Taking suggestions on OIL with Valve Cover Pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2000 4Runner 4wd 5speed 3.4 V6 with 137K miles, purchased used June 2006 with 72K. Mobile 1 EP 5w30 for the first couple of years. Changed oil about 3K-5K, a lot of city stop-n-go/city freeway driving in those days. Now I use PU 5w30 and still change in the 3K-5K. I use Napa/Wix gold oil/air filters. I usually change out my air filters about 2-3x per year.
It’s that dusty here!!

Driving is mixed. M-F short trips to and from work. Weekends, Ill load up the SUV with camping gear and drive about 200 miles to the forest about every weekend in the summertime. I also drive a lot on dusty roads and explore the Sonoran desert.

I would continue to use the PU but I can’t locate it in my area. I would like to take suggestions on new oil I haven’t used before. I’ve searched and I’d like to try the Castrol Edge 0x30 German or Valvoline full synthetic.

IMG_20121124_131738.jpg

PP 5w30 or M1 0/5w30. Try to run it for 5-7k at least?

I would be shopping for one of those AFE pro dry filters and a filter monitor(tattle tale) if you need to change air filters that much.

Napa syn for $3.49 / qt will do just fine for your application. Its Synpower with slightly less additive content. With an engine that clean, you don't need to worry about much else.

Wow, nice looking engine. I have 3 jugs of PU and glad I bought them at the local WM when they began discontinuing carrying them for $21.97 with a $10 rebate.

Says something about shorter OCI's

Last edited:
If you're set on 3-5k mile oil changes, just use SuperTech synthetic and the oil filters that you currently use. At that short of an interval, any synthetic will be fine. The NAPA syn is another good suggestion as it's on sale this month.

As for the changing of the air filter multiple times per year, get one of these:

http://www.filterminder.com/gafi_grommet.asp

Then you can know exactly when the filter has gone from filtering to clogged and you won't be tossing perfectly good filters. It should pay for itself in a year or so at the rate you're going through them.

If you're not set on synthetic, any of the conventionals from Pennzoil, Quaker State, Mobil, Castrol, or Valvoline can easily handle your regiment.

I'd start with a dose of ARX, followed by kreen and then MMO to really clean it up.
wink.gif

Any good 5w30 and you're set. These engines run quite a while, I've seen. And the ATXs seem to handle minimal (i.e. no) maintenance too!

Since your engine seems to like Pennzoil formulation, why not stick with Pennzoil...like PP? or PYB...since you're OCI is 3-5k

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
If you're set on 3-5k mile oil changes, just use SuperTech synthetic and the oil filters that you currently use. At that short of an interval, any synthetic will be fine. The NAPA syn is another good suggestion as it's on sale this month.

As for the changing of the air filter multiple times per year, get one of these:

http://www.filterminder.com/gafi_grommet.asp

Then you can know exactly when the filter has gone from filtering to clogged and you won't be tossing perfectly good filters. It should pay for itself in a year or so at the rate you're going through them.

If you're not set on synthetic, any of the conventionals from Pennzoil, Quaker State, Mobil, Castrol, or Valvoline can easily handle your regiment.

Filterminder's not a bad idea...but replacing your air filter every time is wasting your money. If they make it for your vehicle, get the Amsoil air filter, just a quick vacuum and you're back on the road - plus it's guaranteed for 100,000 miles.

Last edited:
Almost any synthetic will be just fine. Buy whatever synthetic is on sale and you'll be saving money and doing your motor a favor.

That thing is amazingly clean, honestly.

1997 4Runner owner here which recently rolled past 300,000 miles.

Last couple years I've been running German Castrol and a Bosch Distance Plus oil filter for 15,000 miles and yearly oil change with a top off of less than 1/2 a quart. It averages 20mpg on highway driving and I'm not afraid of running it to 5400rpm redline daily nor sprints up to 105mph on interstate on occasion when everyone else is running around 90mph in fast lane around Chicago. Also consider Mobil 1 5w-30 EP w/ a Mobil 1 can.

Keep up on overall maintenance and our 4Runners w/ the 5VZ-fe 3.4L V6 will easily make it past 500,000 miles.

This owner of a 1999 4Runner on T4r.org has surpassed 600,000 miles all original engine and trans. LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back