Tar Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove through road construction and my car is a mess. I
tried Isopropyl alcohol, the results weren't great. Someone
recommended denatured alcohol. Reecommendations? Thanks

Use Bug and Tar remover (Gunk brand seems to stick in my mind). Test in an inconspicuous area first. Stinks like crazy but works great, melts it away.

I've heard diesel works but don't quote me on that or blame me for any damage to your paintwork.

Also it is probably bitumen not tar, tar is no longer used.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bobbob
I drove through road construction and my car is a mess. I tried Isopropyl alcohol, the results weren't great. Someone recommended denatured alcohol. Reecommendations? Thanks

If it's really bad, go to a decent body shop and have it removed with thinner. Year back, I got a load of tar from road construction, and it was simply too big a job to tackle myself with normal consumer products. The body shop did it for $20, and they removed every last trace safely.

Prep-sol available at auto body supply stores, sometimes Walmart even has it.
Don't use use alcohol or god forbid thinner, the wrong kind of thinner can act just like paint remover or irreversibly damage the paint.
Kerosene can streak the paint depending on paint type, you can see this sometimes when Engine cleaner gets on the paint and is left too long.

Back in the old days, we would use gasoline to remove anything like tar or rubber. Now that we are an environmentally and safety conscious group of car guys, we would never use such a easy, cheap, and readily available product. Roger

Originally Posted By: RogerBacon
we would use gasoline Now that we are an environmentally and safety conscious group of car guys, we would never use such a easy, cheap, and readily available product.

Roger, I can't believe you said CHEAP!
wink.gif

Seriously, the one item I would like to emphasize is, that whatever you use, make SURE you wash all traces of it off the paint. Over time, any petroleum product will affect the paint.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Don't use use alcohol or god forbid thinner, the wrong kind of thinner can act just like paint remover or irreversibly damage the paint.

That's why I had a body shop deal with it. I was way too afraid of making things worse.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back