"Tank on empty" website

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://tankonempty.com/

This is as dumb as it sounds. True auto enthusiasts testing the limits of how much further they can go after the low fuel light comes on.

Like Chris Columbus, these daring pioneers go exploring the unknown, paving the way for the rest of us.

And as automotive websites go, they pretty much only have one focus. Sure, they talk about hypermiling and fuel pump maintenance.

Anyway, I found it trying to figure out if my corolla will go 60 miles on 1/4 indicated. When I bought it, the light was on and it was pegged at "E", so I know the gauge is capable of its full range.

I know when my light comes on, I have about 3 gallons left.
Ive stretched it a few times and put more than 18 gallons into a 19 gallon tank.
Thats close enough for me.

Oh, yeah, there was that one time I was driving down to Las Vegas following my dad. I ran out of gas in my old Cavalier while we were getting off the highway.
I managed to coast down the hill and he drove into the gas station, drove out the other side and popped out behind me, just in time to push me in with his F150. Smooth as butter. :p

When my Buick Century fuel light comes on it takes like 14 gallon to top it up iirc and it's a 17.5 tank. I would never dream of actually going with the light on but it's interesting.

When gas was $4+ there were alot of people doing that, I saw some cars stopped a few hundred feet from the gas station with a person walking to or from the gas station with a red gas can in hand.

Years ago I had a Porsche 911 [1973] I ran out of gas at an intersection with gas station on the right side of the intersection . when the light turned green I put the trans in first gear., cranked the starter and across the street I went. I always if possible refill at 1/2 tank.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
http://tankonempty.com/

This is as dumb as it sounds. True auto enthusiasts testing the limits of how much further they can go after the low fuel light comes on.

Like Chris Columbus, these daring pioneers go exploring the unknown, paving the way for the rest of us.

And as automotive websites go, they pretty much only have one focus. Sure, they talk about hypermiling and fuel pump maintenance.

Anyway, I found it trying to figure out if my corolla will go 60 miles on 1/4 indicated. When I bought it, the light was on and it was pegged at "E", so I know the gauge is capable of its full range.

Not only dumb, but dangerous, if your vehicle suddenly stops in fast moving traffic.

I had my G35 down to *** to Empty a few times. After 0 miles it changed to ***.
I've had the Taurus down to 5 or so. 17.5 gallons in a 19 gallon tank.
I've put 25 gallons in the F150's 26 gallon tank.
The wife ran her old Escape out of gas once.

All OEM Fuel pumps.

I always run them down. The only time I don't is towing the camper. 6-9 MPG means at 1/4 tank you better be thinking of gas as it's less than 50 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
On older GM SUV and trucks, running out of gas might cost you a new fuel pump.

Or [censored]. Or Tuesday. Or nothing at all.

I know from experience
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: wkcars
When gas was $4+ there were alot of people doing that, I saw some cars stopped a few hundred feet from the gas station with a person walking to or from the gas station with a red gas can in hand.

It was a common sight to see stranded vehicles. I just don't get this mindset of to save on high gas prices I will put in less fuel and expect it to last me longer. Madness. Now those people crate traffic jams and cost everyone else more in fuel.

Making extra trips to gas stations compared to "nearly full range" wastes gas, a downer if you believe supply/ demand charts.

Hauling, on average, less fuel around at any given moment means slightly better MPG as well.

They admit on their own site that they get naysayers.
smile.gif

I usually run my tank down to the 1/8 mark in everyday driving. But i never ever get on the highway with less than 1/2 tank and on trips i fill up at 1/4 tank.

Last edited:
Worst thing you can do to your fuel pump. I always refill around 1/4 - haven't lost one yet.

This stuff might be a good idea if your fuel filter has some capacity left and you need to fill it up. Also you can test your fuel pump and see how it tolerates running dry.

Either way you'll use about the same amount of gas so why not experience a breakdown in rush hour traffic or on some lonely rode at night.

You can also carry a gas can full of extra gasoline. That way if you get in an accident your family will be spared the expense of an open casket funeral.

my f350 would have severe fuel system damage if I ran out of fuel. I fill up at 1/4 or more. The car the wife drives and the 3 year old is always in it as well so fill up at 1/2 a tank. up here I have seen -53 celsius so an empty tank might mean you freeze to death.

I ran down to less than 1 gallon in the S2000 tank once(filled up 12.5 gallon of 13.2 gallon capacity) 30 miles after low fuel warning. Wife always fill her E430 when there was around 1/4 tank remaining.

Last edited:
If you run it to the really EMPTY mark on HOT days enough you will be buying a new fuel pump that is in the gas tank and relies on the fuel to cool the pump. The average cost for a fuel pump R & R is about $1G

I'm a UPS semi mechanic. The yard shifter drivers like to occasionally let their truck run out of fuel. They have a 165 HP 6.7L Cummins. That particular 6.7L Cummins survives running out of fuel. The injector pump in the older trucks with the 5.9L Cummins didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back