TBN, can you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly Oil Extreme to raise. Or using Lube Control will keep it from dropping and make it last longer.

Yes one could raise it.
Should one? Maybe not.
What oil, and use and reason for
raising then TBN? What's your goal / fear / reason? Do you know the TBN value of your oil in it's virgin state? do you know it in it's slightly used state? do you know it in it's used state of say 1500 and 3000 miles?

Know these values first. Understand if your application even calls for it.

quote:

Originally posted by Baveux:
Can you raise the TBN number of an oil.

Any OTC stuff can do that ??

Thanks

Err ..Robbie? Did you take lessons in "hassle"?
grin.gif

I think that I've run into you from time to time. I go to a professional since I can't do the "one" thing (like the missing letter in the McDonalds sweepstakes thingie). I want my widgit and I figured out who can give it to me.

Hi! Can I get a widgit? (Can you raise the TBN number of an oil?)

What do you want that for? (Should one? What oil, and use and reason for
raising then TBN)

Well I'm trying to build this widgit wheel and I need one of your widgits.

Why would you even desire to build a widgit wheel? (What's your goal / fear / reason?) Seems to me that no one has any need for something like that.

I just want to build a widgit wheel.

Have you considered the merits of a "wheel-less widgit". They do pretty good on their own. Have you considered the liabilties of making such a widgit wheel? You really should fully understand wheel-less widgits before you attempt a widgit wheel, IMHO. (Do you know the TBN value of your oil in it's virgin state? do you know it in it's slightly used state? do you know it in it's used state of say 1500 and 3000 miles?

Now go forth, my child. Find the truth before you reach to the stars....(Know these values first. Understand if your application even calls for it.)

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

You wouldn't happen to be a supervisor, would you?? There's always someone in the way...
grin.gif

All in fun, pal!!

But to answer the question ....

I'm unaware of any OTC stuff that does this. Oil Extreme, as was mentioned, DOES raise the TBN of any oil (according to Terry to 13+)

[ July 09, 2004, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

"Can you raise the TBN number of an oil. Any OTC stuff can do that??"

YES:
1. Drain oil
2. Buy "mixed fleet" diesel lube
3. Pour in the high-TBN diesel lube

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Err ..Robbie? Did you take lessons in "hassle"?
grin.gif

*-*-

No, but I'd like to attend a class... one day I do desire to be a supervisor.
grin.gif

I think you can get my point.

You need to have an application to even worry about TBN in most oils today.

Now, if he is wanting to do LONG drains or not do ANALysis and push the oil to the MFG OCI limits, and wants a robust package.... well heck whatever...

My point is WHY, because maybe there's a good chance there is no need. But you never know!
smile.gif

smile.gif

I was asking that because I am using dino PCMO in my both vehicule. I am getting an oil analysis for both but without the TBN.I like to follow the oil life monitor.

My results aren't bad but I used the TBN analysis only once and it shows that my oil was almost shot despite the fact that the wear number and contamination numbers were good.

On the other hand I am reluctant to pay another 10 buck since many poster here are saying that this analysis is less then perfect.

So I was thinking about raising the original TBN to cover my a.s since all the other readings are good.

Baveux (is that pronounced Bravo minus the "r" ..or BAY-o??)

What oil are you using ..and what is the typical mileage when the oil life monitor indicates that it's shot? If you're using the OLM for your OCI ..and your UOA indicates that the oil is almost shot ...it apparently IS doing its job well (was that too many acronyms at one time?
confused.gif
) . At least from a $$$$ stand point. You also indicate that the wear metals are in line..

The cost of something like Oil Extreme kinda neutralizes it's use in your application...unless convenience is the number one factor. It could easily afford you another oil change ..or one more often anyway.

As was suggested, you would be better served starting off with a more robust additive package with a higher TBN. Something like M1 starts off at around 10+ ..Delvac about 12.5 ..yet Kendal (I believe) is at a mere 6.X. There is also some rhetoric about "TBN retention" that makes a given oil of a lower TBN last as long as one that is apparently higher. I'm uncertain of the soundness of this school of thought since, although there are buffering agents that can fix a given solution at a given Ph ..and require great amounts of acid to neutralize it ...the TBN test itself doesn't measure the magnitude of the polarity ..just the amount of acid required to neutralize it. Hence a heavily buffered 8 Ph solution may require 10X the acid that a non-buffered 10 Ph solution needs to turn neutral.

Some use TAN ..but I can't integrate the explanation of how it works. That is, those who understand the process are leaving a few gaps in the explanation. OTOH ..I'm somewhat challenged on certain "missing links" that don't seem to evade others.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back