Tappets

I have an 07 Honda Ridgeline and a 98 Trans Am. Are the tappets in both of thest engines rollers or flat or what? I want to know so I make sure to use the right oil (ZDDP/nonZDDP).

Originally Posted By: BertWhitaker
I have an 07 Honda Ridgeline and a 98 Trans Am. Are the tappets in both of thest engines rollers or flat or what? I want to know so I make sure to use the right oil (ZDDP/nonZDDP).
Pablo takes a deep breath. Steps off of soapbox. No lecturing tone. Just asking a standard question or three. On the Ridgeline (they are "flat" cam followers), why would you not follow the owners manual? On the Trans Am - is it modified? How did the logic arrive at this point? I mean I am really curious why you would ask about the Honda.

TA is roller. Even if the Honda isn't roller, it's OHC and uses much less spring pressure than a comparable OHV engine. Any normal oil will work fine. I still use an oil that happens to have high ZDDP even though it's not necessary.

As Pablo initiated, just because a car has 'flat' tappets is not a deal killer for modern oils. Far from it. Most car still use flat tappets, or buckets. Not a problem at all. High performance cams and high spring pressures present the problem, and that mostly with break in.