Tallahassee 's finest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Try strolling through the projects.
Numbers speak for themselves. If the projects were trying to kill the police more police would be dead. Instead traffic accidents are the leading killer.

Especially being a cop in Tallahassee, wishing you were in Gainesville

Absolutely they are. Try being ostracized for doing our job the way you were taught; the way to do it legally and morally. And then, hear everyday about another officer being killed. It makes many paranoid. The better phrase would be aware and proactive for your safety.

He didn't overreact. The woman slapped at his arm likes others have said then proceeded to walk away. That's justification for force.

Originally Posted By: hatt

Numbers speak for themselves. If the projects were trying to kill the police more police would be dead. Instead traffic accidents are the leading killer.

The "projects" have killed many people. Far and away disproportionately high homicide rates.

Regarding the S.A. remark about "traffic accidents", why did you go so far off subject? Bringing in high cholesterol diets next?

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Absolutely they are. Try being ostracized for doing our job the way you were taught; the way to do it legally and morally. And then, hear everyday about another officer being killed. It makes many paranoid. The better phrase would be aware and proactive for your safety.
If you're paranoid you need other employment.

The "projects" have killed many people. Far and away disproportionately high homicide rates.

Regarding the S.A. remark about "traffic accidents", why did you go so far off subject? Bringing in high cholesterol diets next?
Do you even statistics bro? Projects are killing each other, not police.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JOD
As far as the safety of taser, you do realize that hundreds of people have been killed by tasers, right?

This is often repeated and way exaggerated. Often the choice when confronted with a drugged up, violent person is shooting them (with bullets) or with a taser. People have died when shocked with a taser, but they always have other underlying health issues that contributed such as extremely high on drugs (excited delirium) or an enlarged heart/heart arrhythmia. Never heard of a case of a normal healthy person being tasered and dying, but then again most normal healthy people behave and don't get tasered. Usually the drug component is partly to blame.

Taser usage guidelines:

http://www.policeone.com/police-products...ime-since-2005/

Read this and you'll realize just how extreme some here are compared to the guidelines drawn up by "police chiefs, medical experts, use-of-force experts, industry representatives"

Really makes me wonder what is the real reason behind such extreme views.

Quote:
22. A warning should be given to a subject prior to activating the ECW unless doing so would place any person at risk. Warnings may be in the form of verbalization, display, laser painting, arcing, or a combination of these tactics.

23. When feasible, an announcement should be made to other personnel on the scene that an ECW is going to be activated.

25. ECWs should be used only against subjects who are exhibiting active aggression or who are actively resisting in a manner that, in the officer’s judgment, is likely to result in injuries to themselves or others. ECWs should not be used against a passive subject.

26. Fleeing should not be the sole justification for using an ECW against a subject. Personnel should consider the severity of the offense, the subject’s threat level to others, and the risk of serious injury to the subject before deciding to use an ECW on a fleeing subject.

27. ECWs should not generally be used against pregnant women, elderly persons, young children, and visibly frail persons. Personnel should evaluate whether the use of the ECW is reasonable, based upon all circumstances, including the subject’s age and physical condition. In some cases, other control techniques may be more appropriate as determined by the subject’s threat level to others.

People will defend anything. Posting actual procedures and standards means nothing when there's a line to toe.

Last edited:
More police are killed by vehicles than guns and knives. Were you worried she may have had an SUV in her waistband?

Nope. Killed by gunfire has been the number one leading cause of death for officers. At least for the last 15 years that I looked up at odmp.org to verify.

Nope.

53292990.jpg

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
More police are killed by vehicles than guns and knives. Were you worried she may have had an SUV in her waistband?

Nope. Killed by gunfire has been the number one leading cause of death for officers. At least for the last 15 years that I looked up at odmp.org to verify.

You needed to look at the results closer.
Quote:

Line of Duty Deaths: 105
9/11 related illness: 1
Aircraft accident: 1
Automobile accident: 25
Boating accident: 1
Bomb: 1
Drowned: 2
Duty related illness: 1
Electrocuted: 1
Fall: 4
Fire: 1
Gunfire: 30
Gunfire (Accidental): 2
Heart attack: 10
Motorcycle accident: 4
Stabbed: 2
Struck by vehicle: 8
Training accident: 2
Vehicle pursuit: 4
Vehicular assault: 5

http://www.odmp.org/search/year?year=2013#ixzz3F1Scjeud

Now add up the categories. If you do take the time to add up the catagories you'll notice that officers are more likely to die from accidents and health conditions than be killed by someone.

Last edited:
No, not at all. Police are TAUGHT to be aware of their surroundings and to know and understand ANYONE can kill or hurt them. Mentally, police are taught to regard each and every person as the same. They mentally prepare themselves IF the person tries to hurt them. Nature of the business. And it seems you are really anti-police.

Just so you know also, many of those accidents were vehicular assaults. That goes into the "Struck by vehicle" category. If I remember correctly, 6 officers were killed in 2013 by vehicular homicide....

Good shoot. I have an idea: if you don't want to get shot or tasered, don't act aggressively towards police officers. It's simple. Some people don't have the mental capacity to understand that and demand kid glove treatment. I'd hate to be a police officer in one of those communities.

Why can't these people understand?
Why can't they show professionalism and courtesy to the police?

They can't show respect because they can't wrap their minds around the bigger picture. What they lack is the perspective that law enforcement respecting individuals have, keeping in mind that everything would be utter chaos without order kept by police and the military.

Why on earth would anyone be so stupid as to disrespect a uniformed officer in the middle of protecting the perimeter of a scene?

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Just so you know also, many of those accidents were vehicular assaults. That goes into the "Struck by vehicle" category. If I remember correctly, 6 officers were killed in 2013 by vehicular homicide....
Interesting. I figured they put all the vehicular assaults in the vehicular assaults category they have.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/01/us/florida-police-tase-woman/index.html

Well, I am not an officer, but it appears his superior saw enough on the tape to suspend him. I would assume if he saw the woman as being "aggressive" he would not have suspended the guy. Perhaps to get respect, police should show respect. As a law-abiding citizen I can tell you over 50% of my interactions with police have not been respectful towards me. Police should have a higher standard than average citizens.

ref

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back