Taking over the service... Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys after lurking and reading for a loooong time I'm gonna throw up my garage for your recommendations. I got laid off last year so I'm trying to service my cars myself and have come to the realization I'm keeping them till they absolutely rot away.
#1. 2009 accord coupe k24. Currently has 56k miles and I always brought to dealer for the oil changes. In my old job I was doing around 70 miles round trip a day back roads and easy highway driving,and was waiting till 15% to get the oil changed. Now that I'm working and going to school close to home it's more if a city car. Most of my trips are less than ten miles and 95% under 3500 rpms. I do try to ring it out every once and again and I do moderate warm ups and slow pull always if that matters. My wife works for Walmart so I get 10 percent off so I usually purchase oil filters from there in the past unless another place has a good deal . After extensive reading here was my choices I look forward to your inputs.
Motorcraft 5w20 blend...cheap and good uoa,s similar to the honda blend oil afaik
Mobil 1 ow20
Royal purple ow20
Or another brand edge maybe?
Car#2
1995 wrangler 2.5 178k miles lifted 4 inches 33 inch tires snorkel etc. used this extensively off roading but have since been more cruising with it to keep from having to drop as much money into it. I usually drive it once a week and I try to let it warm up and if I'm gonna use it take it for at least a trip that will be 10 plus miles. Engine seems strong I've put about 4000 miles on in 1.5 years though. Currently it has peak 10w30 and a driveworks filter
cry.gif

What I'm thinking with this is from my research there's not really a reason to use 10w30 anymore since you can get a 5 or 0 for the cold starts . Also I know these motors like the thick oils. My idea was a spring change with rotella or another truck oil 40 weight and a fall change with a 5/30

Again I appreciate everyone's opinions! Thanks

I use the advance auto parts filters as "filler" when I buy other parts and am trying to reach a coupon threshold. What bugs me is the last year or two their purolators have gone waaay up in price and the driveworks one is not universally praised, and made in red china. A GM Ecotec cartridge filter from advance is $8.99 now and 1/3 that from Wallys!!!

OTOH the purolator classics from WM are good at $3.27 and better at < $3.
laugh.gif

Watch the rebate section here, there are odd deals to be had. Peak 10w40 from Amazon for $1.57/qt last month (expired now).

Nothing wrong with MC oil...but if its just a dollar or two more for a syn like QSUD, I would go that route.

For the jeep....T6 is an awesome oil, but I would choose QS Defy 5/30.

QSUD 0W-20 is less than $21.00/jug at Wally and would be a good choice for the Accord.
M1 0W-20 is around $26.00/jug at Wally and is probably the better oil.
Change the Accord per the MM.
You can buy the OEM filter cheaply online and it would be a solid choice.
Most Japanese OEM oil filters favor flow over fine filtration.
Makes you wonder what they know that we don't.
For the Jeep, Rotella T5 10W-30 once a year would be fine, as little as you use it.
T5 seems to be a great sleeper oil and is around $13.00/gal at Wally.
There is a really good UOA of this oil from a 7.5K run in a 2.5i Subie in that forum.
I hope your employment situation changes soon.
It is rough to be without work.

For the Accord:
If you chose conventional or synthetic-blend, run the OLM to 35% or 7-8 months.
If you chose a synthetic run the OLM down to 5% or 12 months. Use a extended performance filter if you chose the synthetic route.

For the Jeep:
Keep running conventional. Change it twice a year. Put 10w-30 in during May, and fill with 5w-30 in November

Originally Posted By: cascivic
Ok guys after lurking and reading for a loooong time I'm gonna throw up my garage for your recommendations. I got laid off last year so I'm trying to service my cars myself and have come to the realization I'm keeping them till they absolutely rot away.
#1. 2009 accord coupe k24. Currently has 56k miles and I always brought to dealer for the oil changes. In my old job I was doing around 70 miles round trip a day back roads and easy highway driving,and was waiting till 15% to get the oil changed. Now that I'm working and going to school close to home it's more if a city car. Most of my trips are less than ten miles and 95% under 3500 rpms. I do try to ring it out every once and again and I do moderate warm ups and slow pull always if that matters. My wife works for Walmart so I get 10 percent off so I usually purchase oil filters from there in the past unless another place has a good deal . After extensive reading here was my choices I look forward to your inputs.
Motorcraft 5w20 blend...cheap and good uoa,s similar to the honda blend oil afaik
Mobil 1 ow20
Royal purple ow20
Or another brand edge maybe?
Car#2
1995 wrangler 2.5 178k miles lifted 4 inches 33 inch tires snorkel etc. used this extensively off roading but have since been more cruising with it to keep from having to drop as much money into it. I usually drive it once a week and I try to let it warm up and if I'm gonna use it take it for at least a trip that will be 10 plus miles. Engine seems strong I've put about 4000 miles on in 1.5 years though. Currently it has peak 10w30 and a driveworks filter
cry.gif

