Talked To Champion Labs - SuperTech, STP, Bosch Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a google search on Champion Filters, found their Technical Hot Line number (1-800-882-0890) and called to see if they'd talk to me. I connected to a guy who does not normally cover the hot line, but was willing to help -- even once put me on hold to verify info. with someone else. I specifically asked him about the filtering differences between their STP, Bosch, and Super Tech (Wal-Mart) branded filters. He said the Super Tech filter was indeed a good filter, and that its partially synthetic media was on par spec-wise with the STP, about 20 microns. (He claims that is slightly better than many oem filtes rated at 22-25 microns.) He said the Bosch premium is about 15 microns. He brought up the Mobil 1, and said that it was designed to be top-of-the-line with heavier case and higher filtering specs. (I forgot to ask the micron rating.) He volunteered his personal opinion (that I'm sure others would certainly disagree with) that the M1 could be "overkill" for some - it is for those who feel they want or need the very best.

Dutifully he mentioned many of the standard caveats, such as the trade-off consideration of higher level of filtering vs. flow, being careful of extended oil/filter change intervals depending on driving & maintenance habits, etc. He claimed that Champion developed the top bypass design for Ford, and that Champion does still provide oem oil filters for some of the Ford motors.

With regard to having a top mounted by-pass, he reaffirmed that it varied by vehicle application. As we here already know, most GM filters won't have a bypass valve and Ford applications are spec'd for top bpv. Unfortunately, he said many of the foreign applications have a bottom bpv. (My poor Maxima!)
frown.gif

Hope this informal info. is of value.

Now if only I can find an oversized reference for the Bosch....

That's some good detective work
biggthumbcoffe.gif
Any chance if you got any info as to why they are sold in limited/rare numbers?

Regards,

Oz

Funny thing is that Ford uses Motorcraft filters from the factory.

I wonder how Champion Labs filters would find their way into factory Ford cars
confused.gif

I know the V8 Motorcraft filters are in the same family as the Pure One filter, dunno about the Focus or Slowraus tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back