TC-W3 Oil add to fuel in vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have looked over on the other thread I mentioned this:

Originally Posted by MolaKule
In TC oils, the majority of components are Multi-Functional Friction Modifiers/AW's where most of the friction modifier/AW's are one or more polyisobutylenes of various molecular weights. Older formulas used brightstock but brightstock leaves a host of deposits and residues.

In synthetic TC-W3 oils, the Multi-Functional Friction Modifiers/AW's are a combination of polyisobutylenes of various molecular weights and POE's of Trimethylol Propane (TMP) esters. The TMP esters may also do some cleaning of the combustion system while in aerosol form.

In ancient TC formulas, a Stoddard solvent had to be added in order to get the brightstock and other heavy oils (Group I and II 30 grade oils) to go into solution, but TMP esters now take care of solubility issues.

Base oils may be Group III oils, and or some PAO's, but are minority components.

The additives are: a polyisobutenyl (ashless) succinimide dispersant, a phosphorylated Borate (another AW/Anti-scuff agent), and a combustion enhancer of either a sulphurized oxymolybdenum dialkyl-dithiophosphate or a Titanium-compound.

Now I don't know what Formula Amsoil is using but these synthetic formulas have traditionally contained those smokeless burning polyisobutylenes.

Now certain types of polyisobutylenes has been known to improve fuel atomization, but in a 640:1 or even a 512:1 I think you would be hard pressed to detect more than a 0.25% improvement in mileage.

I did a little comparing at Walmart today. It appears that not all TC-W3 oils are created equal. My Walmart stocks 3 different types of TC-W3 made by Pennzoil alone. They also have several other various brands of tc-w3 that I didn't bother taking pics of. Have a look and let me know what you all think. Which of the three would you choose and why?
TC-W3 Google Photos Album

Reactions: a5m
Originally Posted by BlakeB
I did a little comparing at Walmart today. It appears that not all TC-W3 oils are created equal. My Walmart stocks 3 different types of TC-W3 made by Pennzoil alone. They also have several other various brands of tc-w3 that I didn't bother taking pics of. Have a look and let me know what you all think. Which of the three would you choose and why?
TC-W3 Google Photos Album

https://themarinelab.com/best-2-stroke-outboard-oil/

I was told it's GMO free, and would pass exacting EU/TUV standards
21.gif

Originally Posted by Kamele0N

Thats stupidity on square....thats why that movie stops at the moment when he would add that "sugar" into the fuel...

About 5 years ago I was running the TC-W3 in my wife's 09 CRV for a short time, can't remember why I quit doing it or what brand I used. She has a 10 mile trip into work which is normally at 50 mph with a few stop lights, and then on the way home the traffic is heavy so she takes a different route of 30 to 40 mph. So the car needs to really get on the highway a little more often. So without the TC-W3 there was always a small layer of black covering the inside of the tail pipe, but after running the TC-W3 through a few tanks at 1 ounce / 5 gallons it cleaned it up. So I'm thinking I may try this again to see if the black layer disappears again and to see if it will quiet the engine.

Originally Posted by kwijibo
About 5 years ago I was running the TC-W3 in my wife's 09 CRV for a short time, can't remember why I quit doing it or what brand I used. She has a 10 mile trip into work which is normally at 50 mph with a few stop lights, and then on the way home the traffic is heavy so she takes a different route of 30 to 40 mph. So the car needs to really get on the highway a little more often. So without the TC-W3 there was always a small layer of black covering the inside of the tail pipe, but after running the TC-W3 through a few tanks at 1 ounce / 5 gallons it cleaned it up. So I'm thinking I may try this again to see if the black layer disappears again and to see if it will quiet the engine.

Thanks for that... I'm interested to see if it returns if I stop using it. Might do that when my current tank it finished.

I do the same way. i have a small log book and can guess how much gasoline i need be fore i put fuel in. as i pay cash first. i think TC-W3 must help : i tell my self. LOL. LOL.

I've used this over the years. In my old 2005 Cadillac CTS-V with the Chevy LS6 and a Cam, TCW3 made it run a little smoother/quieter. Not debatable to me. I ran enough of it that the Iridium plugs had a green tint on them. That car got amazing fuel economy, it was just set up perfectly. There was a giant thread on LS1 tech about this, for LS enignes it just seemed to have a little magic.

I had an accord that loved a little acetone in the gas. Most cars, I notice no differences at all.

I've been having an issue with my wife's Nissan Expert (QG18), after a couple of years on 5W-30 A3/B4, I ran it on a 10W-40 semi synth to get rid of it, then going back on 5W-30 she says it's pre igniting. After trying different oils, checking this and that, I put 200mm of FA 2 stroke in the tank, she didn't know what I did, but said it's much better. I just did it again, and she says it's 85% better. Without knowing I put something in the tank, both times she's noticed a difference, so something is happening.

