Taking out a windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys My daughter has a 97-8 Olds Bravada I have to change the windshield on and I'm not sure if the rubber trim around it is reusable or not. If it is how do I remove it without damage?

Thanks

+1 to Steve S's comments.

If your daughter's bravada (most likely it is) is of the glue-on type of windshield, I would (if I were you), for the sake of safetly, get professional help. These glue-on type of glass, when done properly, supposed to be part of the structural integrity of the vehicle and those Urethane/butyl glue is a pita to service/handle, and the windshield will pop/fall off if not done right.

Q.

Leave this one to the pro's. It is not that expensive, plus you will know it was done right and it will come with a warranty against leaks should something happen.

+1 to leave it to a glass company. The pros can get the glass probably cheaper than you can and with a little labor costs will do it right. I also feel its good to always drive to a glass company rather than have them come out. I would prefer them to have every tool they could possibly need, rather than the few (in their mobile van that they thought they would need.

I've changed windshields that use a rubber gasket. Run a string in the groove and push on the glass as you pull the string. The string pulls the rubber gasket over the metal lip.

But Don't most new cars use a glue to hold the glass in now?

I had to change one in a 1968 Dodge Charger and used the string method and it worked like a charm.....but all the new ones are glues in with polyurathane...

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I've changed windshields that use a rubber gasket. Run a string in the groove and push on the glass as you pull the string. The string pulls the rubber gasket over the metal lip.

Funny that. I only used the string (and soapy water) for window installation. I'm not sure how you can get the string in the groove if the window is still installed. In any case, to remove a window, I did nothing but push gently but firmly on a corner of the window from the inside until the window would begin to pop out of the gasket. A helper assisted from the outside.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: Chris142

Funny that. I only used the string (and soapy water) for window installation. I'm not sure how you can get the string in the groove if the window is still installed. In any case, to remove a window, I did nothing but push gently but firmly on a corner of the window from the inside until the window would begin to pop out of the gasket. A helper assisted from the outside.
I was talking about installing the new glass. Every time I have seen glass removed the guy just kicked it out from the passenger seat.

So we were doing that the same way. My bad, I misinterpreted what you said. Forgive me!
wink.gif

Yes the windshield is glued in. $218.45 and they supply windshield glass and seal covered $125 bring your own windshield, and only seal is covered if it's not rusted under glass. Thats well worth my daughters and first grandbabies safety. Thats at the glass dr. only place I've checked so far. Thanks for the input guys

I had a windshield replaced once, and watched how the guy did it. You'll need one of these for easy removal:

ux_a08031100ux0063_ux_g01.jpg

There's also a pneumatic version, but this type works fine.

I've since replaced a couple of my own windshields, and it's no big deal. Just cut the old one out, trim up the old sealant with a utility knife, clean up the surface with alcohol, lay down a THICK (1/2"-3/4") bead of sealant (butyl or urethane, depending on application), and set the windshield in place.

I wouldn't suggest "kicking" the windshield out from the inside like somebody here suggested. Yeah, it's safety glass... but lots of little shards can still come off if you bust the glass.

Most new cars do use glue to hold the windshield in.It is best to call a glass shop to replace the windshield on the newer vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back