Tans.Cooler Hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed a leaky transmission oil cooler hose on my 2008 Dodge Dakota 4.7..it was leaking at the factory crimp.So i replaced it with a 3/8 size rubber fuel hose that i double clamped each end for good measure..question is..is it ok to use the fuel hose.Its only a measley 8inch length

No. you need transmission cooler hose and use FI clamps to secure it.
Fuel hose is not rated for the same psi and deteriorates with oils, worm clamps just make matters worse.

Use these clamps, they come in 3/8.
SAM_1244.jpg

Yeah, I usually use fuel line or tranny line! Both are petro resistant! And I've never had issues. Same for the power steering line too!
smile.gif

I've also used fuel line to repair transmission cooler lines. No problems as of yet. Last time I installed a remote filter I did use actually oil hose but really I don't think it makes alot of difference.

Fuel line is not designed for the higher temps that a transmission cooler will experience. How long it will last is anyone's guess.

Worm clamps don't work so well, I agree. I had to make an emergency line repair and has to use 3 or 4 on each side before it would stop dripping

Trav is correct.

Fuel hose and fuel injection hose does seem to get mushy after a while when I've used it for transmission line.

You may want to get a hose that is rated for oil and the smooth rolled edge clamps that Trav suggested, but there's no big rush.

Exactly, it is not designed to carry hot oils. It may last a while but it is not correct. This 8" hose connection is critical to the transmission, it should be done right with the right materials.

Originally Posted By: greasymechtech
Nothing wrong with high pressure fuel injection hose or worm clamps

Worm clamps are one of the worst thing ever foisted on the public. They cant maintain tension over a wide temp range, are not suitable for higher pressures and they cut hose if tightened too much.

http://books.google.com/books?id=hUoJAAA...uid&f=false

http://www.gmtuners.com/tech/trans_cooler.htm

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I've done it. No problems. Fuel pressure on my turbo Caravan is 55psi, transmission cooler line is ~20psi, maybe less..

Wayne

That's pretty irrelevant, considering regular fuel hose cannot handle 55 psi, and actually has "NOT FOR FUEL INJECTION" printed right on the hose for that very reason. There are rubber fuel hoses made for fuel injection that can handle the pressure, but the OP did not specify if he's using hose rated for fuel injection.

You should use trans cooler line. It is also way cheaper per foot than fuel injection line.

Thanks for the feed back guys.Its just a temp.solution until i get the proper hose..i will leave it on for a while until then.Just a little concerned about the fluid being so hot and the hose burst open or something..never done this job before with a high pressure fuel hose on a transmission cooler

Originally Posted By: heynow
Fuel line is not designed for the higher temps that a transmission cooler will experience. How long it will last is anyone's guess.

Point taken!
smile.gif

Its just for a week to stop the drip..i walk to work most days except on bad weather so the truck just sits.Im going to get the proper hose this friday and it will only take me 5 minutes to swap out.

I've used fuel line hose and worm clamps for years. Not a whole lot of pressure int he cooling circuit, at least on Fords. I drove all 200 miles once before the hose blew off due to me forgetting to tighten a clamp.
frown.gif

I used wire reinforced hydraulic hose once. This gets very hard a brittle. The regular gas hose I use will get hard over time, say 5 years. Never mushy for me.

Originally Posted By: heynow

Commonly available fuel injection hose (SAE 30R9) is rated for 275°F.
Commonly available transmission oil cooler hose (SAE J1532) is rated for 257°F.

This morning i installed the transmission cooler hose and used FI clamps instead of fuel hose.Took it for a HWY and short run... stop and go near home and no leak and checked the fluid level and it was on the hot mark so im good.Nothing wrong with the fuel hose and cleaned it up and put it in my tool box..but just to be on the safe side winter is coming and i dont want to be screwed somewhere..thanks for all your advices gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back