tdi 30000 mile oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, this is my first post. I have been looking at this forum for years, but never registered. I am need of an educated opinion. This looks like it is the place to get it. I recently purchased a used 2014 vw tdi jetta sportwagon. I did not know the history at first, but now I do. My mistake, but that is water over the dam. The original oil in it was changed at 30000 miles at the vw shop. I purchased the car with 50000 miles on it. I could not locate a oil filter for it, except at vw, so I took it to an independent vw shop, had the tranny fluid changed and the oil with motul 5/30 507 504. So this time it had 20000 on it. The tranny change interval I am ok with, Original filter in tranny. I ordered a fuel filter and changed that myself. Original fuel filter in it, so 50000 miles on fuel filter. The car came from carlbad ca,. In az I dont usually get water in my other diesels. The 2014 does not have a water drain on the fuel filter, as I guess the filter does it all, provided it is changed.... The part that concerns the most is the 30000 oil. The car runs great. It bothers me though. My option from here, as I see it, are to sell the car and buy another, monitor the oil consumption over the next 5000 miles, maybe try to put some kind if cleaner like see foam in it. The bottom of oil cap look clean no gunk, can not see much else. Any opinions or facts on how to tackle this, as I really like these cars? I think that shortly after the owner purchased it, july 2014, the scandal hit, and the owner let it go back in 2017 and did not care about the maintenance. That's 50000 in 3 years. I see some vw in europe go 30000 mile on oil change under ideal conditions. Thanks

I would not want to keep it now but I would not to hose the next buyer either.....maybe you got lucky and previous lousy owner at least topped off. It is running good now so I would keep it and run 3k mile intervals for awhile with synthetic...engines can survive owner neglect more than u think, I have known quite a few who rarely changed their oil and motor kept going cuz they would add when needed.

The oil & filter could have been changed and undocumented.

2013 was the last model year for VW's free 36K maintenance which for my car included an oil & filter change at 10K intervals and changing the brake fluid at 30K.

Most shops that work on vehicles don't report maintenance and repairs to Carfax.
Records get lost and aren't passed onto the next owner plus most dealers today do not pass on any sort of information that a "new to me" owner can trace back to the previous owner.

TDi's were usually owned by enthusiast and such owners are more likely to do there own maintenance compared to someone who owns say a Nissan Altima.

Advance Auto Parts stocks in the store some of the Mann Hummel oil filters which are essentially the same as an OEM filter for most VW's.

Skyactiv summed it up nicely. I wouldn't depend on Carfax for maintenance reports. If the oil level was full, or close to it when it was changed that's a good start. I would invest in a USB or WiFi borescope used for diagnostics if I was really concerned and have a look down the oil fill hole if possible and inside the oil pan via the drain plug. If the oil wasn't changed in 30K miles you might see some signs of the neglect with the camera.

I'd call a VW dealer and ask a service writer to run the VIN and see if there is a dealer service history. When I worked at a dealer, I'd do that for people and print it out or email it to them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply's. I did not know that the free oil change was not on the 2014 cars. I did call the dealer as there was nothing on the car fax. I got my info from the date on the filters. The dealer did a brake and oil change at 30000. That is the only time they saw it. At least I know now it is possible that owner changed the oil, and not a fact. It is a fact about tranny and fuel filter. If the free oil service was available on 2014, and they took it in at 30000 for oil, I would be more concerned. Thanks

I have a 2012 TDi Jetta Sportwagen and did a 1200 mile round trip this weekend. It's my favorite car for long trips. 42 mpg running 76 mph with passengers and gear. Too bad they aren't making them anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back