Teaching my nephews maintenance on their used 2011 Civic

So I have my nephews coming over with their recently acquired 2011 Civic LX. It has over 100k and we don’t have much information aside from some previous oil changes. I want to show them how to do a full tune up and all filters/fluids changed. I’ll be taking them to Walmart and the local auto parts stores so they can see how they can save money by learning to do things themselves with better stuff vs. them going to any Quickie Lubes. Most likely gonna be running FS HM 5w30.
Things I forgot…
-What Maxlife ATF from Walmart can be used on this Civic?
-What coolant does it take? IIRC was it the blue one??

If this is someone else's car and you're taking "responsibility" like this, I'd only use Honda DW-1 ATF. You can get it for about $8/quart and that thing only uses 2.5 quarts on a drain and refill.

Only use NGK or DENSO plugs. We have a '12 Civic that uses Iridium so it might use them too. Buy them locally, not Amazon. Yes, they'll cost more - could be $12-15 each.

Serious question - do they want to do this work / maintenance ?

The red jug stuff, and it takes blue asian coolant.
This? I remember Zerex blue. Is the Supertech blue the same thing?

Attachments

• C8A7D636-E436-414E-B30F-6A8C9A8B93D1.jpg
    C8A7D636-E436-414E-B30F-6A8C9A8B93D1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 6
If this is someone else's car and you're taking "responsibility" like this, I'd only use Honda DW-1 ATF. You can get it for about $8/quart and that thing only uses 2.5 quarts on a drain and refill.

Only use NGK or DENSO plugs. We have a '12 Civic that uses Iridium so it might use them too. Buy them locally, not Amazon. Yes, they'll cost more - could be $12-15 each.

Serious question - do they want to do this work / maintenance ?
You don’t think the Maxlife would be good in the Civic? It’s only 3 quarts so maybe we’ll have to go to the Honda dealership. I’ve been using it in our 3 Pontiac Vibes at every 30k and no issues, but these are Toyota transmissions… I agree with the NGK & Denso iridium plugs for sure and never order them from Amazon. There’s a lot of counterfeit parts nowadays. Also, yes! These 2 brothers actually want to learn how to do this stuff! Hopefully they can get their cousin’s into it since I can’t 😂😭

You don’t think the Maxlife would be good in the Civic?
Plenty of people will tell you it will be fine 🤷‍♂️ A popular theme here for justifying things is "it's cheap insurance" but it seems to get picked and chosen as to where it applies. Sure, I can buy a 4-5 quart jug of Maxlife for $20 ($4 or $5 per quart) or tighten the budget by spending .... $24-30 on DW-1. I'll go with DW-1. 😁

I have been using fake NGK plugs in Hondas from Amazon for years. Not recommended.
I use Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent, Maxlife and DW-1. All good.

Plugs and valve adjustment. Hint: there is no need to remove the cowl

Drain and refill ATF.

Brake Flush.

Air and Cabin filters.

Compliance bushings are probably torn.

P/S pump is probably leaking. Remove pump and reseal it. Do the drive belt at the same time.

Sometimes that breather plate on the block is leaking. Easy to reseal once the r/f axle is out.

I have been using fake NGK plugs in Hondas from Amazon for years. Not recommended.
I use Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent, Maxlife and DW-1. All good.
Yeah I’ve done that too in the past. Not good… Recently, I just returned a counterfeit Ford Racing Oil Filter to Amazon. Bought a K&N from my local AutoZone instead.

While you are out and about...it might be good to pick up one of these for reference...

While you can get fake parts from Amazon, places like Rockauto or other specific auto parts stores should be fine though and should be much cheaper than buying locally. Amazon has fakes because they have 3rd party sellers and all Amazon does is toss all their parts into one bin so even if Amazon is the seller, their stuff could be mixed in with the fakes.

Only reason I didn't suggest Rockauto. I have no issues or concerns with buying plugs from RA.
Pretty much with the exception of oil, everything else is cheaper online. So he could take them to the auto parts store for a show and tell, but pretty much everything else besides fluids are usually cheaper online. I treat the local auto parts places as emergency places to get parts, if your car is down and you can't wait a few days to get it online, that's the place to go. Otherwise if you're doing tune up stuff, just buy all the stuff online. Liquids in general seem to cost more to ship so that's about the only thing I'd get locally.

I've bought a few EVAP parts locally (from O'Reilly) and they didn't cost that much more than online. Best part for me was that although I bought non-OEM-branded stuff, in each case they happened to be SMP or Intermotor, I was able to open the box in the store and see "Made in Japan" so I had high confidence that they would be good parts. I may be wrong, but I'd like to think I got OE parts that SMP or Intermotor just private-labels.

I use the Castrol Import ATF on my Hondas with no problem. Never tried Maxlife though.
I never noticed (or looked, I guess) that Castrol specs that fluid for DW-1 applications. I figured Z-1 though and they'd want you to use the next-gen ATF, Transmax Full Synthetic, for DW-1.

My 0.02:
- don't overwhelm your nephew with too much info thrown at him at once
- do one or two jobs at a time explaining what you are about to do and process, not too long but not missing important parts, continue on explaining while doing the job, try to make it engaging and somewhat fun, gauge how interested he is
- MaxLife ATF is fine; 5w-30 oil is fine; Asian blue or universal (yellow) coolant is fine
- NGK may have Ruthenium plugs for the engine, check on NGK site and buy from RA if available
--- check brakes - pads and rotors, tires, brake fluid, all exterior lights/bulbs, AC, PCV, air filters, battery, wiper blades, fluid

Another vote for Honda DW-1.
The OEM filter is made in Japan, part # 25430-PLR-003, it is under the air filter box, remove the air filter box (10mm bolts), there is a 10mm bolt that holds the filter on, then just remove the 2 hose clamps on the filter (bent 90° needle nose pliers work well here). The drain plug crush washer is part # 90471-PX4-000.
I just did this a couple of days ago on my 2011 if you can't tell 😄

Back