TCW3??

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly is TCW3???

Everyone mentions it as if it is as common, and on the shelf available as MMO.
I have been on this site for >5 years and I still do not know what it is.

The glossary does not even list what it is an abbreviation for.
confused2.gif

Some are TCW3 rated,some are not.It has to say it,to be TCW3.Usually cheaper,old 2 stroke oils dont meet the spec.

tcw3 is for watercooled 2 strokes.. like outboard engines.

TC is the spec for air cooled engines.

2 totally different specs for different apps.

Yep, different specs.....

But, since you are on the fuel additives sub forum - you most certainly want the "TCW-3" grade 2-cycle.....

TCW-3 is "ashless" i.e.: it's not composed of metalics that can clog/harm o2 sensors or some such.....but even then, you don't want to go over-dosing your fuel with it
wink.gif
Check out the "Definitive TCW-3" thread on this forum (may be on page 2.....though it does get bumped every so often....) the most common concentration is 1 oz of TCW-3 per 5 gallons of fuel...yep, that's all it takes. A little goes a long ways, helps keep the fuel pump lubed, and clean (dirty won't cling as easily to a well oiled beast)....etc. Some have even claimed MPG gains when using the TCW-3....

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
Didn't I read that some folks put it in the gas tank of their cars?

Yes. It's supposed to act as a fuel pump and upper cylinder lubricant. And since it's (nearly) ashless, shouldn't foul spark plugs.

Yes they have a product called:

Two-Stroke Watercraft Injection Oil

It is pricey though at $8.95 for a 16 oz bottle.

I use an Amsoil TCW3 product.

Good Luck, Jim

Originally Posted By: Rand
tcw3 is for watercooled 2 strokes.. like outboard engines.

TC is the spec for air cooled engines.

2 totally different specs for different apps.

Why then do most TC-W3 products say they are suitable for air cooled 2-stroke applications as well (for example Pennzoils TC-W3):

"all leading manufacturers of 2-cycle products including chain saws, lawn mowers, motorcycles, and string trimmer..."

despite not claiming to meet any non TC-W specs?

I think there is a difference for air cooled 2 stroke engines used in ultralight planes. I have read that they run hotter, and need a more heat resistant oil. I think TCW3 is designed for engines that operate around 200*F or 100*C.

Originally Posted By: cchase

Why then do most TC-W3 products say they are suitable for air cooled 2-stroke applications as well (for example Pennzoils TC-W3):

"all leading manufacturers of 2-cycle products including chain saws, lawn mowers, motorcycles, and string trimmer..."

Do you run your chain saws, lawn mowers, cheap motorcycles, and string trimmers at max rpm for hours on end? If not then any TCW oil will work. Now, if you were like me and ride an Aprilia RS50 (modded to 80cc) to work then it will be 3 hours at > 12,000rpm per trip. I run Red Line TC 2T oil so I don't have to rebuild it every weekend.

In Europe people ride 2T motorcycles 50-250cc to commute on the highway and some of those motorcycles worth about 200 lawn mowers. You either pay now or pay later.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

Do you run your chain saws, lawn mowers, cheap motorcycles, and string trimmers at max rpm for hours on end? If not then any TCW oil will work. Now, if you were like me and ride an Aprilia RS50 (modded to 80cc) to work then it will be 3 hours at > 12,000rpm per trip. I run Red Line TC 2T oil so I don't have to rebuild it every weekend.

In Europe people ride 2T motorcycles 50-250cc to commute on the highway and some of those motorcycles worth about 200 lawn mowers. You either pay now or pay later.

Many people run 2-cycle, air-cooled leaf blowers at full RPM for hours on end.

I'm not "arguing" anything here, I just want to understand how a product with a well-respected name from a major corporation could make fraudulent claims that could damage or destroy an engine (based on what those here have said).

Just because it says TCW3, does not mean that the lubricating properties needed for non outboard use is not there.

The TCW3 lube is a lower pollution rated oil.

Keep in mind... Buyer Beware of any product.

Jim

Full RPM on a leaf blower is around 3-4K and it is relatively stress free.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

Full RPM on a leaf blower is around 3-4K and it is relatively stress free.

What does that have to do with the appropriateness of TC-W3 for air-cooled applications? It would seem to indicate that TC-W3 is more robust and would work well for air-cooled applications.

My question is borne from the statements in this thread that indicate that using TC-W3 in air-cooled, 2-cycle engines would be damaging. I'm trying to understand why companies say that is not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back