Tangerines + Lemons --> Marmalade

I'm spending this winter in California. I've been given a lot of fruit and produce by neighbors and friends. One person dropped off 3.5 lbs. of tangerines from the trees in their yard. Another person across the street has a bumper crop of Meyer lemons this year. I wanted to see if I could make a tangerine marmalade:

IMG_1670.JPG

The 3.5 lbs. of tangerines and 4 Meyer lemons yielded 13 half-pint ( ~240 mL ) jars. It's quite good and has a distinct tangerine flavor.

I'm spending this winter in California. I've been given a lot of fruit and produce by neighbors and friends. One person dropped off 3.5 lbs. of tangerines from the trees in their yard. Another person across the street has a bumper crop of Meyer lemons this year. I wanted to see if I could make a tangerine marmalade:

View attachment 204255

The 3.5 lbs. of tangerines and 4 Meyer lemons yielded 13 half-pint ( ~240 mL ) jars. It's quite good and has a distinct tangerine flavor.
I have some toast ready just waiting fir some.... :LOL:

Looks great! Meyer lemons make for great marmalade by themselves or in combination with other citrus like oranges, bitter oranges, kumquats, mandarins, tangerines, and grapefruit. I like eating Meyer lemons like other people eat tangerines - they are that sweet. Citrus and quince is a fantastic combination but quince isn't citrus so the product won't be marmalade. Ironically, the word marmalade comes from the Portuguese word for quince.

Last edited:
Got recipe notes you care to share?
It's the Orange Marmalade recipe from an older copy of the "Fanny Farmer Cookbook". I don't see an online copy of the book, nor an online version that looks much like this one. It's the first and only marmalade recipe that I've used.
Amuse yourself by selecting a name for your marmalade should you go national.
Hah! One of my sisters suggested that I get a booth at the farmers' market, selling the bread that I bake and the marmalades and preserves that I make. That sounds too much like work.

Back