly on their oil. If anyone knows where the video is, post it up.

My first car was a '79 Rabbit that I had from 1983 to 1990. At approx. 150,000 miles the intermediate shaft broke. I had used Castrol GTX 10w40 since I got the car with 60,000 miles. The mechanic who repaired the engine said it looked very clean inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back