Taurus vs. Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi

quote:

I paid $16k new, full loaded Corolla Sport. Can't beat that. You'll end up spending the difference on repairs for the Ford and Chevy.

15 yrs, 750,000 miles and never once needed a tow, all in GM cars.

A Malibu Ecotech or Taurus should serve well. A trans filter change annually and two other pan drops per year in addition to that should help insure a long trans life. I do that, plus added a B&M trans cooler and now have 224,000 trouble free miles out of the car's 4t60E transaxle.

Not sure if the rice cars could do that.

our 94 previa has 200k of perfect shifting miles on its 4sp auto... no cooler, just regular fluid changes about every 36k, no intention of getting any other service or rebuild work anytime soon...

Even our 96 E300D (MB IMO dont make the best auto trans) is doing A-OK at 180k!

Granted, the previa isnt exactly 'rice' in the purest sense oif the term (i.e. buzzy econoboxes), but it is an oddball
wink.gif

All the same, IMO auto trans is a LOT more work, lifecycle cost and worry, so personally Id avoid them if possible.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

Do you have any real evidence to back that up?

Yep. JD Powers, Consumer Reports and my uncle who had a Taurus and had nothing but problems with it. Now owns a Civic. I can't see spending $14k on a Taurus when you can get a more economical/reliable car like the Civic/Corolla for about $2k more. Ford transmissions are not that good at all. I put 180k miles on a 2001 Corolla. Ran like new when I traded it in.

A number of Fords (and other domestics) have recieved awards from JD Powers too.

And plenty of Toyotas have had head gasket failures and sludge problems with low miles. Hondas have had transmission problems. Problems can and will arise in anything as complicated as a car.

Call your insurance person and find out what it cost. Taurus and the Malibu are both one of the lowest cost cars to insure.
Corolla,Civic and Focus are some of the highest.

FWIW, per the state farm vehicle safety discount index (based upon real claims and actuarial data supposedly):

Taurus - 20% discount
Malibu - 10% discount

Cobalt - 10% discount
Focus - 0% discount
Civic - 0% discount
Sentra - 0% discount
Corolla - 0% discount

But there are other metric gradings too: liability rating and damage and theft rating.

Overall, it looks like:

Best Taurus>Malibu>Cobalt=Civic>Corolla>Sentra=Focus

But IMO the malibu will have less lifecycle cost than the taurus, due to transmission and quality. So long as you have $400 in reserve, youre protected from intake issues... You'd need $1500 in reserve to protect you from transmission issues in the ford. Probably at the end of the day, they come out to be equal.

http://www.statefarm.com/insuranc/auto/veh_rating/ratings.htm

JMH

You're young, get a little car! Nah, I rented a Taurus for a business trip in Tenn. and it was a real surprise to drive. It had a broken seatbelt sensor but otherwise....When I worked for FEMA down here during Katrita all the outta towner FEMA folk had Malibu or G6 rentals. The interior in those seemed pretty top notch for GM...

Why not a Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, or something of that nature if you truly don't need the room?

If you have a big car, everyone will want to ride in it and you'll be scrubbing McDonald's Ketchup out of your seats...
cheers.gif

I had a BMW 320i and a Ford Probe in college and it was great to get to mess up other peoples' cars and not mine when we all wanted to pile in somewhere. Speaking or which, I distictly remember one late night Super Wally World trip about 16 years ago when we packed NINE PEOPLE in a Mercury Sable sedan. You see my point here?
lol.gif

You're 16? Get something small and fun to drive. You'll be forced to drive cars like the Taurus and Malibu when you're 30-40 with kids. Why do that now?

Find something like a used GTI and maintain/fix it yourself. You'll have much more fun and you'll get an invaluable education on how cars work and how to keep them running. And you'll be well armed for the rest of your life in dealing with the automotive service industry.

I say this seriously; My first three cars didn't run when I got them. In retrospect, I'm quite thankful they came that way.