Now I just need to know why it started doing this after changing the oil....

I thought about creating a separate topic on this, however, I have observed the following with TCW3 -

My truck is 2001 F350 with a 230K mile F150 engine. 5.4 2 valve.

TOWING gas mileage has gone from 8 to 10 up to 10-13
TOWING oil consumption has gone from 1 qt/100 miles to 1 quart / 1500 miles

I just got back towing 500 miles through the hills of PA. This trip I have done a few times with this engine and it always ends up needing 5 quarts of makeup oil. This time I had to add 24oz of oil. There was one hill climb where I was running the engine between 3500 and 4500 for a few minutes. I thought for sure it would have used a ton of oil. I have switched on and off (taking a month to get all of the TCW3 gas out of the gas tank) and 1200 miles ago I towed a vehicle back and it was using 1 quart every 100 miles.

Towing MPG is the only real way I can compare gas mileage in a consistent manner.

In its normal usage, I do dump runs or lowes runs with the occasional highway driving. It varies too much to get any sort of consistent readings.

Oil consumption not towing is always 1 quart / 1500-2000 miles. This hasn't changed much since adding tcw3 at 1oz/5 gallons to the tank.

Originally Posted by BigShug681
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Wanted to add: Anyone who ends up with a dirty tail pipe from TCW3 might want to consider that soot is coming from your engine's insides, and not from the TCW3. It will release carbon from the engine, and it will end up on your tail pipe.

Also, stick with TCW3. 2SO for air cooled engines is meant for a hotter environment. It may not burn as clean and leave deposits.

A little off topic but I used some AMSOIL Power Foam on a garden tiller that was running rough and after I finished the can on it the muffler was black like my diesels exhaust, I was curious as to why but what you said probably applies and it's just all the carbon from the engine

I used power Foam on a Kohler Generator engine and purging the cylinders dirtied an entire package of rags with pure black carbon. Some of it came out in gel like chunks. Power Foam is a ridiculously good cleaner.

Took a round trip to my parents with the truck. I've made this trip 4 or 5 times since I got the truck two years ago. I usually take my car as it gets significantly better mileage.

Usually this trip is 13-15 mpg. I managed to get 17.6 mpg out of it, running the TCW3 1Oz/5Gal. Filled up at the same pump I always do. Let it fill up, click 3 times.

If the observed difference is actually due to the additive, one should take the initiative to inform the major oil companies. Can you imagine the marketing advantage they would have if their fuel gave a 25% fuel economy increase compared to their competitors? Wow.

Considering they are spending so much effort and money to eek out a sub-1% increase with oils, how did they miss this one?

My guess is it has some negating affect on the 230,000 miles of neglect this engine has had. I doubt there would be any decrease in oil consumption or increase in fuel economy on a newer vehicle with a more advance engine control system and a less worn out engine. It's definitely been proven to help with older mechanical injection diesels running ULSD

For all we know, this could be what's done to "top tier" gas.

Originally Posted by kschachn
If the observed difference is actually due to the additive, one should take the initiative to inform the major oil companies. Can you imagine the marketing advantage they would have if their fuel gave a 25% fuel economy increase compared to their competitors? Wow.

Considering they are spending so much effort and money to eek out a sub-1% increase with oils, how did they miss this one?

Price alone may be a factor, or government red tape, or emissions, etc.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
How well thought of is WM Super Tech TC-W3 in the gallon jugs ?

For this purpose it is just fine. It is what I use.

Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
How well thought of is WM Super Tech TC-W3 in the gallon jugs ?

For this purpose it is just fine. It is what I use.

Same but I just buy the pint bottles since I only use it for 4-stroke ope lawn equipment.

I ran it in my Jeep 4.0. Didn't see any noticable mpg boost. But the lift kit, larger tires, and m/t tread are going to knock the mpgs way more than what I'd see (if any) from tc-w3

Last edited:
So back in late April I mentioned I would start adding the TC-W3 oil to my wife's 09 CRV to see if it would clean out the black layer on the inside of the tail pipe. I've done this before and it worked in the past. So at a ratio of 1 ounce to 5 gallons of gas and a couple of months later, she only goes through a tank of gas about every 3 weeks. The tail pipe is now cleaner then when I started this little experiment. Sorry no before and after pictures. Shame on me. Will continue to run to see if it cleans it further. There's been no real change in her driving routine. I have recorded fuel mileage since new on fuelly and have noticed a slight increase in mileage about 0.5-1.0 mpg for this time of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back