Taurus TX22

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm just wondering what makes the taurus tx22 more attractive than a ruger sr22 (full disclosure: my favorite semiauto pistol of any caliber) 22/45 or mark series, s&w victory or m&p22, browning buckmark, etc? even if i were in the market for a semiauto 22lr plinker the tx22's over ten round mags are a no-go in some locales. i'm not criticizing anyone's decision to get a tx22, just wondering what about it made it your choice over other more established plinkers. was the deciding factor the tx22's mirroring of semiauto centerfire pistols or...?

For me it was cost and ergonomics/size - I personally don't like the feel of the SR22. I do like the PPQ 22 but this came along for the right price.

As for plusses/minuses against the SR22, there's a YouTube review on that very topic. I haven't watched it yet, but you're interested, it's out there.

As an aside I did watch a review where the guy had seen on another forum that in military parlance, TX meant training exercise which does seem to fit the pistol? Another review video, the person said he spoke with the guns designer at shot show (I think) and it was stated that dry firing this gun will have no ill effect.

I ran another several mags of bulk type ammo (Federal, Remington and Winchester M22) totaling 150-200 rounds and really, outside of one stovepipe and a few that didn't go bang in spite of having a nice solid strike on the rim, it ran well. The failure to fires were all federal bulk. Doesn't seem to be picky with cheap ammo otherwise. The ones that didn't fire, I cleared, reloaded and they all fired the second time around.

thanks, the_eric, well stated. i can certainly see how the tx22 nicely mimics a centerfire semiauto pistol. i'm a huge fan of 22lr handguns, nothing better to softly and safely introduce newbies to the fun of shooting.

Originally Posted by jstert
thanks, the_eric, well stated. i can certainly see how the tx22 nicely mimics a centerfire semiauto pistol. i'm a huge fan of 22lr handguns, nothing better to softly and safely introduce newbies to the fun of shooting.

You're welcome.

I'm in the same boat as you - I used a borrowed PPQ 22 to introduce a girl who didn't like guns and who had no experience with them to shooting (at her request). I started by giving her some time with 22 shorts, then LR in a Marlin 60, then she moved up on to the PPQ and it worked really well. No bite and minimal bark meant she wasn't intimidated and she really had a good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back