What I'm thinking with this is from my research there's not really a reason to use 10w30 anymore since you can get a 5 or 0 for the cold starts . Also I know these motors like the thick oils. My idea was a spring change with rotella or another truck oil 40 weight and a fall change with a 5/30

Again I appreciate everyone's opinions! Thanks

I would not run a xW40 unless your manual calls for a 40 weight.

Don't fixate on engine oil and filter. You need to deal with the transmission and its filter. Maybe add an inline transmission filter ($20). And the body and frame (Fluid Film or CarWell).

Thanks for your input guys. For 26 plus filter I guess you really can't go wrong with the m1 if you push the oci out to 0% on the mm. I know the k is easy on oil maybe ill change it now and then run it out to 7500 and do a uoa on it

I forgot to put that all the major other services I have done myself on the car I did a dump and fill at 42k and plan on doing one every other oil change, also did ps flush and brake fluid purge at the same time...this summer ill do coolant .

I'm going to research the Quaker state for both vehicles sounds like its a great value for money! Also was doing some research on oth the Toyota 0w. And rp 0w ?

My question is if you are currently unemployed, why would you be wanting to use an expensive oil like Royal Purple when QS or Motorcraft will do just fine? Honda engines are easy on oil. I'd go with 5w20 in the Honda and 5w30 HM in the Jeep year-round.

Because I want the best protection and to cautiously extend the oci...I'm currently employed and finishing my degree but my yearly wage has been cut in half...so I asked since before I was paying the dealer 40 to do it while I was at work now I have the luxury of putting whatever is best for the same money

For the Honda get whatever syn is on sale at the time of oil change. If your sticking to the choices provided I'd pick royal purple over Mobil any day of the week.
There is a thread here where 2 similar year mustangs had the valve covers off and the RP can showed significantly less wear than the Mobil cam. Try searching mustang royal purple or something similar. It's like 35 pages long but the pictures don't lie.
Wal mart has qsud and pp on sale monthly and in America they even put Mobil on special,so I would just pick whichever was on sale. Same for the jeep however I wouldn't jump up to a 40 grade just yet. Try out a few 30 grades and if consumption is consistently elevated with them then personally I'd use Quaker state defy. It's a syn blend and can always be found cheap.
As far as filters go motorcraft is always a sure bet. If you want to go longer than a single interval the new fram ultra can do 15000 miles.

Originally Posted By: cascivic
Because I want the best protection and to cautiously extend the oci...I'm currently employed and finishing my degree but my yearly wage has been cut in half...so I asked since before I was paying the dealer 40 to do it while I was at work now I have the luxury of putting whatever is best for the same money

There is no "best" oil. There are oils better suited for driving styles and applications but they aren't a one size fits all type deal.
I didn't notice in your original post but what kind of interval are you shooting for? If its 5000 miles then I'd go with defy in both. It's a syn blend and will easily do that interval. Extending oil change intervals into the 10000 mile range is doable with quality synthetics but I'm hesitant to go that far without data to confirm its acceptable. And data costs money to get. If your trying to save a buck that 25 bucks for a uoa is enough to do an oil change at 5000 miles.
And what if you do decide to do a uoa then on the next interval your trying a different syn,then to be safe you've gotta do another uoa to confirm the interval extension. Unless you are going to stick with the same oil again of course.
Anyways good for you on doing your own maintenance. It's satisfying and I find it relaxing.

Thanks or the input guys. I am probably go synthetic in the honda and run it down to 0 on the mm, the eep doesn't appear to use any oil so maybe ill go the defy route and a tick with the weight. I read some opinions and they seem to conflict... Some say 10/30 is kinda a dinosaur why not get a 0 or 5 w. and get the quicker cold pump, others say the 10/30 shears less? Was just curious at my mileage and interval it prob doesn't really matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back