Talk Some Sense into an Oil Thickie?

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2022
Are there a lot of non synthetic A5/B5 rated oils? My point is that if you're running an oil with that rating, then it's not an oil quality or economics issue. Mexico may tend to be warmer on average, but 0 degrees C in Mexico is the same as 0 degrees C in the US.

I'd believe the US recommendations more if they varied over the temperature range or use case, allowing for the fact that not all operating conditions are the same. Instead they say 0W-20 and nothing else, in all temperatures, in all applications, all the time, no matter what.

These CAFE oil requirements feel like the old 55 mph national speed limit. Yes, trained engineers did studies on the freeways they'd built, applying scientific principles to determine the optimum travel speeds with which to set speed limits. Then politicians came in and threw out the studies. They replaced it with "55 sounds safe, so you can never, ever, under any circumstances go faster than that."

The world is too varied and too complex to be regulated by these kinds of one size fits all policies.
55 wasn't about safe it was about saving fuel.

*What about say a Hyundai 2.4L GDI Theta II spec'd for 5W20 - yet has a known engine bearing problem with the result being a lot of Hyundai service centers and do it yourself oil changers switched to 5W30 ?

*What about say a Hyundai 2.4L GDI Theta II spec'd for 5W20 - yet has a known engine bearing problem with the result being a lot of Hyundai service centers and do it yourself oil changers switched to 5W30 ?
That particular engine was probably not engineered to to make use of xW20 viscosity oil. Knowing Hyundai they probably specified it because Toyota specified too.

That particular engine was probably not engineered to to make use of xW20 viscosity oil. Knowing Hyundai they probably specified it because Toyota specified too.
Toyota and all the rest of them. It comes down to needing to follow suit whether or not the engine has the ability to hold up or not.

In that Honda 1.5L turbo I would be using a 0w30 Euro oil (non resource conserving) oil while monitoring for changes in how it sounds at idle and while pulling hard and of course watch for any consumption or odd driving behaviours. A standard (synthetic) 5w30 would only make me feel better while its still newer and I would watch out for sheering and or fuel dilution towards the end of the OCI.

Having owned a high reving Honda which I ultimately let go of for having a still running but worn out engine, I wish I could go back in time and do all of my oil changes with a 30 or even 40 that held up under extreme conditions (euro). I feel the resource conserving stuff failed me even while doing -all changes adhering to the severe schedule. the engine is still running today, but it’s a check the gas fill the oil kind of car now at 160k miles.