TARGET advice: Use Heavier Weight Oil in Winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was strolling through Target the other day, looking for some of that $1.22/qt Mobil 1 15w50. I noticed on one of the oil shelves a little list of tips. One was to change oil every 3000 miles, etc… The one that caught my eye stated to use HEAVIER weight oil in the winter!!! I read & re-read the thing to make sure I wasn’t mis-reading.

Is Target giving misleading/incorrect advice? I would think their lawyers would want that thing to say “Use an oil recommended in your owner’s manual”.

I didn't notice any maintenance tips posted in either of the 2 local Targets, but I did notice that the shelf price is back to $5.xx/qt. Even though I haven't seen any on the shelves for over a week now. Another sale I missed out on because of lack of available stock.

It does seem stupid to tell people to put heavier oil in their cars for winter. Maybe you should point it out to them?

quote:

They definitely missed the target on that one.

lol.gif
What he said!

I thought you were going to talk about the $7/hr. teenager giving advice, but on something with Targets logo on it? I suppose it's all the same, don't take advice from any retail venue.

Flip a coin: heads = heavy / tails = thin.

[ November 03, 2005, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

Maybe they were trying to suggest GC?
After all, GC's 0W30 is "thicker" than most 5W30s you see.
Seriously, though, Target is out of line recomending that people "use different oil for different seasons" unless they're going to take the time to make a chart indicating which W number (0W, 5W, 10W, 15W) is acceptable at what low temperature and that your number on the right of the W should be what your automaker reccomends.
Otherwise they're cruising for a lawsuit when some guy runs 20W50 in his Ford 4.6 Liter or 3.0 Liter Duratec and blows it the heck up. There are a number of different combinations like that which add up to bad mojo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back