Talk to me about Crown Vics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MGregoir
Driving a Crown Vic is not like driving a car, scoobie, it is like driving the most confortable, fastest, best handling full sized pickup because for all intents and purposes that is what it is. A pickup with a sedan body, and for some of us, that is what we want.

It'd be nice if they put the 3-valve engine (292 hp 4.6 from Explorer/F-150) and 5-speed auto box in them as it'd make a pretty significant upgrade, but unfortunately they are not going to put the engine resorces into it. If Ford took their money and re-designed the CV/GM/TC, Ranger, Windstar/Freestar and the real Taurus when they needed it (or replaced the Taurus with the Falcon), they would have been in much better shape.

Have you driven a new 09 Taurus AWD? it's a totalyl different animal, that can easily compete with anything imported.

There's a reason why Ford is doing better than GM and Chrysler, that's because they have 1) a better understanding of the import market from their well-selling european division and 2) because they carroy over may of the items from their euro division.

Kudos to Ford, as I'm sure they'll lead the US market very soon!

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Originally Posted By: FXjohn
If only you could have a manual transmission
Ahhhhhhhhh. That would be beautiful!

AND with fold down rear seats! if they did, I would have had one long ago!

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
has anyone ever driven a V8 Lucerne or a G8?

The Pontiac G8 is sold as a Chevrolet Lumina SS in the Middle East, available both as a sedan and coupe. It a beautiful machine in many departments; acceleration, handling, braking...you name it. It's also one of the few GM products that have a decent build quality, but then again its a Holden and the Australians build some very decent vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Warlord
One problem we've had with every crown vic so far is the gas gauge not working at all or working intermittently. The dealership has "fixed" this problem many times but they never work for more than a month.

I had the same problem with my '07 Grand Marquis. Thankfully, it was sorted under warranty...problem seems to be with the 06+ gauges. My odometer also blanked out a couple of times, and eventually they replaced the cluster.

Originally Posted By: Stanley Rockafeller

Have you driven a new 09 Taurus AWD? it's a totalyl different animal, that can easily compete with anything imported.

!

Is it available in manual like a subaru is? I kinda doubt it

Got the girlfriend a used '04 Mercury Grand Marquis (same car as Vic). She totally loves the car. Spacious, smooth and comfortable as they come, not bad mpg for a large sedan V-8 (24 hwy. if driven easy), safe and rugged, and as reliable as ANY car in the world. Fleets upon fleets of cops, taxis, and other groups have driven this car in conditions that would crush other, less capable vehicles. I know of taxis that have over 300k miles on them and have heard of many lasting into the 400k range. Used prices on these cars is astoundingly cheap right now and in my opinion it IS THE BEST car in the used market right now. New, these cars can run over $30k....used, with only 30 to 40k miles you can pick one up for $6k to $10k....depending on year and model. I think the best bets are the Grand Marquis. Many folks seem to prefer the Crown Vic because of the cop car look and name recognition.....but the Marquis is less known, seems to be slightly cheaper (was more expensive than vic when new), and has slightly better luxury choices.
Thes cars are simply GREAT and if I had the money I would get another one asap.

what does it matter? it's more comfortable, cheaper for parts and maintenance, and doesn't have leak issues like the flat engine design of the subaru.

And it's far cheaper to purchase, and insure!

Originally Posted By: crw
You had your Subaru up to 160mph? Hmmm...

Just don't try to outrun a CVPI, no matter what you might think!

He's got the N/A version, his won't do 160Mph.

This is also the first I've heard of him owning a Crown Vic.

We've got a 96 Crown Vic with 4.6 and the POS plastic intake.

Been there did that,replaced the cracked intake with a non-plastic intake
thumbsup2.gif

Right now,the car has 220,000 miles and still runs great!

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Out of curiosity, what does it cost to replace a plastic intake with a metal one, assuming I do the work myself?

I replaced the plastic intake manifold on my former '96 CV.

I bought the Dorman OEM replacement with the aluminum coolant crossover. It was about $200. That was a few years ago.

Check out cv.net A ton of Vic info.

Also check out '06-'08 Ford 500's and Merc Montego's. great cars and good prices on used models.

Crown Vics are great, but horrible on gas mileage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MinivanMauler
Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Out of curiosity, what does it cost to replace a plastic intake with a metal one, assuming I do the work myself?

To my knowledge there are no all metal intakes for cars. Only the front coolant tube is alum. which works well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Islandvic

I bought the Dorman OEM replacement with the aluminum coolant crossover. It was about $200. That was a few years ago.

Also check out '06-'08 Ford 500's and Merc Montego's. great cars and good prices on used models.

You say crown Vics get horrable mileage. Copmpared to what? My Merc Grand Marq. gets 19 town 25 hyw. Not bad for a big car.

I get 26 mpg on the highway and 19 with mixed driving..I don't think that is bad for a full size sedan..That is with the a/c on all the time as I haven't shut the a/c off since I bought it back in 05.

I test drove a Ford 500 and a Montego. I found that I was much more comfortable in my C.V.

Originally Posted By: tig1

You say crown Vics get horrable mileage. Copmpared to what? My Merc Grand Marq. gets 19 town 25 hyw. Not bad for a big car.

+1

Very safe, indeed..

Horrible MPG???? You must have had a seriously out-of-tune Crown Vic then. They get very good mileage for a V-8.....and even if it was a V-6 it wouldn't be considered 'horrible'. This misinformation about Crown Vics/Grand Marquis is probably a major reason the car didn't get as popular with the general crowd as it could have.
It's simply the best used car deal out there and one of the most reliable, well built cars ever designed.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Horrible MPG???? You must have had a seriously out-of-tune Crown Vic then. They get very good mileage for a V-8.....and even if it was a V-6 it wouldn't be considered 'horrible'. This misinformation about Crown Vics/Grand Marquis is probably a major reason the car didn't get as popular with the general crowd as it could have.
It's simply the best used car deal out there and one of the most reliable, well built cars ever designed.

X2

Originally Posted By: scoobie
Also, the Subaru Impreza is much quieter, the ride is much more stable and controlled, feels like it's glued to the road, and in case you would like to over take on a two lane highway, the Subaru engine just takes off like a jet. The flat four engine has no counter weights, because none are required, meaning it will rev like a bat out of *()&. Top speed of Impreza
is 160 mph and it is stable at that speed. Top speed of CV is maybe 125, and you feel like you're on the high seas, noisy as all getout, and just about ready to disintegrate. The CV platform is a joke. I used to be a Ford believer, but I just got rid of my last one, and good riddance.
If I could afford it, Subaru would probably be the ONLY foreign make I'd consider. I looked at a couple at a show in Cleveland last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back