Limited to the two a Malibu is basically a 15 year newer design similar to Ponitiac G6 and Saab 93 for a rock bottom price. The Taurus
will is the older design which probably will have less resale.

quote:

A Taurus is an affordable family car with a big trunk, don't get one if your vehicle is supposed some sort of flashy image of who you are.

Well, I changed my mind.
smile.gif
Time for a new thread on the matter.

Forget about used cars. If I wanted a used car, I'll take the Saturn which I currently have. Remember, I won't be the sole driver of the new car, it'll just be another "family" car to say.

I'm not interested in the most fashionable vehicles, but the vehicle must be reasonably trendy and fashionable for someone of my age and gender.
wink.gif
lol.gif

[ July 15, 2006, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: The Critic ]

Never had a taurus but lots of experience with malibu.Ecotec runs like a v6 gets economy of 4 cyl[75 to 80 mph on my commute best mileage was 30mpg]].Had the v6,nothing to write home about.Get extended warranty[mine has had rack replaced and oil pan gasket,but only because I accept no leakage from anything].Its not toyota quality nor toyota priced.Both cars are big on rental,drivers ed and fleet cars.Most are probably maintained better than most POV's.Cars have NO resale value,13k sounds a little high in my book.I got mine for 11.Overall ,good car,clocking 90k now should make it to 200k with no foreseable probs.

So you're a young un eh? Wise choice.

Insurance savings will beat gas savings even at $4/gallon, probably, by driving an 'Old lady car'.

When I was 22 and starting out paying my own bills I drove a cadillac cimarron then a cutlass ciera. Both reliable cars.

Rented a 2003-ish taurus from enterprise when my own car was in the bodyshop. 15k miles and had a grimy "champ" $2 filter that looked like it was installed at 7500. (minimal yet acceptable maintenance.) Oil was full on the dipstick though and it didn't use any on my watch. Very impressed with the handling, I don't think it was "dumbed down" much.

But the stupid car got 27mpg with the cruise set at 65. My cutlass ciera with more power, more displacement, way more mileage, and a crude 3 speed automatic transmission, pulled 29 under similar circumstances.

Never got a ticket in any of my "old lady" cars. Add a ticket to the insurance for some flashy 4 cyl "tuner" import and you'll cry. There is something to be said for the "stealth" approach.
smile.gif

I am a Taurus/Sable man myself, as my mom is on her second, my sister on her second, and I just traded my third. We represented every revision/body style of the line with those 7 cars. 2 were wrecked (and survived very well I must say), 1 ate the transmission (an '87 model, bought used, maintenance records unknown), 2 are still in service, and I just traded mine in on a Colorado. Overall, they are very reliable, well built cars. My mom's current 2001 Taurus was an Enterprise rental. The only to really look out for on the 1996 - 2006 models is that the lower ball joints are weak, expect to replace those anytime after 50k miles. My sister's had to be replaced at 110k, mine at 50k, and my mom is still running on her OEMs at 75k miles. It really varies on a car-to-car basis. The transmissions must be flushed every 30k miles for longetivity purposes. That may sound expensive, but the cost to service the transmission is still cheaper per mile than the engine. The 3.0 Vulcan is, as mentioned before, a cast iron workhorse. The 3.0 Duratec is much more powerful though the all aluminum engine made the front end of the car lighter. Having driven Tauri with both engines, I can state that the 3.0 Vulcan handles better on ice/snow than the 3.0 Duratec when the same tires are mounted on both. I can only theorize that the reason is that the Vulcan places more weight over the front wheels. The Vulcan engine is also easier and cheaper to maintain. I can get into more detail, but this should suffice for your decision-making process. Good luck with whatever you go with.

My wife drives a 97 Taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan. Spark plug changes are pretty easy with basic tools. Plug socket, 6" extension and swivel head ratchet will get them all out pretty easily. Front bank is a snap. Rear bank can all be pulled by standing on the passenger side and leaning/reaching over to them. Oil filter change is just a wee bit tight, but not really a problem. If you pay attention, you can get the new filter on in about 30 seconds. Hardest thing was getting the filter wrench on the old one to loosen it.

Just keep the oil changed, cooling system clean and change the tranny oil every other year and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back