TBN or TAN or neither?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was about to prepay for some Blackstone analyses and most recently I have done just the basic analysis and report. I see that it is an additional $10 + $10 to get the TAN + TBN #s. If I have only $10 to spare ;), which # yields more useful info? Is there any point to have either if it is not an extended drain?

$10 gets you both TBN and TAN from Wearcheck - $24 for complete UOA including TBN and TAN.

But to answer your question, if you're doing a lot of miles in relatively short amount of time, then TBN may be more useful. If your OCI is long in terms of time (say a year or longer), then TAN may be more useful. But all in all, you want both since it is typically the point where TAN starts exceeding TBN that determines whether the oil should be changed.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
$10 gets you both TBN and TAN from Wearcheck - $24 for complete UOA including TBN and TAN.

I didnt know that. Thanks for the info.

OT but what is the consensus re analyses or even just the raw #s from these two labs?

Probably that elemental numbers aren't comparable between the two labs. They may parallel each other in elemental numbers and not in additive numbers ..but will probably be consistently inaccurate within their own existence bubble ..and that may co-exist with other labs existence bubbles.

It's kinda like one of those temporal mechanics exercises where your watch is only in sync with the person standing next to you ..while they're next to you.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Probably that elemental numbers aren't comparable between the two labs. They may parallel each other in elemental numbers and not in additive numbers ..but will probably be consistently inaccurate within their own existence bubble ..and that may co-exist with other labs existence bubbles.

It's kinda like one of those temporal mechanics exercises where your watch is only in sync with the person standing next to you ..while they're next to you.

Moderator please move this post to the elemental physics forum
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Moderator please move this post to the elemental physics forum
crazy2.gif

thats gary for ya,big words all time.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back